PDA

View Full Version : time stretching a full track

rhythmtech
14-07-2008, 01:57 AM
have a track i want to up by about 2/3 bpm.

already recorded it all to audio and really dont wanna go back and do it all again.

whats the best app for time stretching... this is gonna be for release so i really want 100% quality. is it possible?

Jay Pace
14-07-2008, 06:00 AM
Why do you want to up the bpm? Can't you just release it as is?

Do you need to keep the key the same but speed up the track?

If so, painful as it is I'd rewrite it rather than garble it through compression. Otherwise just let people play it out faster than you wrote. Fairly standard for people to play stuff faster than the production speed dude, +8 got its name for a reason :)

DannyBlack
14-07-2008, 08:47 AM
have a track i want to up by about 2/3 bpm.

already recorded it all to audio and really dont wanna go back and do it all again.

whats the best app for time stretching... this is gonna be for release so i really want 100% quality. is it possible?

Baz, don't do it!!!! you will ruin the track, doesn't matter what software you use.
Time stretching is only good for samples and little edits etc, but it WILL f*ck a whole track up.

Electrictribe
14-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Only way to do it without demolishing the track would be to pitch it up slightly.

For the sake of 2/3 bpm is it worth it, is it really going to add anything to the track?

DannyBlack
14-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Non time stretched track:llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Time stretching does to a track: l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l (snip snip)

time streched track: lililililililililililililiilililililililililililil ililililililililililililililililililililililili

DON'T DO IT!

rhythmtech
14-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Non time stretched track:llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Time stretching does to a track: l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l (snip snip)

time streched track: lililililililililililililiilililililililililililil ililililililililililililililililililililililili

DON'T DO IT!

depends on the algorhythm danny

for instance nuendo has an amazing algo for timestretching, but you have to select it in prefs because the standard one is shit.

just wondering is there better.. ie the ableton algorhythms?

herman
14-07-2008, 12:41 PM
If it has to be done I'd just do it in Ableton just keep the file in 24 bit (if you work in 24 bit that is of course) and use the Hi Q setting.

rhythmtech
14-07-2008, 12:43 PM
If it has to be done I'd just do it in Ableton just keep the file in 24 bit (if you work in 24 bit that is of course) and use the Hi Q setting.

thats what i was wondering. which stretch setting is best in ableton? i know theres a few.. beats, musical etc etc.

DannyBlack
14-07-2008, 12:45 PM
depends on the algorhythm danny

for instance nuendo has an amazing algo for timestretching, but you have to select it in prefs because the standard one is shit.

just wondering is there better.. ie the ableton algorhythms?

agreed, but you can always hear the time stretch. Think about when the track is most vulnerable- the break down. I guess test it first, but im sceptical.

rhythmtech
14-07-2008, 12:49 PM
agreed, but you can always hear the time stretch.

i dont know about that danny.. i use time-stretchinging in every track.. every time you use an audio file, a loop, or a sample you're essentially time-stretching it. a good program shouldnt make it obvious unless you use the wrong settings, remember there are specific settings for beats, tones etc.

my problem doesnt really lie in whether to time-stretch or not, more in which program will give me the very very best results.

tonyc2002
14-07-2008, 01:25 PM
this is supposed to be the daddy but its pro tools only i think :(

http://www.serato.com/pitchntime-le

*edit, its available for logic too

DannyBlack
14-07-2008, 01:40 PM
i dont know about that danny.. i use time-stretchinging in every track.. every time you use an audio file, a loop, or a sample you're essentially time-stretching it.

Essentially yes, but indirectly. I only really use it for vocals and little blips and bloops but never a whole track- did it a few times with loops befier I made my own and it just sound poop.

I'm curious though, why an extra 2-3bpm? Can you not just up the tempo a smidge?

rhythmtech
14-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Essentially yes, but indirectly. I only really use it for vocals and little blips and bloops but never a whole track- did it a few times with loops befier I made my own and it just sound poop.

what program did you use?

I'm curious though, why an extra 2-3bpm? Can you not just up the tempo a smidge

its the overall feel of the track. its at 140 at the moment i reckon it will sound better about 142ish.

to up the tempo id have to either time stretch 40 odd individual audio parts (which will take me till next year!!!) or else re-record 40 individual audio parts which is what i will probably do if ableton doesnt do the trick for me.

DannyBlack
14-07-2008, 02:36 PM
what program did you use?

its the overall feel of the track. its at 140 at the moment i reckon it will sound better about 142ish.

to up the tempo id have to either time stretch 40 odd individual audio parts (which will take me till next year!!!) or else re-record 40 individual audio parts which is what i will probably do if ableton doesnt do the trick for me.

I started (all my editing really) with cool edit- moved onto adobe audition, recently I have been messing with FL slicer. Nothing hardcore or fancy, but making the best of what I had at the time.

140 bpm Baz, I like the sound of this already mate. Yeah, it is a real pain in the arse to speed up all the parts individually but no pain, no gain right?

Who are you adding the extra 2 beats per minute for though? I mean, once it goes on the platter it will be sped up or slowed down accordingly no?

herman
14-07-2008, 02:42 PM
thats what i was wondering. which stretch setting is best in ableton? i know theres a few.. beats, musical etc etc.

Generally for a whole track Beats works best for me but on occasion Complex is the better one to use , Just toggle between the two and see which one works for you.

rhythmtech
14-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Who are you adding the extra 2 beats per minute for though? I mean, once it goes on the platter it will be sped up or slowed down accordingly no?

adding the extra 2 for me! couldnt care what anyone else does with it.. pitch it up or down.. its all good. but unless it sounds right when i do my bit, i wont be happy with it.

DannyBlack
14-07-2008, 02:58 PM
adding the extra 2 for me! couldnt care what anyone else does with it.. pitch it up or down.. its all good. but unless it sounds right when i do my bit, i wont be happy with it.

Good answer mate. I know what you mean, when I make slower tracks, it simply has to be 121.9 bpm or it just sounds off. The faster ones are 140 dead on.

Elvio Neto
14-07-2008, 04:22 PM
why not put the track in traktor change de speed and then record to wav again

its just a idea (sorry if it looks stupid...)

tonyc2002
15-07-2008, 12:44 AM
why not put the track in traktor change de speed and then record to wav again

its just a idea (sorry if it looks stupid...)

No thats actually quite smart, although because its in the digital domain, it could introduce unwanted artefacts. If it mimics a turntable, it would also alter the pitch.

Barely Human
15-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Ive found the Ableton algo's to be the best. There used to be a good one called Timefactory a few years ago, but I dont know how good that is now. You used to be able to do insane stretches with it without it sounding too bad.

Barely Human
15-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Here's the baby - http://www.prosoniq.com/main/timefactory-2-windows/

278d7e64a374de26f==