PDA

View Full Version : Pc or laptop, want to get into production, need some help?

fils_here
24-05-2008, 01:36 PM
hi just wondering what would be the best a pc or laptop, but bearing in mind i'm stuck for space.

was thinking of something like this, hewlet packard g6062 15.4" laptop amd athlon dual tk57 64x dual core processor 120gb hard drive 2gb ram memory
would that be enought to run cubase, fruity & VST's etc? it's on offer for 350 at the moment.
also the added bonus with a laptop you can use usb modem sticks for around 15 - 20 a month some good deals about (plus i won't have to get my phone line reconnected & pay line rental on top off broadband)

DannyBlack
24-05-2008, 03:45 PM
hi just wondering what would be the best a pc or laptop, but bearing in mind i'm stuck for space.

was thinking of something like this, hewlet packard g6062 15.4" laptop amd athlon dual tk57 64x dual core processor 120gb hard drive 2gb ram memory
would that be enought to run cubase, fruity & VST's etc? it's on offer for 350 at the moment.
also the added bonus with a laptop you can use usb modem sticks for around 15 - 20 a month some good deals about (plus i won't have to get my phone line reconnected & pay line rental on top off broadband)

Yo fil! I'm on the look for a good 'un at the moment. I want something for on the move that can handle basic music programmes, just for editing sounds etc. I have been looking at the Acer models. http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/
Really good prices and for the price they are hard going little machines.

For production at home I would go for a desk top, for space issues get your self a flat screen. Thing is with PC's, they are easily modified. Plus they are pretty cheap these days for a top spec one.

dan the acid man
27-05-2008, 03:27 PM
desktop everytime, you can't be that short on space that you can't find room for a pc surely.

Laptops are fine if you're going to be using them in more than one location, or as a second pc, but you will get alot more power for your money in a desktop pc.

As for Acer laptops i'd never recommend them, personally if you want a cheap laptop i'd go for a dell, just make sure you do a clean install of xp to get rid of all their added software that they install on their systems.

But have a look around for laptops if that's truly what you want, there's some real bargains around at the minute, Toshiba, Compaq and Sony all make decent laptops.

rhythmtech
27-05-2008, 03:56 PM
definitly desktop - you cant beat being able to mod it to your specs whenever you want. plu with production these days you'll need endless amounts of firewire and usb ports (i think i have 10 usb on my pc as opposed to 4 on the lappy)

laptops are great for using as an fx machine thru your network or for gigging but id go for a desktop for full on production..

having said that theres plenty out there working just from lappy.. alex calver being one as far as i remember..

eppertheleper
27-05-2008, 06:02 PM
I just picked up a desktop, for the reasons mentioned. I had an old PowerBook, but it was too outdated for current software.

For one thing, you get a lot more bang for your buck with a desktop. It's not quite half as expensive for the same power, but it's close. Also, I just prefer a big ass monitor and a full keyboard. I'm a big guy with pudgy fingers and I spend half my time on a laptop hitting backspace.

I got an HP. I did comparison with equal components across Dell, Compaq, HP, and Gateway. They had the best deals.

278d7e64a374de26f==