PDA

View Full Version : Winners of the BOA Production Competition

RDR
03-07-2008, 06:41 PM
The BOA Music Production Competition: Winners!

Firstly I wouls like to say congratulations to all the contestants in the competition for their efforts and having the strength and wisdom to enter. Well done!

The judging process was done independantly for each of the judges and the final three have been

Using the votes from all four judges it is clear there were tracks which everyone liked but of course no-ones top 3 is the same. However there are commonalities. Therefore the FINAL top 4 ARE:

*Drum rollllllllll*

Top 5 tracks as voted for by the judges are as follows

1. 4 votes - Sterling - "Demerit"
2. 3 Votes - Seige "After Hours"
3. 2 votes - Daniel Alford "All my Kids have ASBOs
Joint 4th - Elvio Neto - "Milicia Celestial" and Hoth System - 'Mirror for the Blind'

The tracks can be listened to here in a single file. edited 128kbs VBR
http://www.r3tox.co.uk/boa_comp_winners.zip
Track listing: 1. Sterling, Demerit 2. Elvio Neto - Milicia Celestial 3. Seige, After Hours 4. Daniel Alford, All my Kids have ASBOs and 5. Hoth System, Mirror for the Blind

Each of the Judges feedback can be read below. As stated in the rules each of the respective record labels involved have different ideas about what they like. Entrants in the Top 4 will be contacted by BOA with further information on their prize.

The standard overall was very high we were all really pleased to see! There's life in this techno scene and some very active imaginations and producers. good good good!

As you can see the top four have been counted in order of number of votes, not position in respective top 3s, this was the only way to divine the best.

Rhythm Technologies Top 3

1.Seige "After Hours"
2.Daniel Alford "All my kids have ASBOs"
3 Sterling "Demerit"

MARK EG

1) by far the best: all my kids have asbo's... wicked track!!! could do with ever so slight bit more movement but the ideas are excellent.. great job!!!

2) sterling - VERY GOOD .. if i had a mml label, this would be an a-side.. really like this..

3) Hoth System - Mirror for the Blind - really like this too.. but need to take off those hi freqs.. the hi's are too hi!!! definitely suited to BOA though if mastered.... quite tresor sounding too but would need a whole album of this shit i think....

DVNT's TOP3
1. Seige - After Hours
2. Elvio Neto - Milicia Celestial
3. Demerit - Sterling

Daniel Alford - All my Kids have ASBOs
Solid beats, everything seems to sit well in the mix. Nice piano mini breakdown. Adds a housey flavour. Big breakdown. Good strong dancefloor track.

Elvio Neto - Milicia Celestial
Driving tribal techno. Nice subtle edits. Wicked track, boshy, bold and like a raging ton of bricks. Very nice breakdown. Edits, filters and reverb. A fave here. This is a track I would happily pay money for and will play out. Comparing it to over produced tracks it needs to have a stronger mixdown and to be mastered. But it's ace otherwise

Honeey Mustard - Free Me
Stripped down and minimal. Nice hypnotic drum work. Really like the simple and well placed synth action in the breakdown. Despite being simple in structure, this track has a lot of depth. Mixdown sounds a bit muddy with the drums after the drop but that could just be my speakers. Nice track. Kicks could maybe stand from being a bit chunkier, depends how and what this was mixed into.

Honeey Mustard - Making Waves
Synthed, jacked and driving. Nice well developed kicks and lots of activity. Pretty relentless. The doubling up of beats at 4mins doesn't quite work for me. Mixdown sounds distorted, almost peaking at 4:30. If it's suppose to be like that I don't like it. If it isn't then it needs some work. Nice elements, but it needs a better mixdown.

Hoth System - Mirror for the Blind
Offbeat wonky feel to the beats and the rhythm behind them. Has an old London techno feel to the track, a roughness to the production and sound of elements. Mixdown starts to distort a bit from 4mins in.

Unknown - Pool Party Re Ed
Big, driving and with a really nice old skool rave lead. However, is pretty much a loop for most of the track, and needs to kick in more, or develop, progress. Be nice if this was made into a more complete track rather than a DJ tool which is what I feel it currently is.

Demerit - Sterling
Minimal elements, solid simple polished beats. The kick needs some work in the mixdown. Makes me think of a ticking grandfather clock. Some excellent sounds and incidental noise. Very nice track, get the mixdown sorted and this is a winner. Like it a lot.

Seige - After Hours
Big badass dancefloor techno. Relentless with eerie synths and an underlying driving powerled kick pattern. This is excellent. All the right elements, well placed and with a simple lead synth line.

RDR's Top 3

1. Daniel Alford - All My Kids Have ASBOS
2. Seige - After hours
3. Sterling - Demerit

stjohn
03-07-2008, 07:04 PM
well done lads congrats.

ritaheed
03-07-2008, 07:17 PM
well dun peeps

djfilthmonger
03-07-2008, 08:02 PM
nice work everyone.
congrats

Jay Pace
03-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Congratulations! Top effort guys

DannyBlack
03-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Absolutely well done lads! what an achievement, you all should be incredibly proud of this!!!
Id buy you a pint if ye were over this way.

Hoth System
03-07-2008, 10:27 PM
The "Mirror for the Blind" track was by (hides behind cape and removes phantom mask...) me! Hopefully this is the same tune by the unknown entrant in joint 4th (as above just "Mirror"). Congrats to the winners - really wanna hear those songs. Tbh I've WAY more to learn about production before being anyway NEAR a release. But one day the world will quake with fear at my brilliance. QUAKE WITH FEAR!

RDR
03-07-2008, 10:34 PM
There you go bud, I sorted it for you.

well done!

Siege
03-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Splendid!:) thanks guys...nice one;)

Lag
04-07-2008, 01:54 AM
why didnt i know there was a production competition? :(

rhythmtech
04-07-2008, 02:31 AM
why didnt i know there was a production competition? :(

no idea m8. its been stickied here for the last 3 months :wink:

RDR
04-07-2008, 07:29 AM
no idea m8. its been stickied here for the last 3 months :wink:

scratch that. 6months.

sterling
04-07-2008, 03:26 PM
hell yeah! thanks guys, i was planning to work on more ish this weekend and this gives me more confidence and motivation.

Siege
04-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Says, corrupt file when downloaded? wanna hear the others.

sterling
04-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Says, corrupt file when downloaded? wanna hear the others.

works fine for me. just dl the zip file and unzip it.

the entries are very good and id love to get a copy of all of them if the producers are willing to trade. nice work, you lot!

platform1
04-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Way hey thrid place for me.. sweet... cheers guys

Congrats to the winners, all the tunes sound really good

Elvio Neto
05-07-2008, 02:11 AM
OMG i lost my internet conection for 5 days , now im back and saw this

im in 4th place

THANKS!!!!!!!! :)

its my first time in something like this

by the way the name is "Elvio Neto - Milicia Celestial"

thanks again , and congrats to all winners (im downloading the winners zip now)

loopdon
05-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Congratulations to all the participants!

fils_here
05-07-2008, 06:05 PM
congrats!!

Elvio Neto
06-07-2008, 01:41 AM
Congratulations to all the participants!

+1

ritaheed
06-07-2008, 06:36 AM
quality tracks

p_brane
07-07-2008, 06:42 PM
congats people, really digging seige and daniel alfords tracks here. :biggrin:

dan the acid man
08-07-2008, 04:25 PM
well done to everybody for entering, will have a listen to the winning tracks in a mo

Elvio Neto
08-07-2008, 07:00 PM
congats people, really digging seige and daniel alfords tracks here. :biggrin:

+1

fukktry
09-09-2008, 10:40 AM
any chance to upload winners tracks ? the link in the first post doesn't work

Elvio Neto
04-10-2008, 09:23 PM
anyone of the winners was contacted?

rhythmtech
04-10-2008, 09:35 PM
dunno about all as theres differant people looking after the prizes but i know some have definitly been contacted.

RDR
06-10-2008, 06:24 PM
I've been slow with this i know...

Ill get on it and get it sorted. :)

Chris.

278d7e64a374de26f==