PDA

View Full Version : Deleted Albums

force
13-05-2008, 10:19 PM
This question is somewhat relevant to the 'Should music be given away free' thread i suppose.

Whats the situation with 'deleted albums' and the legalities about ripping and uploading them?

I have one such album i've been after for years and years and only just found it on ebay a few weeks ago. Its a work of genius and i would love to upload it for you lot. I'm just not sure if it naughty or not to do so.....

I'm sure some Boa peeps must know the crack

rhythmtech
13-05-2008, 10:35 PM
ive always been of the thinking that if the label hold the copyright and decide to delete the album then its fair game. only people that will gain are the rip off merchants on ebay otherwise.

usually if its re-issued it'll be re-mastered with extra tracks so people will but it anyway.

force
13-05-2008, 10:38 PM
So you reckon its ok to upload it then?

*bit scared*

:ruparanoid:

MARK ANXIOUS
13-05-2008, 11:32 PM
if it's ok mate i would prefer if you didn't upload. i think although it's deleted, the label still holds the copyright and tbh if there's a load of hassle about it, i would ultimately be the one who'd be responsible. hope you understand ;)

rhythmtech
14-05-2008, 12:08 AM
whats your thinking on actually getting a copy from a m8 who's already paid for it then mark?

force
14-05-2008, 12:14 AM
if it's ok mate i would prefer if you didn't upload. i think although it's deleted, the label still holds the copyright and tbh if there's a load of hassle about it, i would ultimately be the one who'd be responsible. hope you understand ;)

Yeah, no worries.

I didn't want to just post it up b4 i knew the score.

JamieBall
14-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Isn't it 50 years for a modern recorded work or something ? Got to wait for that time period to pass then u can do what u want with it (I think).

Used to be this way, anyways. They might have changed it since that wee gonk moby raped Alan Lomax to bits, tho. They certainly should have.

RDR
14-05-2008, 09:26 AM
The rule is 50 years after the DEATH of the copyright holder/composer

Deleted albums just mean it isnt in any official catalog anymore.

DannyBlack
14-05-2008, 09:52 AM
They might have changed it since that wee gonk moby raped Alan Lomax to bits.

Best sentence of the year!

Out of curiosity, what is the album Force?

JamieBall
14-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Out of curiosity, what is the album Force?

Dunno, my guess is they may be kinda like "THE AVENGERS" but more to do with music ?

Maybe they catch music pirates and/or people who misunderstand the 50 year ruling by using their various (tiresome) 'special abilities' and 'working as a team'.

That's my 2p's worth anyways...

RDR
14-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Dunno, my guess is they may be kinda like "THE AVENGERS" but more to do with music ?

Maybe they catch music pirates and/or people who misunderstand the 50 year ruling by using their various (tiresome) 'special abilities' and 'working as a team'.

That's my 2p's worth anyways...

My guess is that they catch music pirates through internet evidence and people being generally stupid. Also the prosecutions 'The Man' has smacked down have been, in the majority, aimed at pretty defensless individuals, look at the woman in america they sued, thats still going through the courts as well.

I know a couple of big techno artists that used samples from well known pop stars and never heard a single thing about it.

TechMouse
14-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Isn't it 50 years for a modern recorded work or something?

"Copyright subsists for a variety of lengths in different jurisdictions. The length of the term can depend on several factors, including the type of work (e.g. musical composition, novel), whether the work has been published or not, and whether the work was created by an individual or a corporation. In most of the world, the default length of copyright is the life of the author plus either 50 or 70 years."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright#Duration

DannyBlack
14-05-2008, 12:15 PM
no, i mean what is the deleted album force is talking about?

force
14-05-2008, 04:46 PM
no, i mean what is the deleted album force is talking about?

Its an early Tim Wright production.

GERM - GONE

released in 94 and IMO its one of the VERY best Techno/Electronica albums ever.

Then the bastard goes and deletes the ****er......

*stop press*

Just done another ebay search....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GERM-Gone-CD-General-Production-Recordings-IDM-RARE-OOP_W0QQitemZ350041090061QQihZ022QQcategoryZ307QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q 2em118Q2el1247

I VERY RECOMMEND THIS CD TO EVERYBODY.....

DannyBlack
14-05-2008, 04:57 PM
What do you mean by deleted? (sorry, bit dense)

rhythmtech
14-05-2008, 04:59 PM
record companies delte an album from their roster when they deem it not worth producing anymore.

DannyBlack
14-05-2008, 05:00 PM
I getcha! cool, will check it out later. nice 'un!

Jay Pace
14-05-2008, 05:14 PM
i think wrinkly ****er cliff richards ran into legal properties holding on to royalties of records he released 50 years ago...

I think he lost as well, although I didn't keep up with what happened
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6186436.stm

Basically because he released the record 50 years back he stopped making money of it. So i think its 50 years from release in the UK, whether you're still alive or not. Seems a trifle unfair...

DannyBlack
14-05-2008, 05:20 PM
For anyone else, yeah that sucks. for cliff dick its funny- what a cunt.

Aratron
14-05-2008, 06:05 PM
i think wrinkly ****er cliff richards ran into legal properties holding on to royalties of records he released 50 years ago...

I think he lost as well, although I didn't keep up with what happened
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6186436.stm

Basically because he released the record 50 years back he stopped making money of it. So i think its 50 years from release in the UK, whether you're still alive or not. Seems a trifle unfair...

i think it has implicaitons for one's estate though after death. should your children inherit their father's royalties; or that's something else that the **** own.

Mind you we are talking about 'Bachelor Boy' Cliff here.

RDR
17-05-2008, 02:49 PM
For anyone else, yeah that sucks. for cliff dick its funny- what a cunt.

he might be the emboiment of peter pan but the guy has a lot of nouce when it comes to the industry and he really had a valid point. Why shouldnt he make money off his hard work? Remember for an entertainer such as cliff his back cat IS his pension. After 50 years if someone said to you... "**** off you are not having your money that you paid into your pension fund" wouldnt you try and fight it.

50 years is a over half a lifetime for some folks, but imagine that it was you...

DannyBlack
17-05-2008, 04:36 PM
he might be the emboiment of peter pan but the guy has a lot of nouce when it comes to the industry and he really had a valid point. Why shouldnt he make money off his hard work? Remember for an entertainer such as cliff his back cat IS his pension. After 50 years if someone said to you... "**** off you are not having your money that you paid into your pension fund" wouldnt you try and fight it.

50 years is a over half a lifetime for some folks, but imagine that it was you...

I agree, like I said- for anyone else it is apalling, but once it is out there "it is fair game" (I can't remember who said that, I think it was Mick Jagger). I think, when you work for a company such as EMI, Virgin, Sony or Geffen and they hold the rights then thats where you fall down. Sure, it is cliffes work but when you break it down he was working for them and not the other way around.
There are smart people out there that have the backing to put their own stuff out under their own steam and are the sole owners of the rights. They have it right.

Work for a giant, put your head between your knees and prepare to get f*cked by a giant.

278d7e64a374de26f==