PDA

View Full Version : dave the drummer sample pack

davethedrummer
15-05-2008, 05:47 PM
i'm in the process of doing one right now
i just read a post about a robert natus in here
and you guys thought it wasn't all that

so i thought i'd ask
what do you think people want to see in a sample pack?

drums of course and i have plenty of original ones i have put together myself

but then what?

fx sounds?

loops ?

obviously not a load of generic old crap
i want to give people stuff i actually use all the time
any requests?

DannyBlack
15-05-2008, 05:53 PM

so i thought i'd ask

but then what?

fx sounds?

loops ?

any requests?

deadly! The Natus pack was what it was- a sample pack. i downloaded the loops and the 1 shots and they just came across a bit samie. don't get me wrong, im not complaining i love f=ckin around with hte wavs.

what would i want to hear in a pack? variety! simple as that really.

at the risk of sounding like trainspotter, your production skill is fan-bloody-tastic so im sure you'll bring it.

rhythmtech
15-05-2008, 06:04 PM
one shot synths/bass/fx
one shot drums
some midi patterns
and some loops (although probably the least important, these are what may well sell it for you)

also some presets for vst instruments. nobody ever really includes these but i reckon it would be a good way for people to learn how to get pro sounds rather than just giving them the straight sample.

paulcortex
15-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi Henry...

i think that the best sample cd material would be..

ALL the loops from live techno bollocks ;)

haha...just kidding!

no seriously...

hypnotic and tripped out sounds.

drum loops...broken down into their individual hits also

effects...swells...swooshes etc.

some synths...303s maybe.

obviously drum sounds...especially some dave the drummer kicks ;)

what about some loops from some of your
tracks that we can remix for you?? :)

id love to have a go at a few hydraulics tracks!!!

..in general ive found most sample cds to be shite
apart from maybe the ueberschall and vengance ones
i guess some original sounds, not the old detroit stab and hoover crap lol
AND NO MORE TRANCEY STABS.....PLEASE!!!

Athar
15-05-2008, 07:18 PM
everything what you feelin could be usefull for the producers to create their own style and push forward of the quallity/level all their music ideas mate.

but to be honest there is so many "mirror" producers nowdays,
you have your own specific style and my wishes is stay with just one dave the drummer, dont need to see next new hundred dave the drummers after sharing your sample pack over the internet.

acidsaturation
15-05-2008, 08:00 PM
one shot synths/bass/fx
one shot drums
some midi patterns
and some loops (although probably the least important, these are what may well sell it for you)

also some presets for vst instruments. nobody ever really includes these but i reckon it would be a good way for people to learn how to get pro sounds rather than just giving them the straight sample.

Kinda agree with all this. Though some multisampled synths etc.

Presets is good, 'cos that does give people an idea how to make their own shite.

I guess another thing is look at gear you have which other people are less likely to have - that's what I like to see on a sample CD - things I can't get rather than things I could with a bit of effrot.

tonyc2002
16-05-2008, 02:02 AM
Lightly processed sounds :cheese:

Loop
16-05-2008, 07:33 AM
I'd die for some of those fine kicks drums mate!
And i always need more of those driving perc loops, very hard to make and find good ones.

RDR
16-05-2008, 07:55 AM

so i thought i'd ask

but then what?

fx sounds?

loops ?

any requests?

Firstly one of the most important things to do to MAKE people want to use it is to ensure that everything is neatly ordered so that users can find what they want quickly. Lots of sub folders inside folders inside folders is a no no.

There's nothing wrong with a standard set of samples that people use, kicks, snares, hats, rides, spots etc etc.

Multi sampled synths are a total menace to make and besides lots of people use different samplers these days, you are not going to be able to deal with that kind of variation without tearing your hair out.

As long as you have your synth stuff labelled in key you'll be alright i reckon. Perhaps you might also consider adding what sort of swing a percussion or hat loop is in.

Lots of reverb is also a bad thing as it can often make stuff unusable.

like i said, nothing wrong with a standard set of samples, after all people will make of it what they will, but its important they can find their way around quickly.

acidsaturation
16-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Multi sampled synths are a total menace to make and besides lots of people use different samplers these days, you are not going to be able to deal with that kind of variation without tearing your hair out.

Why are they a menace. Play or get a midi file to play each note (or 3) over a few octaves. Not hard..???

I'm not meaning sampler patches. But I see so many sample packs with synth hits at about 3 notes (or just single hits) which are kinda useless...

Si the Sigh
16-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Enough sounds to create that monster track from Live Techno Bollocks that I always bang on about. ;o)

BloodStar
16-05-2008, 03:47 PM
some midi patterns
also some presets for vst instruments.

+1

RDR
16-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Why are they a menace. Play or get a midi file to play each note (or 3) over a few octaves. Not hard..???

I'm not meaning sampler patches. But I see so many sample packs with synth hits at about 3 notes (or just single hits) which are kinda useless...

I agree, not hard, but crap. If you dont mean sampler patches how can you play them over more than one octave without going out of pitch?

Creating decent sounding sampler patches aint much fun, believe me.

acidsaturation
16-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Well if you have them multisampled at enough notes you can play them over more than one octave, that's what I mean. If you make them into sampler patches. I've just seen various sample packs promising synth sounds and then just having single hits at one pitch which is useless. At least multisamples you can make patches from them.

jon connor
23-05-2008, 11:48 PM
sum midi files wud be cool mate to play around with also dude.

BDC
26-05-2008, 03:39 PM
one shot synths/bass/fx
one shot drums
some midi patterns

+ 1

Dave you rock by the way...I saw you Larry and Chris Perform Live in Pennsylvania back in 98...man that was the best Live PA I have seen to date, everyone else who was lucky enough to be there feels the same way...

RDR
26-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Well if you have them multisampled at enough notes you can play them over more than one octave, that's what I mean. If you make them into sampler patches. I've just seen various sample packs promising synth sounds and then just having single hits at one pitch which is useless. At least multisamples you can make patches from them.

sure thats cool like, it works and stays in pitch pretty much, but what format does he make them? Kontact, Halion, Sampletank, EXS24,Soundfont??? see what i mean, bit of a ball ache to create them in all these formats without being bored to tears. And then testing them afterwards.. that stuff is the preserve of commercial production eh?

Having the wavs as READY for multisampling in the users sampler of choice is about the best solution here.. is that what you meant?

DannyBlack
26-05-2008, 08:56 PM
I love wavs.

acidsaturation
27-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Having the wavs as READY for multisampling in the users sampler of choice is about the best solution here.. is that what you meant?

Yeh basically.

RDR
27-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Yeh basically.

Ah coolio.

PM sent ...

MARK ANXIOUS
27-05-2008, 08:48 PM
rdr is 100% spot on. the folders and the way things are organised are paramount. i mean it goes without saying some nice hat loops and clap patterns from you is going to be ace no matter what, but if they're not organised properly, you wont be able to get the best out of your cd.

i generally have wav stuff organised in two folders - loops then and one shots. in the loops folder i then have the different folders: percussion (which then has within it a hats, rides, claps etc folder), breaks, fx loops, sound loops and a few others. within these i then further focus the folders. the one shots is much the same.

that way if i'm wanting super quick inspiration and i can't be arsed racking up a sampler, it's straight into the loops and directly to the folder type i want. it's super quick and much better than 99% of the sample CD's i have.

perhaps you can then create another top level folder called 'MIDI files' and bang a load of nice sequences in there. within that folder you could have like folders '303','Hoover', 'Messed up', 'FX Stuff' and place them in there.

what about 'sound banks' too? especially with some fave synths - Vanguard, Thor or even Nexus????

you know, this certainly seems a brilliant and exciting prospect. all the best with it h.

TechMouse
27-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Personally, I'd love to hear some atmospheres and pads.

Hits / drums / synths etc. are always useful, but fairly ubiquitous.

278d7e64a374de26f==