PDA

View Full Version : Refereeing at the Euro08 championships

C.O.Prodigy
17-06-2008, 11:20 AM
It seems to me that it has been the worst ever. Starting with the choice of refs to the decisions themselves. Again people like Roberto Rossetti, Mejuto Gonzalez, and Lubos Michel (a guy who I have not seen as yet) aside cause they have done a fair job, but 85 % of the refs and their job (which is not easy) have been a monster fail. They should do a copy paste job of the recent Roland Garros tennis tournament, they also had a really hard job, even harder imo, but still did a class act job. It just ruins the great footy we have had at the Euro, and it can be that the refs can even enhance it. Why is this so? What can be done to improve it? Do you agree with this assessment of the situation?

Discuss

C.O.Prodigy
17-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Austria - Croatia - a easy penalty awarded against the hosts, could have gone either way or it could have been a play on decision. It directly effected the game and the result, which is wrong.

Ned - Ita - Holland have goal allowed that shouldn't have been, it gives the dutch a nice lead. Maybe didn't effect the outcome that much but it does add to the refs mistakes.

Aut - Pol - Penalty in the last minute of the game, imo a nonexistent one directly effecting the game and the result again. travesty.

Ita - romania - Italy have good goal disallowed, directly effecting the game. I'm no fans of the italians but there should be a standard and all refs should uphold it.

Ned - Fra - Henry scores from an offside position, don't know if any of you noticed but there should be refs watching for that sort of thing. Didn't effect the result but still a mistake.

Sui - Por - Portugal have good goal disallowed, directly effect the result.

I know I missed some that were called offside but were clear cut onside situations, but I can't name them from memory....

Shitty job from the refs... imo

DJ RE:HAB
17-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Austria - Croatia - a easy penalty awarded against the hosts, could have gone either way or it could have been a play on decision. It directly effected the game and the result, which is wrong.

Ned - Ita - Holland have goal allowed that shouldn't have been, it gives the dutch a nice lead. Maybe didn't effect the outcome that much but it does add to the refs mistakes.

Aut - Pol - Penalty in the last minute of the game, imo a nonexistent one directly effecting the game and the result again. travesty.

Ita - romania - Italy have good goal disallowed, directly effecting the game. I'm no fans of the italians but there should be a standard and all refs should uphold it.

Ned - Fra - Henry scores from an offside position, don't know if any of you noticed but there should be refs watching for that sort of thing. Didn't effect the result but still a mistake.

I know I missed some that were called offside but were clear cut onside situations, but I can't name them from memory....

There have been some dodgy mistakes. Alot of the goals or goals that aint been scored have been down to the linesmen messing up.

The standard has been poor though, i think out of all the games i have seen, and ave missed like 2 or 3.. Ive seen maybe 3 good referees.

The rest have been dodgy as.

koma
17-06-2008, 01:39 PM

sorry, that penalty was well deserved. the guy had to have balls for that decision against the host + so early in the game, but sadly lost them when he didnt give at least yellow card to that austrian dude who was kicking Olic from behind little bit after.

C.O.Prodigy
17-06-2008, 01:52 PM
sorry, that penalty was well deserved. the guy had to have balls for that decision against the host + so early in the game, but sadly lost them when he didnt give at least yellow card to that austrian dude who was kicking Olic from behind little bit after.

There is a point there, but I do stand by what I wrote above. I think that dodgy decisions (and imo it was not a clear cut decision, even though it might have been well deserved) that effect outcomes of games are mistakes.

Insomnia
17-06-2008, 02:07 PM
I'd have to go with the ref in that game and say he made the right decision in giving Croatia a penalty...

Although i do agree there have been some dodgy decisions for instance the V.Nistelrooy goal against italy....

Who the fcuk would wont to be a ref anyway!! :lol:

Will
17-06-2008, 03:41 PM
That's the problem! Too many of the people who would want to be a ref do it for the wrong reasons I think and want to be at the forefront instead of in the background, it attracts dodgy people because most normal people wouldn't want to do it.

basslinejunkie
17-06-2008, 04:25 PM
to be honest i think its been quite good, alot of them arent giving fouls for blatant dives when in the past they would of. sure there has been a few clangers,always gona get them, but i think the overall standard has been quite high

C.O.Prodigy
18-06-2008, 08:18 AM
to be honest i think its been quite good, alot of them arent giving fouls for blatant dives when in the past they would of. sure there has been a few clangers,always gona get them, but i think the overall standard has been quite high

Last night it was good... maybe it's getting better..maybe I overreacted.. It just seemed like that at the begging...

Insomnia
18-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Do you think Abidal deserved that red last night??

Toni made the most of it anyway!!

Crikey i think it were Panucci that went down at one point like he'd been shot in the back, fcukin joke like!!

C.O.Prodigy
18-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Do you think Abidal deserved that red last night??

Toni made the most of it anyway!!

Crikey i think it were Panucci that went down at one point like he'd been shot in the back, fcukin joke like!!

The Ref. had to abide by strict rules, I think does are the orders given by uefa, so in that sense a red card was inevitable. Did toni make the most of it? Yes. Did Abidal foul him after the fall? Yes. Little football was there to be seen last night after the Ribery injury.

Eddowion
20-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Surprise surprise, the reffing is pants, who'd have thought it

Aratron
20-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Surprise surprise, the reffing is pants, who'd have thought it

not an exact science though. human error. all part of football innit.
i think by and large referring has been okay, not too punitive, let matches flow.

Eddowion
21-06-2008, 08:49 AM
By definition a referee is to be referred to in the event of a dispute. this fact seems to have been lost in the modern game.

C.O.Prodigy
24-06-2010, 05:06 AM

It is happening again in 2010.

SlavikSvensk
24-06-2010, 05:19 PM
you'd think things would be better at this level

278d7e64a374de26f==