PDA

View Full Version : the most technical jocks within?

FuK-NuT
14-07-2008, 02:26 PM
always been a fan of trickery behind the wheels, fusing turntabilist stylee with
this here techno shizzle (aslong as its done well)...apart from the obvious does anyone know off anyone that falls under this bracket...ie

dj murphy
ben sims
sekonz
jerome hill
dave shades

ie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMLQOZc0XE8

marginmaster
14-07-2008, 03:30 PM
love that clip, always have. restecp.

fils_here
14-07-2008, 05:22 PM
quality that ^^

wenna
14-07-2008, 06:14 PM
i would say the dj producer, raw as u like and the space djz for the same reason

davethedrummer
14-07-2008, 09:23 PM
who is the bloke in the clip anyway
i don't recognize the back of his head
it could be me!!
but it isn't

rhythmtech
14-07-2008, 11:05 PM
that clip is sekonz. he's a bit good like.

davethedrummer
14-07-2008, 11:43 PM
yeah not bad
but i bet he couldn't put a fruit pastelle in his mouth without chewing it

dan the acid man
18-07-2008, 08:10 PM
yeah not bad
but i bet he couldn't put a fruit pastelle in his mouth without chewing it

It's just impossible isn't it, i've yet to find anybody that can

DJCraig Ryan
19-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Don't get me wrong the chap has skills...but that sounded awful.

Wasn't pleasant on the ears. Erm what about Dave Clarke & Eddie Halliwell, I know they dont go to this extreme and are different to this style but still rate them as 'technical' djs.

rhythmtech
19-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Dave Clarke

bit of a love him or hate him guy really.

i havent seen him look interested in what he was doing the last 2 times i saw him. looked like he was just going thru the motions to be honest and the "world service 2" mix was dreadful - back in the day though he blew me away on many occasions!

Siege
19-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Some of it was good,...some of it was messy.....like with Cubert, looks good to watch but sounds shite.....tendency to be messy a lot of the time when doing crab scratches etc... for me it as to be clean and tight.

DJCraig Ryan
19-07-2008, 12:34 PM
bit of a love him or hate him guy really.

i havent seen him look interested in what he was doing the last 2 times i saw him. looked like he was just going thru the motions to be honest and the "world service 2" mix was dreadful - back in the day though he blew me away on many occasions!

Yea i agree. Thats the thing with dave clarke he never looks interested one bit, but he has some raw talent

wenna
19-07-2008, 03:14 PM
fx units just piss me off tbh. get some interesting records!!!!!

marginmaster
19-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Thats the thing with dave clarke he never looks interested one bit,

not true

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2UhC03YWoE

Siege
19-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Thats a rare sight;)

DJCraig Ryan
20-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Ha Yea he just looks like a right nob there...cheesy as!!

module
21-07-2008, 12:56 AM
fx units just piss me off tbh. get some interesting records!!!!!

lol... thats funny

rhythmtech
21-07-2008, 02:18 PM
lol... thats funny

was just thinkin that myself!!!

get rid of the fx units and go buy interesting records (that are covered in fx units) :lol: :lol: :lol:

DannyBlack
21-07-2008, 03:38 PM
(that are covered in fx units) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Damaged acid then Baz?

FuK-NuT
22-07-2008, 09:57 AM

Wasn't pleasant on the ears. Erm what about Dave Clarke & Eddie Halliwell, I know they dont go to this extreme and are different to this style but still rate them as 'technical' djs.

jog on

FuK-NuT
22-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Some of it was good,...some of it was messy.....like with Cubert, looks good to watch but sounds shite.....tendency to be messy a lot of the time when doing crab scratches etc... for me it as to be clean and tight.

wot exactly do you find "messy" about it? i can assure you that the maker of
that video wouldnt have put it up if he felt he didnt nail everything as he intended to...and to say q-bert is sloppy is a tad harsh..

do u have and references to better?

Siege
22-07-2008, 03:49 PM
The main clip posted is good...but i watched some of the other clips that are there when that 1 finishes and on these some of the scratching is messy and slightly out.....just all transforming, crab scratches etc..no hand scratches.

Cubert is a legend, dont get me wrong, influenced me over the years....but again, is scratching can be very messy in the patterns etc he puts together.
Mixmaster Mike who used to scratch for the beastie boys is far better....better technique, patterns etc...more of a story to his scratching than just a load of transforming all over the place.

If your clued up on scratching you would know what im going on about and wouldnt take offence to my comments.....theres good scratching and theres bad scratching.

go check Mixmaster Mike, thats a reference.

DJCraig Ryan
22-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Is this your little buddy or somefin? Lets get this straight...i wasn't knocking the lads skills looks sick and he is skilled. I was talking about the sounds he is using...sounded absolutely shite. As a couple of other people said get some decent records on.

Back your comment up lad before you jump in

wenna
22-07-2008, 04:39 PM
yeah the title of the post is: 'the most technical jocks within?' and the guy in the clip isn't imo.

FuK-NuT
22-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Is this your little buddy or somefin? Lets get this straight...i wasn't knocking the lads skills looks sick and he is skilled. I was talking about the sounds he is using...sounded absolutely shite. As a couple of other people said get some decent records on.

Back your comment up lad before you jump in

he is indeed...altho i put the video up as reference only. i asked a question
yet none of u have answered.

im purly interested to know of people who use the turntables as some i have mentioned....never set out to start a "whos better than who" thread...end
of the day weather i like it or not im a promoter, always on the hunt for new
and exciting talent.

thanks for your help tho ;)

FuK-NuT
22-07-2008, 04:57 PM
The main clip posted is good...but i watched some of the other clips that are there when that 1 finishes and on these some of the scratching is messy and slightly out.....just all transforming, crab scratches etc..no hand scratches.

Cubert is a legend, dont get me wrong, influenced me over the years....but again, is scratching can be very messy in the patterns etc he puts together.
Mixmaster Mike who used to scratch for the beastie boys is far better....better technique, patterns etc...more of a story to his scratching than just a load of transforming all over the place.

If your clued up on scratching you would know what im going on about and wouldnt take offence to my comments.....theres good scratching and theres bad scratching.

go check Mixmaster Mike, thats a reference.

havent taken offence m8 sorry if it reads like that but my questions are genuine and have purpose...and i know enough to know that its q-bert, if therez a cubert i appologies ;)

FuK-NuT
22-07-2008, 05:00 PM
yeah the title of the post is: 'the most technical jocks within?' and the guy in the clip isn't imo.

it was a question....ie ?

wenna
22-07-2008, 05:19 PM
the dj producer in my opinion. quite unique, he has the oldskool hip-hop attitude

tamobanter
22-07-2008, 05:48 PM
sekno is an amazing turntablist...but in all honesty...seen him do better in the flesh jst messing around than on that video...an old one aswell is it not?? i've been scratching since i was 19 and am comfortable with the level i'm at, having the 08 pro these days is an advantage because its a digital mixer and the faders are seriously tight, scratching over hiphop breaks dnb and especially breakcore is something i enjoy but spend more time mixing these days....got a couple of routines with some breakcore battle weapons.....might have to film it at some point and get it on youtube ;)

always enjoy an 8 bar session wi sekonz when we're both up for it...end up jst cutting fer hours...even better fun wi the serato for recording our own vocal samples etc to cut up :)

big ups tae sekno

Siege
22-07-2008, 05:59 PM
havent taken offence m8 sorry if it reads like that but my questions are genuine and have purpose...and i know enough to know that its q-bert, if therez a cubert i appologies ;)

Answers to your questions..

"anybody else know of people into turntablism?" yes...me

"what exactly do you mean by messy?" out of sync...not tight

"reference?" Mixmaster Mike

and yeah, theres only 1 Q-bert, the 1 you mean...and i stand by what i said about him.

Not being funny...just making a point that i do know what im talking about with regards to scratching - turntablism......been into scratching since i was 16 years old....im now 30
im just very critical thats all.

tamobanter
23-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Answers to your questions..

"anybody else know of people into turntablism?" yes...me

"what exactly do you mean by messy?" out of sync...not tight

"reference?" Mixmaster Mike

and yeah, theres only 1 Q-bert, the 1 you mean...and i stand by what i said about him.

Not being funny...just making a point that i do know what im talking about with regards to scratching - turntablism......been into scratching since i was 16 years old....im now 30
im just very critical thats all.

qbert is a turntablist wizard

not forgetting others like...

a-trak (won the dmc's when he was 13)
craze
plus one (also from edinburgh...sound dude)
kintaro
klever
skully
scratch perverts (playing edinburgh in sept)
dj rafik
shortkut
d-styles
c2c
cutmaster swift

to name but a few...

ritchie rufftone is really good aswell....but a major fail on the gay RnB he plays these days:lol:

:techno:

FuK-NuT
23-07-2008, 09:50 AM
thats all very well and good but im more after knowing about the people who
combine these skillz with techno, as asked!

tamobanter
23-07-2008, 09:55 AM
thats all very well and good but im more after knowing about the people who
combine these skillz with techno, as asked!

scratchin over techno sounds shit imo..too slow..jerome hill is good at it but i still think its pretty wack..
but i do like what sekno does wi the beat juggling and effects with techno:smile:

basslinejunkie
23-07-2008, 09:55 AM
ive watched the video, some of it sounds good, some of it doesnt. of course its just a youtube uplaod also so probably alot of the sound quality will be lost. but imo in techno, there isnt a need to do as much as that anyway. subtle rather than OTT imo.

FuK-NuT
23-07-2008, 10:37 AM
scratchin over techno sounds shit imo..too slow..jerome hill is good at it but i still think its pretty wack..
but i do like what sekno does wi the beat juggling and effects with techno:smile:

i dont care...i want to know who else does it in techno.

tamobanter
23-07-2008, 10:40 AM

nae bother lol

mark n (hardcore techno) bangin turntablist....sure he won the uk dmc's at some point tae

qUE
23-07-2008, 11:10 PM

I personally used to subtley scratch stuff over the top of Techno many years ago, but now I very rarely mix vinyl (what with one of my decks being old/needing repair and developing my own kit etc.) I'm out of practice and probably value my records a bit more now :(

I dunno about this being clinical with beats, it's just part of the whole showboating thing. I find sloppy offsetting stuff is fine, it's just train tracks you want to avoid :)

Siege
23-07-2008, 11:22 PM
I dunno about this being clinical with beats, it's just part of the whole showboating thing. I find sloppy offsetting stuff is fine, it's just train tracks you want to avoid :)[/QUOTE]

Just down to personal preference then isnt it;)

clubsynthetic
24-07-2008, 01:27 PM
lol@ this thread

Techno would be totally class - i'm NOT saying it isn't already - but if someone nailed juggling like Q-Bert. I haven't seen anyone at that calibre so ya'll get practising! I suppose Dave shades was ok but not MASHUP STYLEEEE.

as for scratching over techno sounding too slow, i think you need to take a longer look at Jerome, Tam and study his fluency with regards to the music he plays at that moment. Gary is good at scratching, but at techno speed i think it all about different combinations i.e scribbling etc too.. like this shiz - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_FFe7lmPuA

tonyc2002
24-07-2008, 04:58 PM
I want to learn some turntabalism but I find it quite hard. I can however, scratch my arse.

clubsynthetic
24-07-2008, 08:52 PM
doesn't bam bam do all that shit?

qUE
24-07-2008, 10:06 PM
I want to learn some turntabalism but I find it quite hard. I can however, scratch my arse.

If it makes the same sample timestretch warping sound and not you shitting yourself, I think you're on to something there ;)

tonyc2002
25-07-2008, 04:26 PM
If it makes the same sample timestretch warping sound and not you shitting yourself, I think you're on to something there ;)

:lol: Indeed!

kate manus
28-07-2008, 09:37 PM
dj murphy
definitely a fan of his... sometimes the scratching can be a bit much but overall I find it quite tasteful... and he puts on a great show!

Stretch
29-07-2008, 02:40 AM
Paul Damage does a bit of scratching.

speed-it-up
30-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Claude Young.
Got the tricks, plays the techno.

the_psychologist
30-07-2008, 07:10 PM
i must agree - trickery is good in techno, but only if its danceable. even in turntablism/hip hop, it can quickly turn into a wankfest where people are just standing around and watching the "insane skills".

these days, just seeing a DJ play a solid set for 2 hours with tight beatmatching, tasteful tricks, relevant track selection, proper levels, and harmonious mixes can be a treat.

stjohn
30-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Claude Young.
Got the tricks, plays the techno.

he doesnt really have the trix tho.. he's good at making it look like he does.. but he's a bit sloppy and does silly stuff that any ol eejit can do like move the cross fader with his chin.

nice guy tho :)

marginmaster
30-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Paul Damage does a bit of scratching.

hes a legend:yup:

DannyBlack
06-08-2008, 03:10 PM
This guy is prety bloody impressive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4hDsgKEXbI

DannyBlack
06-08-2008, 03:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTw56lQAlvk

DannyBlack
06-08-2008, 03:20 PM
and again, bloody silly hat though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT2n1hceh0Y

Siege
06-08-2008, 07:16 PM
yeah, those are all quality, but the thread is about "those within techno".
Could do with getting a clip of my own up....have to get 1 sorted.

The Overfiend
06-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Would def like to hear a Siege set

DannyBlack
07-08-2008, 08:52 AM
yeah, those are all quality, but the thread is about "those within techno".
Could do with getting a clip of my own up....have to get 1 sorted.

I getcha! Sorry lads!

Seige, you practice turntablism?

Siege
07-08-2008, 12:13 PM
I getcha! Sorry lads!

Seige, you practice turntablism?

I can scratch pretty good and do some juggling,etc.....i like to fit a bit into a dj set when possible.....
as mentioned in here though, gotta be in moderation...short bursts or it can get too much.
Try get a clip up soon;)

DannyBlack
07-08-2008, 12:44 PM
NIce one, would love to see it!

Loop
30-09-2008, 01:32 AM
Has no one mentioned Thomas Krome yet?

clubsynthetic
30-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Has no one mentioned Thomas Krome yet?

interesting. is he expensive?

davethedrummer
30-09-2008, 03:09 PM
i have to say i'm not really into all that scratching stuff
i generally find it annoying

sorry

clubsynthetic
30-09-2008, 03:38 PM
ooooooooooo

TomFoolery
30-09-2008, 03:40 PM
I would like to learn to scratch and beat juggle etc but its one of those things that people do to show off rather than necessarily add to the music. Don't get me wrong its bloody impressive and i would love to be able to do it, but it just seems like showboating more than anything else.

clubsynthetic
30-09-2008, 04:20 PM
thats what being at the top is all about. showboating your skills!

davethedrummer
01-10-2008, 03:51 PM
dear DJ craze

I dropped a record on the floor last night and stepped on it
now it's got a huge scratch on it

does that make me a turntablist?

* dj craze mutters "if i had a nickel".......and walks off in disgust *

tocsin
02-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Hellfish.

Loop
03-10-2008, 04:44 PM
@clubsynthetic, yes Thomas Krome is expensive(or was), but worth every bean mate, get on it!

DJPAUZE
27-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Murphy ftw. Hands down the most technical techno dj out there.

For Turntablism i would say Q-BERT or A-track.

rhythmtech
27-10-2008, 03:33 PM
^^ i agree, murphy can be technically excellent but i find he tries to do too much sometimes when theres a simpler option and this can lead to some very gringeworthy moments.. although i must stress that these are very few and far between.

278d7e64a374de26f==