PDA

View Full Version : BOA mix series

rhythmtech
18-05-2008, 02:46 PM
heres an idea for you mark,

loads of other forums have there own mix series showcasing artists that frequent their boards.. why dont we do it here?

we could make it available on other boards - livesets etc..

it would be good exposure for the artists and could generate new members to the forum.

we could do it lovely and pro looking with artwork ect to download.

thoughts?

DannyBlack
18-05-2008, 04:49 PM
+1:yup:

ritaheed
18-05-2008, 05:01 PM
aye cracking idea

The Overfiend
18-05-2008, 06:21 PM
plus 5

fils_here
18-05-2008, 06:30 PM
baz is this like a BOA dj mix cd or producers submitting tracks to be mixed?
is this open to anyone on here?
also i thought dave elzyium was doing summat similar but i've not heard about that for a while now...

Numeric
18-05-2008, 06:42 PM
it's a good idea

Numeric
18-05-2008, 06:47 PM
baz is this like a BOA dj mix cd or producers submitting tracks to be mixed?
is this open to anyone on here?

it would be a case of the producers and DJs on here submitting mixes or live sets

Mark gives them a listen and the best of the bunch get presented as part of the BOA mix series??

Jay Pace
18-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Great idea. Lets make it happen peeps!

fils_here
18-05-2008, 07:02 PM
i'm up for it :yup:

DannyBlack
18-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Sweet! i'm on for this!

rhythmtech
18-05-2008, 07:08 PM
it would be a case of the producers and DJs on here submitting mixes or live sets

Mark gives them a listen and the best of the bunch get presented as part of the BOA mix series??

exactly.. same as pounding techno and a few others.

fils_here
18-05-2008, 07:15 PM
can we make this a sticky when things get moving?

rhythmtech
18-05-2008, 07:18 PM
definitly

one thing to add.

the mixes should be 100% excellent. they will have the BOA name attached (f mark agrees) & will be going out on the web.

i know mark wouldnt want to put the name to something thats not up to scratch anyway.

DannyBlack
18-05-2008, 07:21 PM
No pussy ass ableton fan boys then.

:lol: im only yanking your chain sweet cheaks.

rhythmtech
18-05-2008, 07:22 PM
actually danny, as the person behind the idea my one job is to turn every one of your mixes down.

mark can deal with everyone else but i get you.

shit int it!

DannyBlack
18-05-2008, 07:24 PM
hahahaha f*ck off! That mean I have to be nice to you from now on, bloody 'ell...

rhythmtech
18-05-2008, 07:27 PM
anyway, mark loves my ableton.

he said ive a lovely shiney one and he'd love to play with it.

DannyBlack
18-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Ive seen your ableton in action and I have to say, im not that impressed. You cant even do a VS. vinyl back to back on it. Unlike your ma.

rhythmtech
18-05-2008, 07:32 PM
thats cause your dusty old vinyl cant hold its speed.

gayness

and my ableton is very impressive.. its big and purple and shiney on top.

DannyBlack
18-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Thats the decks, not my vinyl you digital gaylord.

rhythmtech
18-05-2008, 07:37 PM
no its your vinyl. they're all warped after i vigorously rubbed them on my balls and then sat on them

fils_here
18-05-2008, 07:39 PM
"digital gaylord."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :yup:

Numeric
18-05-2008, 07:40 PM
definitly

one thing to add.

the mixes should be 100% excellent. they will have the BOA name attached (f mark agrees) & will be going out on the web.

i know mark wouldnt want to put the name to something thats not up to scratch anyway.

innit, only the best shit makes the grade

Mucky Beats
18-05-2008, 08:23 PM
i think its good idea , any excuse to do a new mix is good idea hehe

BDC
18-05-2008, 08:57 PM
sounds like a great idea!

I'm down for whatever...

MARK ANXIOUS
18-05-2008, 09:55 PM
yup great idea!

so we knock up artwork yeah? and what, like upload the mixes onto our server and give them a flashy name like BOA Mix Series Vol 1? there was a couple of sets I'd like to do this with already from the Techno Experiment Comp actually...

acidpisar
18-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Very good idea :yup:

rhythmtech
18-05-2008, 10:13 PM
yup great idea!

so we knock up artwork yeah? and what, like upload the mixes onto our server and give them a flashy name like BOA Mix Series Vol 1? there was a couple of sets I'd like to do this with already from the Techno Experiment Comp actually...

yeah thats the idea.

i reckon vey minimal artwork.. like just black and the boa logo with a little extra info.. maybe change the colour of the font for each one but keep the format the same each time.

i always liked the stark minimalism of "fine audio" so i think that kinda thing would look futuristic and cool?

DannyBlack
18-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Im working on a mix in the next couple of days. Baz, can you hook me up with some tracks, I'll give you a fiver down in cork.

The Overfiend
19-05-2008, 01:47 AM
so us live paers are no go on this eh?

DannyBlack
19-05-2008, 01:55 AM
Don't see why not Tony- mix is a mix! you get my PM man?

The Overfiend
19-05-2008, 01:58 AM
yeah get on msn danny

DannyBlack
19-05-2008, 02:03 AM
2 secs man.

stjohn
19-05-2008, 03:26 AM
2 secs man.
:)

woudl have been no secs if u hadnt bothered with that message!

rhythmtech
19-05-2008, 06:22 AM
so us live paers are no go on this eh?

of course live sets are included! why wouldnt they be?

DVNT
19-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Sounds cool. I can knock up some simple covers if you like. Someone will need to send me the logo file.

acidsaturation
19-05-2008, 10:09 AM
I'd be in...

One question tho.

A DJ mix will be other peoples records (obviously), which is as we know on the grey area of copyright.

If my live mix contains samples (speech and music) that I use live, but for copyright reasons don't put in recorded tunes is this a problem. I use lots of film samples and some live-remix style ideas in the live set, 'cos it makes it more fun and a wee bit more accessible on the dance floor... Will I have to remove all this...?

TechMouse
19-05-2008, 10:15 AM
:)

woudl have been no secs if u hadnt bothered with that message!
It's always No Sex with Danny.

Didn't you get that memo?

rhythmtech
19-05-2008, 10:46 AM
I'd be in...

One question tho.

A DJ mix will be other peoples records (obviously), which is as we know on the grey area of copyright.

If my live mix contains samples (speech and music) that I use live, but for copyright reasons don't put in recorded tunes is this a problem. I use lots of film samples and some live-remix style ideas in the live set, 'cos it makes it more fun and a wee bit more accessible on the dance floor... Will I have to remove all this...?

dunno.. cant see either being a problem though.. we're not selling them.

acidsaturation
19-05-2008, 11:15 AM
This is the thing - 'cos no one really complains about mixes distributing other peoples music, 'cos it's all seen as part and parcel, just not sure how it works in live sets - technically you can't distribute other peoples music even for free tho can you - even in a mix.

any way, it'll all be good...

fils_here
21-05-2008, 07:52 PM
looking good guys, have we got a date where the mixes have got to be in by, will work on something this weekend, it's bank holiday woo hoo!!!

DannyBlack
21-05-2008, 11:31 PM
Im gonna get crackin too, dust off some recs and get bang into it!

MARK ANXIOUS
22-05-2008, 01:32 AM
Hmm thought about this and the copyright thing is an issue for me.

I am respectful of this purely because I'm quite old school eh. I realise ppl don't care so much these days but I don't wanna piss anyone off. And I know I'll have emails from companies if this goes ahead.

Perhaps if we did a 'BOA Live Series' or even 'BOA Exclusive Series' ? This could be a live PA that was totally unreleased/exclusive. Or a DJ mix where every track was unreleased/exclusive? Even a digital/analog label that would like to showcase their cat and don't mind us doing it 'BOA Showcase Series'. Just get in touch :)

Now this actually sounds brilliant to me. I would love to get involved in something like this, whatever the angle :)

Let me know your thoughts everyone...

The Overfiend
22-05-2008, 03:24 AM
BOA Live Series
Thats the ticket
I may be even willing to donate, the Glenn Wilson, Luka Baumann, Concrete DJz, Zeitgeist set for this.

doc12inch
22-05-2008, 01:04 PM
sounds like a really good idea

let me just get one thing straight though, is this thing for producers doing thier own sets with their own tracks or can people submit thier own standard mixes using tunes that have been brought, im not up on the whole copyright issue thingy....

rhythmtech
22-05-2008, 01:50 PM
you must hold the copyright for the tracks that you use (or the rights to use them - ie. if you own a label you can use tracks from other artists that have released the said tracks on your label)

acidsaturation
22-05-2008, 02:09 PM
So I can't do my NIN samples then :no: M'eh...

rhythmtech
22-05-2008, 02:30 PM
So I can't do my NIN samples then :no: M'eh...

im pretty sure samples are allowed.. bit OTT if they werent.. im sure trent will be ok with it :lol: :wink:

DannyBlack
22-05-2008, 03:51 PM
So, does this meant that vinyl sets are out? So if I understand correctly we can't mix anything that isn't our own because we don't own the copyright?
So what about playing a vinyl set at a night, is that illegal?

Or am I way off track on this? :lol: (more than likely!!)

rhythmtech
22-05-2008, 03:53 PM
So, does this meant that vinyl sets are out? So if I understand correctly we can't mix anything that isn't our own because we don't own the copyright?
So what about playing a vinyl set at a night, is that illegal?

Or am I way off track on this? :lol: (more than likely!!)

clubs are "supposed" to pay a fee to the PRS or IMRO over here which covers that.. doesnt mean it happens though.. and even if they do, we never see a penny of it as its divided up in ratio so the big majors get it all.

DannyBlack
22-05-2008, 04:01 PM
I kinda figured that, however- I thought the fact that it is designed for the club and that it is pressed on vinyl that recording and putting out mixes was ok?

Bloody hell, so if som,e producer got the hump one day and just so happened to listen to one of my mixes, he could take me to court?

rhythmtech
22-05-2008, 04:13 PM
its a grey area but technically yes, if you made it publicly available.

but the EXTREMELY bad publicity it generated would finish his career off for good.

oh btw, the summons is in the post

DannyBlack
22-05-2008, 04:19 PM
So the mix that I will be doing on monday featuring one of your releases, i need your permission by rights?

Don't mind do you?

morbid
22-05-2008, 04:20 PM
am I being really thick or something???

whats the difference between a BOA mix series where a DJ puts a mix up of other peoples tunes and a link in the techno files section to a DJ mix for download of other peoples tunes?

surely theres a copyright issue for both then?

Why would it be any different to me posting a mix up in techno files?

help Im lost!!!!!!!!!!!

rhythmtech
22-05-2008, 04:27 PM
whats the difference between a BOA mix series where a DJ puts a mix up of other peoples tunes and a link in the techno files section
firstly thats not a boa mix series and nobody has any right to put the BOA name to a mix without marks express permission.

and without the blackout audio name attached to it the mix is purely in your own name and blackout audio cant be held responsible for your actions.

its a very grey area but mark is obviously just trying to cover all angles that could land him personally in a spot of bother.

rhythmtech
22-05-2008, 04:28 PM
So the mix that I will be doing on monday featuring one of your releases, i need your permission by rights?

Don't mind do you?

i do actually.. unless you pay me 4 hamburgers :yup:

morbid
22-05-2008, 04:31 PM
yeah I get that about the BOA name thing,

but then its ok for BOA to have a section with links to other peoples copyright infringements because there not strictly hosting the files - right?

please correct me if im wrong??

rhythmtech
22-05-2008, 04:35 PM
yeah I get that about the BOA name thing,

but then its ok for BOA to have a section with links to other peoples copyright infringements because there not strictly hosting the files - right?

please correct me if im wrong??

bingo!! but as i said earlier, no producer in his right mind would complain about having their track on a mix because a. its usually only part of a track and so cant be extracted - b. it will usually generate sales because people hear it and want to buy it and c. they've probably done it themselves 100 times!

Jay Pace
22-05-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm well up for doing a live set of me own stuff
Plus its a great way to hear homegrown producer talent

Another great idea

teknorich
22-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Why not just have it as a "Board Member's mixes" sticky, so we all know what it really is, but for legal reasons it isn't actually labelled as a BOA mix series?

rhythmtech
22-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Why not just have it as a "Board Member's mixes" sticky, so we all know what it really is, but for legal reasons it isn't actually labelled as a BOA mix series?

we already have a member mixes sticky.

DannyBlack
22-05-2008, 06:34 PM
i do actually.. unless you pay me 4 hamburgers :yup:

I'll give you a clarky cat. Besides the point, I pay €10.50 per record, I'm going to play them live.

fils_here
24-05-2008, 01:25 PM
can't we do like a member's mix cd available for download instead? i'm sure a few peeps would be well up for that?

278d7e64a374de26f==