PDA

View Full Version : As You Get Older, Does The Intensity Drop ?

module
02-06-2008, 10:31 PM
hawtin, beyer, umek, carola etc etc etc etc etc...

anyone else feel this is a trend ? the beats slow down & aint so dirty.. melody replaces raw energy.. the dj's are waaaay less frantic behind the 1210s..

i remember hawtin used to NEVER look up.. now he seems to spend a lot of time hi fivin & chatting.. not a dig at him btw, jus an observation..

JamieBall
02-06-2008, 11:01 PM
I reckon that if you're an artist producing art, you don't want to be painting the same picture forever.

Fair enough, maybe it's so skillful that other people would be unable to copy/reproduce it so therefore would always be in demand but from a personal point of view I reckon it's kinda boring to do the same thing all ze time.

A lot of the ppl you mentioned have been doing this for a long time, it's understandable that they have gotten a bit bored doing the same thing.

Also, these people, let's face it - have a lot of money :-)

Money and being a popular DJ (I would imagine) would make one quite happy anyways, it's ticking boxes init.

Depends how u make music I guess, but if I'm in a bad mood or am pissed off about something (which is nigh on all the time, although I'm a fairly chirpy person face to face) then this is reflected in my tunes. Conversely, if I'm in a good mood I usually make reggae or house (I just choose not to inflict most of this stuff on others)

Techno is, imo, "**** OFF" music - and you can only get so far in life telling people to **** off all the time. No matter how good you are at it ;-)

JamieBall
02-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Still got a swear filter on this forum ? Sheesh.... Thought we were all adult enough to be able to say what we want ;-)

module
02-06-2008, 11:06 PM
lol

belter post.. funny as f**k AND well on the money..

its not a pop btw.. i jus reckon as ya get older ya think on a things a lil more & aint got the same boundless energy.. be interesting to see where the natus & wittekind & amok type ppl go when the hit 30something :)

JamieBall
02-06-2008, 11:50 PM
lol

belter post.. funny as f**k AND well on the money..

its not a pop btw.. i jus reckon as ya get older ya think on a things a lil more & aint got the same boundless energy.. be interesting to see where the natus & wittekind & amok type ppl go when the hit 30something :)

I'm 31.

Not learnt to behave yet. Perhaps a bit too late....

"Still syco after all these years" ;-)

module
03-06-2008, 01:19 AM
be careful with that house mate.. you could go all sorts of wrong in the next few years lol

Patrick DSP
03-06-2008, 04:12 AM
it's hard to jump around when you have your beer belly and your man boobs bouncing around. lol.

RDR
04-06-2008, 07:12 AM
have you been following me around pat?

:lol:

davethedrummer
04-06-2008, 01:09 PM
you haven't caught any of my latest ambient sets then?

it's pumping stuff!
in a very kind of half asleep semi-concious way zzzzzzzz

BDC
04-06-2008, 07:04 PM
I agree with a lot of what has been written, in addition, I think part of the reality is that they all want to appeal to wider audiences so playing slower, stripped down music made more sense from an economic perspective. I was working for Carola's Company ELP back in 03 and at that time things (as we all well know) were changing (i.e. Papa Sven switched over then everyone else follows suit) , he was still playing his signature techno, but he'd **** with people every now and then and play some minimal stuff...and had alot of fun with it. He was really big on "pulling back" from the tribalish loop sound and probably switched over fully by yr end... IMO...he went too minimal...

I like both sides of the spectrum but not the extremes on either side. In the states in particular the South West....you need to be flexible. (One off event) crowds love the harder stuff ....but clubs don't want any part of it out here. They are all about this dreaded Electro House stuff, that I was hoping would die 3 years ago. So you cant really get too minimal or else you'll clear a floor quick... Keeping things moderate on both sides tends to get the better responses, for me atleast.

So...in short....yeah..it drops....hahah

RDR
04-06-2008, 10:41 PM
you haven't caught any of my latest ambient sets then?

it's pumping stuff!
in a very kind of half asleep semi-concious way zzzzzzzz

I get past the first 35 seconds so it must be wicked!

The Overfiend
06-06-2008, 06:12 AM
The older I get the more technological developed I become to better project my anger.

DannyBlack
06-06-2008, 09:12 AM

anyone else feel this is a trend ? the beats slow down & aint so dirty.. melody replaces raw energy.. the dj's are waaaay less frantic behind the 1210s..

i remember hawtin used to NEVER look up.. now he seems to spend a lot of time hi fivin & chatting.. not a dig at him btw, jus an observation..

It depends on where you draw inspiration from I think. Me personally, as I get older I get more aggressive. I was an angry teenager, now I'm an even angrier young man :lol: if that makes sense?

MITA
06-06-2008, 11:07 AM
id say theres no rules in this regarding getting older
just a person to person thing.biz personality mood

koma
06-06-2008, 01:05 PM
as i'm getting older
i enjoy slower music more, yes
and younger chicks too, but thats another matter

hardcore's still my no.1

DannyBlack
06-06-2008, 01:16 PM
and younger chicks too, but thats another matter

:lol: :lol: +1

Smear
06-06-2008, 03:16 PM
I think it does vary from person to person, as well as a combination of what other music they enjoy, developing the ability to make less intense stuff, and in a lot of cases an economic thing.

Personally I've only been making techno for 2 years or so, and the difference between what I first made(which i started when i was in the middle of producing an industrial/powernoise album) and what i make now is pretty huge. It's partly down to me learning how to do it better, and partly not wanting to be too comfortable in what i do, and the challenge of producing music i'm happy with in a style where i only enjoy about 1% of records that come out. Since i hardly gig anywhere and don't release all that much, there's not any economic factor that comes into it, heh.

tocsin
06-06-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm 31.

Not learnt to behave yet. Perhaps a bit too late....

Yep. I'll be 33 this month. Thing is, for as much noisey, fast and abbrasive stuff I've done either by myself or with others, I've also always done melodic stuff as well. As for the larger names, my guess is it's all about sales. If they earned more money sticking to the hard shit, they probably would be doing it more. When the harder stuff becomes a bigger market, they'll jump back on board, assuming they ever really left.

"Still syco after all these years" ;-)

If there's ever an example of a band losing the intensity and plot, that album might be it. :P

TheRev
06-06-2008, 05:27 PM

Not for nuthin, and maybe it's different on the other side of the pond, but I definitely noticed that as soon as the slower stuff started coming around is when I started noticing a lot more women at techno parties.

Maybe they got tired of playing at sausage fests? <shrug>

I still listen to and play hard shit. In fact I've been doing a lot more of that lately than the slower stuff. As I get older, the slower stuff is more likely to put me to sleep because I need more energy to push me :)

Lenny Dee still bangs it up proper and I think he just turned 40 or something.

Smear
06-06-2008, 06:33 PM
I read somewhere that Richie Hawtin stopped playing/producing really hard stuff in 91/92 after playing in Rotterdam and hearing a few anti-semitic chants chants in the crowd.

tocsin
06-06-2008, 06:57 PM
I read somewhere that Richie Hawtin stopped playing/producing really hard stuff in 91/92 after playing in Rotterdam and hearing a few anti-semitic chants chants in the crowd.

LOL! :)

davethedrummer
07-06-2008, 11:00 PM

thats rotterdam for you
poor little hawtin , up there all alone
makes you want to weep

koma
08-06-2008, 12:41 AM
yeah, richie really made paul elstak and neophyte jealous with his hard stuff back in the days, lol...

Smear
08-06-2008, 02:09 PM
http://www.discogs.com/release/15353

Harder than just about anything to have come out of holland, haha.

tocsin
09-06-2008, 04:45 PM
http://www.discogs.com/release/15353

Harder than just about anything to have come out of holland, haha.

Doubtful, though I haven't been a big fan of most of what's come out of Holland in ages. Regardless, the story of people who supposedly stopped making hard music after dealing with racist fans somewhere in Europe has become such a common rumor it's practically laughable at this point. Seriously, I can't even come close to listing the number of artists I've supposedly heard this about, who either disappeared completely or, for some strange reason, still produce hard music. ;)

Jak
10-06-2008, 03:07 PM
it's hard to jump around when you have your beer belly and your man boobs bouncing around. lol.

hahaha... funny stuff.

I think there is some truth to the trend of enjoying slower/mellower music as folks get older.. but on the other hand there are plenty of old farts still rockin out to hard techno, hardcore etc.

One thing for sure is there is a wider variety of techno music available these days, and therefore there is more to choose from in the various bpm ranges and styles. I am finding a wealth of stuff in the 125 to 130 range that somehow still captures the techno vibe that I've come to love whereas in 1996 to 1999 I feel like the selection of such music was much more limited. Often times these days people are combining long standing techno ideas and textures with more complex melodies and slower grooves as well, combining the old with the new can yield great results. Another factor may be people just become more aware of the music that is out there as they get older. You listen, you learn, your tastes change, evolve etc (for better or for worse ;-)

278d7e64a374de26f==