PDA

View Full Version : AMD vs INTEL

Hakka.
26-12-2003, 02:15 AM
ok... just curious to what people have experienced.

I've got an AMD XP2800 processor... its not bad... but I feel I probs should of gone for Intel.

Anyone using both or used both over the last year to offer a comparison?

AMD seems to be ok but crashes now and then where I feel Intel processor may of held up.

EmotionComplex
26-12-2003, 02:21 AM
ive got an athlon and a pentium, athlon is 1700 (about 1470 mhz) pentium is a 1.6. i think with athlon u get more power behind your vst performance etc for the money but my pentium has been a lot more stable so i use that as my sequencer now. i think for a budget or mid range budget athlon is the way to go for music making as you get a fair bit of power for the money but if perhaps your willing to pay a little more the stability of the pentium is well worth it. thats just from my experience with them anyway.

Hakka.
26-12-2003, 09:59 AM
Cool... thats sort of how I perceived it to be.

:)

zigojacko
07-01-2004, 11:32 PM
AMD Athlon... all the way... currently use a Pentium myself but find AMD to kick ass though really... :lol:

EmotionComplex
07-01-2004, 11:47 PM
AMD Athlon... all the way... currently use a Pentium myself but find AMD to kick ass though really... :lol:

yeah they seem to perform a lot better vst wise to a similiar spec pentium, but if you dont want them to be really noisey you have to shell out for a top end quiet fan, all the athlon fans ive come across sounded like a lawnmower :cry:

zigojacko
07-01-2004, 11:55 PM

yeah they seem to perform a lot better vst wise to a similiar spec pentium, but if you dont want them to be really noisey you have to shell out for a top end quiet fan, all the athlon fans ive come across sounded like a lawnmower :cry:

aye, i've heard that before actually... lol, that must be a nuisance - hehe

i will be intending on either upgrading or building a new machine soon so will probably go over to AMD...

I currently have 820 Mb RAM !!! ooooo, methinks i may be keeping all of that - lol. sWeeT! :lol:

Antinoise
04-02-2004, 06:46 AM
I've build several computers and the AMD's always end up giving me more trouble. Intel chipsets are more stable in my experiences.. Also.. as of late Intel has moved way ahead in the speed race. If you are building a killer machine... Intel 3ghz w/ 800mhz fsb is going to make you forget your computer is even there.

AMD is cheaper though and that draws many people.

At the end of the day though.. either will work. If your building a machine.. do some research on your parts (www.tomshardware.com) and get pieces (motherboard and ram mainly) that are the highest rated. Every time I pick a piece based out of coolness or something and dont research the listings it is the first that fails and I end up replacing.

THE RIGHT MOTHERBOARD IS CRITICAL.....

Barely Human
04-02-2004, 12:45 PM
It deppends what you want really. I have both chips, and they both perform equally well! But, if you get an athlon, make sure you upgrade the heatsink and fan, as this is the main reason why ppls machines with athlons in crash! Now, if you go for a pentium, then you have the benefit of overclocking the hell out of it, aslong as you know what your doing! Match the front side bus to your ram, and wack a beastie fan, or even some water cooling on it. You could then get a 3.06gig pentuim to about 5gig!

gustavo
03-03-2004, 04:40 PM
p4 3.2

i can say i never had a problem

and a lot of the people/producers in the music scene say that the way
p4 processors do algorhtymic calculations is more adequate to music data processing (is this true?)(besides mac of course)

dont know ...

im happy

zigojacko
11-03-2004, 02:30 AM
I've build several computers and the AMD's always end up giving me more trouble. Intel chipsets are more stable in my experiences.. Also.. as of late Intel has moved way ahead in the speed race. If you are building a killer machine... Intel 3ghz w/ 800mhz fsb is going to make you forget your computer is even there.

AMD is cheaper though and that draws many people.

At the end of the day though.. either will work. If your building a machine.. do some research on your parts (www.tomshardware.com) and get pieces (motherboard and ram mainly) that are the highest rated. Every time I pick a piece based out of coolness or something and dont research the listings it is the first that fails and I end up replacing.

THE RIGHT MOTHERBOARD IS CRITICAL.....

ahh wicked mate, cheerz for that...

am looking forward to sorting my pc problems out now - lolz.

mux
02-04-2004, 08:57 PM
When it comes to odd crashes, there's a lot of occasions when it's not the processor at all, but faulty RAM...

http://www.memtest.org

Seriously. Check it out. There's not all *that* many situations where the AMD instruction set and chipset functions any differently than Intel, and I've heard an *awful* lot of musicians say that AMD chips perform a helluva lot better on audio applications.

There's a good reason Intel is adopting compatibility for AMD's x86_64 instruction set for their new Intel 64-bit processors. AMD has some very, very smart people working for them. :)

I've seen tiny glitches in RAM cause the strangest problems... like, runs fine for days, then locks at the worst possible time... definitely worth your ten minutes to check out. :)

TechnoNRGKid
09-09-2004, 10:06 AM
I go AMD all the way also.
I doubt it depends on wich cpu you buy that will make you crash more.

Right now i have an AMD 1700+ @ 1.46ghz ( was clocked to 1.57ghz ).
It's good, a great overclocker.
Im gettin either the 2500+ 2600+ or 2500+ mobile , 2600+ mobile next upgrade. the mobiles are King @ overclocking, i heard the 2600+ mobile can go up to 3800+ speeds.
:clap:

278d7e64a374de26f==