http://youtube.com/watch?v=bGV2oIO3f08

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_FLyya06CvM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=n8BMpNSiN0I

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gjh2X42iwv8

:dance:

Discuss!

DannyBlack
30-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Posing as me. Good track, chunky, funky and some great vocal transitions.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XenBU-bQDDU

djfilthmonger
31-05-2008, 01:17 AM
lancor what a choon and then one straight after cant think of the name.

koma
31-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Gatex?

RDR
31-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Play them all at once!

lol @ the electro-house one, there are about 4000 electro house artists who own that track. He really should stick to techno.

marginmaster
31-05-2008, 10:25 AM
gatex is truly incredible, a work of art. not to keen on his wet stuff

Frank Dogshit
31-05-2008, 01:17 PM
the stuff he puts out now is truly shocking

i remember reading an interview saying he got bored of techno because he was making upto 4/5 high quality techno records per week so there was no fun left in it anymore for him in terms of pushing his music. shame because his old stuff is awesome.

djfilthmonger
31-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Umek has made some great techno in his day. shame he has moved on from it and made electro stuff, i personally find that stuff boring
hopefully he will start to make great stuff again.

DannyBlack
31-05-2008, 05:13 PM
There are still elements of Umek in some of his electro stuff and thats great. Personally I woush he would start with ldn't buy it but fair play to him I think. I do wish he would out some more techno out. Still though, the man is a genius.

MITA
31-05-2008, 05:13 PM
nah only astro disco does it for me

Jay Pace
31-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Gatex, borax, loads of the consumer rec stuff, mumps, he did in all honesty hit his stride for a good long while and didn't put a foot wrong. Really distinctive sound, amazing production and always killed it on the floor.

Seem to remember adam beyer doing a similar thing for a while with the hard tribal sound, just kept on putting out stonker after stonker.

I'm glad (in a weird way) that he just veered away from that sound. It makes what he did do all the better. Always a little sad when artists just go off the boil and end up putting out watered down versions of early classics, kinda has a detrimental effect on the early releases - hearing parodies of them come out 5 years later.

Got a couple of his 4 deck mixes. They were pretty outstanding as well.

Talented chappie no doubt, not feeling his current stuff but I don't think there's any need to follow someone all the way through their musical career. Great that he now has a (probably) completely new fanbase, and is doing something he gets a lot out of. Must be pretty cool to be able to look back on a musical career and know that you completely nailed several different genres....

fils_here
31-05-2008, 05:33 PM
gatex is truly incredible, a work of art. not to keen on his wet stuff

think i've got that one, is it on potential records?

Jay Pace
31-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Its off the X-EP
On the other side of Borax (another killer track)

djfilthmonger
01-06-2008, 10:59 AM
The first record i bought was mumps Mechanisms E-h . learned to mix with does 2 recordsi know all the choons off by heart still mix them my fav one was the really evil one that was torture chamber mixed by billy nasty think it is Mechanisms E .
Techno was great from 2000-2004

DannyBlack
02-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Onwards and upwards, techno is evolving on an epic scale. Some of the promos I have heard over the past 2 weeks have been truley mind blowing.
I think what artists like Umek and Beyer need is a challenge to bring them out again.
The way it is going at the moment, it wont be long til we hear them producing techno again.

Bring it on I say.

RDR
02-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Onwards and upwards, techno is evolving on an epic scale. Some of the promos I have heard over the past 2 weeks have been truley mind blowing.
I think what artists like Umek and Beyer need is a challenge to bring them out again.
The way it is going at the moment, it wont be long til we hear them producing techno again.

Bring it on I say.

I admire your optimism but i dont share it.

I know one of the guys that lived with Umeks manager in slovenia (im not joking) and Umek has other interests now. Honestly you cant imagine how big he is in Slovenia. If he ran for president they'd vote for him.

DannyBlack
02-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Really? ah well, I suppose when you reach the top at something you can't really go much further. I guess what he is doing is finding something else to be the top at... maybe he should run for governer of california when he is finished at being the best of Astro Disco. :lol:

Do you share my optimisim for new techno being blindingly good?

RDR
02-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Really? ah well, I suppose when you reach the top at something you can't really go much further. I guess what he is doing is finding something else to be the top at... maybe he should run for governer of california when he is finished at being the best of Astro Disco. :lol:

Do you share my optimisim for new techno being blindingly good?

No-one would want Umek as president of anythng other than his own fan club. I've heard some things about him.

but then again i never met the guy and there's a lot of shit talk in the industry. The bit about him being massive there is true. When we went in 2005 the first billboard i saw had a picture of Umek on it. there was another one with a bird with her tits out next to it though so Umek got only a cursory glance.

New music being good? Yeah of course, new techno being good? Maybe...

DannyBlack
02-06-2008, 01:05 PM
No-one would want Umek as president of anythng other than his own fan club. I've heard some things about him.

but then again i never met the guy and there's a lot of shit talk in the industry. The bit about him being massive there is true. When we went in 2005 the first billboard i saw had a picture of Umek on it. there was another one with a bird with her tits out next to it though so Umek got only a cursory glance.

New music being good? Yeah of course, new techno being good? Maybe...

Umek, the man himself- no idea, never heard owt bad about him really, couldn't give a monkeys either. He signed my Cigarette box once, wouldn't come over himself though, got one of his entourage to get the fag box and bring it back to me.

I think new techno is wicked, from what I have heard this year anyway!
*ahem* Dub riot *cough*
(i take all major credit cards.)

module
02-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Lanicor & Brotax da f**k..

his very early shit was ill & the Consu,er Rectreation.. Mumps was cool too..

i dont dig his new sh*t, but hey.. i'm not the boss of him lol

fair play Uros.. do your thing & leave them forums to babble :)

nickoc
24-06-2008, 09:10 PM
UMEK - a couple of years ago, THE DADDY - an inspiration, incredible DJ & kicking out some amazing tunes.

Apparently got bored of making slamming techno? It's just a shame that, rather than experimenting, pushing the boundaries and using his (undoubted) creative talents to try something new, he disappears up his own arse, producing this 'astro disco' crap, which is little more than piss-weak handbag euro-trance, with little or no originality at all! Shame.

nickoc
24-06-2008, 09:15 PM
UMEK - few years ago he was THE DADDY, I remember him on 3 decks @ atomic jam back in the que club days - seen nothing like it since!

So he's apparently got 'bored' of producing slamming techno? It's just a shame that, instead of pushing the boundaries, and using his (undoubted) creative talents to come out with something new & original, he disappears up his own arse with this 'astro disco' crap, which is little more than piss-weak handbag euro-trance without a drip of originality. Shame.

nickoc
24-06-2008, 09:21 PM
god I hate fkin internet sometimes, you think you haven't posted, have to re-write the lot, then realise it's gone on twice! Now i look like a right chump. Well, you get where i'm coming from anyway :O)

Lag
24-06-2008, 10:55 PM
umek is just another sellout, but atleast he had the guts not to go mnml.
his myspace pics are still more retarded than of most nowdays artists.

MITA
24-06-2008, 11:41 PM
jan autoban

Smear
24-06-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm glad he's went to this stuff bcause i've never felt the need to go and buy an Umek record in my life, haha.

koma
25-06-2008, 11:18 PM
just checked his new EP for Proton Music
quite different from astro disco stuff
this is more progressive house / melodic techno

Lag
25-06-2008, 11:49 PM
u mean neo acidish-house-electro-techno-micro-ultrasonic-fart?

BDC
26-06-2008, 05:13 AM
Hate the game not the playa....

;)

Kokotorobot
26-06-2008, 08:14 AM
http://a120.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/19/l_63be6e66da78e4d1f58c06e95ce55ce7.jpg

DannyBlack
26-06-2008, 01:17 PM
http://a120.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/19/l_63be6e66da78e4d1f58c06e95ce55ce7.jpg

he never could quite get to grips with the ketchup sachets.

Lag
26-06-2008, 05:54 PM
well, i dont get it
what is this pic supposed to represent? im i supposed to think hes cool now?

stjohn
26-06-2008, 06:23 PM
blood + death is totally rad

Lag
27-06-2008, 02:37 AM
maybe hes trying to win the african uneducated market!

DannyBlack
27-06-2008, 09:44 AM
maybe hes trying to win the african uneducated market!

Why Africa?

koma
27-06-2008, 10:57 AM
ryuuku should book him for Exit festival

Lag
27-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Why Africa?

i suppose thats the only place left where pictures like that are considered to be cool

centrifuge
27-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Gotta give him credit for some of the tunes he's put out in the past. Apart from being banging club tracks he always had a totally unique, unmistakeable sound :)

DannyBlack
27-06-2008, 01:02 PM
i suppose thats the only place left where pictures like that are considered to be cool

ah right :lol: bit of silly picture innit!

MARK ANXIOUS
29-06-2008, 03:36 PM
total props to UMEK, i mean that early absense stuff really REALLY did the bizz back in the day. MUMPS, his communique double, and the early consumer recreation all really tore the roof off the floor when ya played it. i remember playing in serbia at industria, sticking one of those on and i don't think to this day i've ever seen a crowd go that nuts. mind you, UMEK really is a hero in those parts.

i actually like that electro house thing.. i've always checked out his slower stuff purly out of interest, and even though you'd find it impossible to fit in on a 2am saturday techno floor, it really does have some great production elements that make you sit up and think 'i wonder how he did that'. as a producer, you find yourself drawn to stuff like that, as it helps you think about how music is put together no matter what it is, which improves your art i suppose.

oh well good luck to him i say. and thanks for the memories :)

DannyBlack
30-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Indeed! I remeber hearing "The torture chamber" at my ex mates 21st in tramore absolutely mangled- amazing, all I could do was sit and look at the stereo in awe. Umek, whatever you think of his stuff these days, was the Daddy. Simple as.

278d7e64a374de26f==