PDA

View Full Version : Sample storage

Barely Human
31-12-2003, 01:42 PM
How do you store your enless libary of samples? When i started, i made folders for everything, and kept it all nice and organised. Now ive got lazy, and i have things all over the place. Variuos folders full of shit, and somtimes it takes me a while to find where i put one! I really should sit down for an hour or so and sort it out, but im too lazy!

Are any of your harddrives like this? How often do you sort through them? And how do you keep them organised? I have 1000's of samples that im never gonna use, and are just taking up room on my hdd. Do you delete the useless ones?

DJZeMig_L
31-12-2003, 03:58 PM
Everytime I do a new batch of sample cutting I immediatelly organiz' em.

best loose a few hors and get yer shi* together!

Z

dan the acid man
31-12-2003, 08:01 PM
try burning some that you dont think you will ever use again onto cd as you never know in the future you may be stuck for inspiration, sometimes finding a weird sample that you would'nt normally think about using can suddenly be the thing you was looking for.

Col
31-12-2003, 10:05 PM
my samples are all over my drive. i really need to sort them out. im planning on burning them all to cd very soon.

timo
01-01-2004, 11:44 AM
I recently reorganized my production environment.

I have now a dedicated hard disk with 3 folders:

CDs
Samples
Tracks

CDs contains all Sample CD's I own, Samples is organized in the samples directory and Tracks contains all my tracks. Example of the CDs folder:

Distorted Reality
Love the Machines

Each folder is the content of exactly one CD. I don't backup the CDs folder, as I have them on CD. The samples folder is pretty unorganized, but the main folders are "own loops" and "own samples" which are containing all the stuff I made myself. The Tracks folder is interesting again:

Chris Liebing
Compressor Junkie
Frank Kvitta
Timo A. Hummel

I organize all my tracks by their authors (so I can quickly find remixes for C. Liebing or Frank Kvitta, or to seperate my Timo A. Hummel stuff from the Compressor Junkie). Below that, the directories are named by the track names:

Bastards
HELP! Frank Just Arrived!
Revenge

That way, I can put everything which belongs to a track into a single folder. I also store all the samples within the folder (FL Studio does that by saving the file as .zip). It's pretty easy to backup also.

StoQ
02-01-2004, 04:06 PM
i used to delete useless samples,:) :rambo:

fifoo
04-01-2004, 02:31 PM
All i can say is that you've better save your important samples on cd-r then if u got a serious system crash , u wont be moody :cry:

278d7e64a374de26f==