PDA

View Full Version : Top quality headphones?

eppertheleper
14-07-2008, 04:33 PM
I've been using Shure studio monitors and the sound quality is very good. The problem I've run into several times, though, is that they don't properly represent the lows. I get what I think is a well-balanced mix, only to play the track on my home theatre setup or in my car and have the bass eating everything else alive.

What are some recommendations for good over-the-ear headphones with proper lows?

SlimboyPhatt
14-07-2008, 05:11 PM
I've been using Shure studio monitors and the sound quality is very good. The problem I've run into several times, though, is that they don't properly represent the lows. I get what I think is a well-balanced mix, only to play the track on my home theatre setup or in my car and have the bass eating everything else alive.

What are some recommendations for good over-the-ear headphones with proper lows?

I have recently bought some Audio Technica ATH M-50's.

All I can say is WOW!

wenna
14-07-2008, 06:15 PM
i've got the sennheiser hd25, i find it hard to use anything else

Jay Pace
14-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Beyer 770s get well reviewed for dance music. Just make sure you gets the 80ohm model. some twunt sold me the higher ohm model, and they sound rubbish without a headphone amp - massively over bassy. Took me ages to figure out why....

I got sennheiser hd 595 recently, and they's pretty lush.

herman
14-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Beyer 770's and Sennheiser 650's both very good.

eppertheleper
14-07-2008, 09:10 PM

All I can say is WOW!Just borrowed a pair of these from our video production guy at work. I was duly impressed.

I'll take a look at the Beyer and Sennheiser before making a decision. Thanks for the advice.

Oh, and I'm using "twunt", hope you don't mind. :)

eppertheleper
14-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Beyer 770's and Sennheiser 650's both very good.Woah! I believe the 650's are out of my price range, but the 770's are do-able. I'll let you know how they work out. Thanks for the help.

Elvio Neto
15-07-2008, 01:27 AM

All I can say is WOW!

i buy ones recently on Ze Mig L shop

amazing sound!!!

i know people that buy 2 pares just for backup

eppertheleper
15-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Beyer 770s get well reviewed for dance music. Just make sure you gets the 80ohm model. some twunt sold me the higher ohm model, and they sound rubbish without a headphone amp - massively over bassy. Took me ages to figure out why....

I got sennheiser hd 595 recently, and they's pretty lush.Just a quick question, if I get the 80-ohm 770s, will my desktop be able to push them without any trouble? I'll go ahead and buy an amp if it's necessary, or even recommended, but obviously would prefer not to.

Jay Pace
15-07-2008, 05:48 PM
80ohms will be fine without an amp
250ohms will sound weird

But if you can afford an amp, externally amping headphones will make them sound better

eppertheleper
15-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Cool, thanks. I'll see how they sound alone and keep that in mind. I just thought it would be better to buy them both at the same time if it was something I would absolutely need. Appreciate the advice.

loopdon
16-07-2008, 10:50 AM
I have the beyerdynamic dt 880 pros. Very happy with them. Pricey, though. And the put quite a pressure on the ears, because of the way the are built (i don't mean sound-wise but physically). Absolutely sweet, though!

eppertheleper
19-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Got the 770s in today and I have them on right now. They sound fantastic. It's amazing how well they reproduce everything even at very low volume. The clarity is a bit stupifying. Listening to a Reich performance and I can hear the fingers contacting the strings and performers shifting in their chairs.

Thanks for all the advice, people. I'm very happy with the outcome.

People_Mover
19-07-2008, 04:27 PM
It may be a bit academic now, but I have been using Grado SR80 headphones for several years and not only do they sound great, but also feel comfortable (which is essential for those long listening sessions....). Recently after years of heavy usage the earpads were beginning to get tatty, and I thought the purchase of a new set of headphones would be my only option, but found I could replace the earpads for a fraction of the cost. Big thumbs up.

Aratron
19-07-2008, 09:36 PM
i've got Sony MDR - V500. cheap and cheerful.

Ok for my purposes of djing and stuff, used them at a couple of parties and they've been fine.

rhythmtech
19-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks for all the advice, people. I'm very happy with the outcome.

very good choice.. just remember to always check your mix on monitors as headphones can give a slightly exaggerated stereo field.

Aratron
19-07-2008, 10:17 PM
sorry about my earlier post, i forgot you were discussing production headphones.
am i right in thinking that for djing they may not be best?

RDR
20-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Headphones are headphones really. The way that they differ is in the usage mostly. I wouldnt take my DT770's out DJing because they're just too damn expensive and not really built for the rough and tumble of DJing. Im sure they would work fine, but really i dont need that level of detail when DJing, i just need to hear the kick, mostly the hats (I mix on the hats and the swing, not the kick usually)

Aratron
20-07-2008, 02:56 PM
(I mix on the hats and the swing, not the kick usually)

wtf is the swing dude?

People_Mover
20-07-2008, 03:02 PM
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing....

.........doo-wop doo-wop doo-wop doo-wop doo-wop doo-wop doo-wop

rhythmtech
20-07-2008, 03:29 PM
wtf is the swing dude?

the groove

Aratron
20-07-2008, 05:48 PM
the groove

ok

RDR
20-07-2008, 06:17 PM
the swing is what you dance to.. the overall feeling of how the beats, bass and everything else make you wanna shake your hips. If the music makes you wanna jack in a very staccato fashion it probably hasnt got music swing or shuffle. If you feel like you wanna move your hips to it then it has more shuffle. if you wanna immediately get up and start doing ya thang then it sprobably james brown.

Aratron
20-07-2008, 08:36 PM
the swing is what you dance to.. the overall feeling of how the beats, bass and everything else make you wanna shake your hips. If the music makes you wanna jack in a very staccato fashion it probably hasnt got music swing or shuffle. If you feel like you wanna move your hips to it then it has more shuffle. if you wanna immediately get up and start doing ya thang then it sprobably james brown.

thanks for that, the whole gestalt of the sound, yeah?

eppertheleper
21-07-2008, 03:46 AM
very good choice.. just remember to always check your mix on monitors as headphones can give a slightly exaggerated stereo field.Yeah, I pop it into the car and entertainment center too just to see how it sounds on multiple setups. That's how I initially figured out the drawback of my Shures.

RDR
21-07-2008, 07:43 AM
thanks for that, the whole gestalt of the sound, yeah?

never heard it described as gestalt, but yeah if that works for you.

Aratron
21-07-2008, 07:46 AM
never heard it described as gestalt, but yeah if that works for you.

thats just some German term for the 'whole' synthesis of something.
i've never heard of swing before.
but yeah i know what you mean.

RDR
21-07-2008, 07:52 AM
thats just some German term for the 'whole' synthesis of something.
but yeah i know what you mean.

jah, ich verstehe den ausdruck Gestalt.

Aratron
21-07-2008, 07:57 AM
jah, ich verstehe den ausdruck Gestalt.

well my German is lousy but yeah i figured you would have known that.

RDR
21-07-2008, 08:00 AM
well my German is lousy but yeah i figured you would have known that.

so is mine... gawd bless babel fish!

eppertheleper
21-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Here's a quick history of swing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9B44JUwr74

Satchmo doing a swing tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9B44JUwr74

And some western swing for good measure (from my part of the country): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmfo5h_AX9w

People_Mover
21-07-2008, 06:07 PM
I don't suppose any of this applies to industrial techno or gabba then, am I right?

Aratron
21-07-2008, 07:00 PM
I don't suppose any of this applies to industrial techno or gabba then, am I right?

on the contrary dude. you need to hear the swing even more when your mixing two tunes together at 190 plus.

eppertheleper
21-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Sorry, here's the satchmo clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nugGHt_NDQ&feature=related

Don't know that there's much "swing" in gabber. There may not be room for it between vicious kicks. It's more of a "jump up and down as fast as physically possible" thing, in my experience.

People_Mover
21-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Don't know that there's much "swing" in gabber. There may not be room for it between vicious kicks. It's more of a "jump up and down as fast as physically possible" thing, in my experience.

And then throw up your lager? Or real ale, in my case :eek:

Elvio Neto
22-07-2008, 01:37 AM

humm strange...

in Portuguese language countries whe say "swing" or "jinga" to the body dancing in the music rythm

but "swing" is used in all the world i think

Aratron
22-07-2008, 12:35 PM
humm strange...

in Portuguese language countries whe say "swing" or "jinga" to the body dancing in the music rythm

but "swing" is used in all the world i think

i've led a sheltered life . . .

278d7e64a374de26f==