PDA

View Full Version : Korg...

professor
23-12-2003, 03:20 AM
Do any of you have thoughts about the MS2000r? I got the line on one 2nd hand and wondered if anyone has experience with it?

It has nice sound, but I think I saw it only has 4 voices...not a whole lot for complex textures.

thankyouallinadvance.

DJZeMig_L
23-12-2003, 01:48 PM
I know lots of people who'd swear by it... very used by loads of wonky style techno producers...

Not much on the way of presets, but a lot 2 dig into if u get your self into deep exploration of it's synthesis...

Z

professor
23-12-2003, 02:27 PM
thanks ZM. fortunately, I'm not much of a preset sort of fellow. While I don't know exactly what wonky style techno is, I like exploring for really crazy sounds.

I'll see if I can get it for a few days to "test drive"...

DJZeMig_L
23-12-2003, 04:16 PM
eeheheh... wonky techno (not that I agree with the term) = crazy sounds! :P

Z

MARKEG
23-12-2003, 04:28 PM
i know that the step seq on it is very useful.

jake
25-12-2003, 01:18 AM
ive had some good times on a ms-20 dunno bout the ms-2000 but it has the same form factor and somewhat dirty sound!

RichieV
08-01-2004, 06:35 AM
i have one

it has a really nice distortion effect on it which leads to some really raw sounding sounds. The synthethis on it is pretty limited tho. Very straightforward . No FM .

it is a very gritty synth

RDR
08-01-2004, 12:51 PM
You have bought yourself a winner. :love:

We use it in both live productions and in the studio. The Vocoder is really nice. The synthesis is NOT limited despite what the others say.

Having owned four different VA synths we love this one loads. The Nord is nice clean sounding, the Darkstar is slightly noisy on the o/p and the EA1 Electribe is annoying.

The Korg is such a great sounding synth, the VA architecture is truly analog sounding and continually suprises me with the sounds you can get out of it.

Keep it and enjoy. Sell it and weep. I have a also heard an MS20 and by god it doesnt sound far away from that sound.

Cheers

The Dodgster!

RichieV
08-01-2004, 05:04 PM
I have owned a

Virus
Waldorf Q
Nord 2
SH101
ms2000

and the ms2000 is my least favorite
I just find it very limiting. For example there is only 2 oscillators , there is no fm , the matrix modulator is pretty basic. The unison mode is quite thin due to its low polyphony. THere are a few things i like using this synth for but like i said its last on the list for me.

THe only thing unique i find about it is its distortion unit. Any sound without this , i find easily replicated with the virus or waldorf q

RDR
09-01-2004, 09:46 AM
Thats as maybe but the korg is a truly analog sounding piece of equipment and continues to suprise me.

I Agree about the virus being better.

And i think youll find that x-modulation is FM. Not the FM you're thinking of perhaps but never the less it IS FM.

To put the Sh101 above this (is it modded and does it have a MIDI retrofit or other system?? you didnt say) is picking at straws. What about the Korg mono/poly? What about any other true analog system??? You cant put the sh101 in the same catagory. The rest are VA and as such need to be judged on their merits.

For the Cost of an MS2000(r) you really are getting a winner.

Also the step sequencer can load in different tuning scales and it has a display that is more useful than the nord or the sh101.

The modulation matrix isnt the best, on this i agree, but the waveforms available are extensive.

the lack of outputs is dissapointing for sure but the vocoder beats the virus hands down.

All of the mentioned synths have their good points. Refering back to the original post, the ms2000r is a good choice. The sound isnt THAT thin and the price is excellent.

BTW - A virus...you lucky bastard! hehe!

:lol:

DJZeMig_L
09-01-2004, 11:05 AM
I still think MicroKorg is sooo sweet! especially with a software editor!

Z

professor
09-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Korg mono/poly...soooo nice, but pre-midi

I never picked up the ms2000r. x-mas came around and my toy money bought other people toys instead of me. If I can still get it in a couple of weeks (if the fellow hasn't sold it), I'll do it. I think I can haggle and get it for $350 US...we'll see.

thanks for all the input.

DJZeMig_L
09-01-2004, 09:59 PM
should b worth it 4 that price!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==