PDA

View Full Version : xp clean install - few questions.

rhythmtech
12-05-2008, 01:10 PM
im planning to upgrade my xp from home to pro and have a few questions.

1. am i better of running a clean install rather than upgrading? my current xp is pretty stable as ive re-installed it at least twice a year (although this has only been an install where i keep files, folders and settings).

2. if i was to back-up my apps with norton ghost would i be able to restore them without having to go thru the whole set-up process/registration process for them all again?

3. with norton my back-ups are "symantec image file" - how do i restore these if i decide on a clean install?

thanks.

TechMouse
12-05-2008, 01:31 PM
1. Almost certainly yes, if you have that option.

2. It depends what you mean.

If you install XP, install all your drivers, install all your apps, get everything running nicely and then take a snapshot of the drive, then you can reinstall the image next time instead of going through the whole process. This will certainly work.

If you mean take a Snapshot of Program Files then you will have mixed results. Some apps will work. Others will complain about missing registry setting and DLL files. Some will not work at all.

3. I would imagine that some sort of utility is provided.

RDR
12-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Why do you want to go to pro?

rhythmtech
12-05-2008, 02:08 PM
to utilise the 3gb ram switch amongst other things.

stjohn
12-05-2008, 04:55 PM
funny.. i just did the same!!

such a tiresome effort tho innit? my puter was knackered tho after that whole MSN virus affair.

ive always had a spot of trouble resetting those Norton backups tho. they worked once. but i couldnt get it last time. so i just reinstalled fully

SlimboyPhatt
12-05-2008, 04:58 PM
If you really want to utilise more ram, I'd go over to Vista 64 bit.

I have it set up, runs great!

rhythmtech
12-05-2008, 05:13 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i thought you were serious there for a minute!!!

id rather chop off my arm than go to vista!!
1 f'kin gig to run an os.. no thanks
and 64bit???? i'd have about 6 plug-ins that work properly!!!

SlimboyPhatt
12-05-2008, 05:27 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

i thought you were serious there for a minute!!!

id rather chop off my arm than go to vista!!
1 f'kin gig to run an os.. no thanks
and 64bit???? i'd have about 6 plug-ins that work properly!!!

Well I dont seem to have had any problems with my plugins. But hey Its your choice, Im just not afraid of embracing the future. ;) just playing dude. Horse's for course's.

I am actualy going away from PC all togethor and just using logic 8 on my Hackintosh.

rhythmtech
13-05-2008, 12:28 AM
well i'd like to say that was a nice experience but it was horrible..

still its done now and its running smoooooth.

TechMouse
13-05-2008, 10:31 AM

The general advice from most Music Tech vendors is to steer clear of Vista.

The driver support for pro audio cards is still pretty sketchy, and there are still stability concerns.

XP is as good as it has ever been for musicians, and Vista doesn't offer anything that would make the pain worth it.

Elvio Neto
14-05-2008, 10:11 PM
im planning to upgrade my xp from home to pro and have a few questions.

1. am i better of running a clean install rather than upgrading? my current xp is pretty stable as ive re-installed it at least twice a year (although this has only been an install where i keep files, folders and settings).

2. if i was to back-up my apps with norton ghost would i be able to restore them without having to go thru the whole set-up process/registration process for them all again?

3. with norton my back-ups are "symantec image file" - how do i restore these if i decide on a clean install?

thanks.

1. format and clean install its allways the best choice , becouse you will have a CLEAN install, if you upgrade you will have the same temp files and junk in your hard disk

2. i dont think that will work, norton ghost was made for full hardisc backup

3. you can make a bootable cd or dvd with norton ghost , when you need to restore just restart the pc with the cd/dvd on the bootable drive , then you will have several options (format and install with norton ghost cd , or just restore damage files in c: drive with norton ghost cd)

if you use the same drivers and programs vsts etc i recomend you do make a clean format and install of windows and all apps

then you make a bootable cd/dvd backup of the c: drive with norton ghost

everitime you need to format just use the ghost cd like you use xp cd... but the diference is it restore and format the drive in a few minutes with all apps drivers you need ;)

ps: this is the process they use to install the software in laptops with the same specs like asus/acer/toshiba etc its faster and ease to format and install

278d7e64a374de26f==