PDA

View Full Version : jay pace - retemberings (remix)

Jay Pace
16-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Allo

Done a remix for a argentine label. Was a bit weird to remix, original was very abstract and I'm not sure about what i've made.

Anyways, if anyones got any pointers etc all much appreciated. New studio setup to contend with as well, so feel a little out of goose production wise at the mo.

http://www.blackboxtechno.co.uk/retemberings.mp3

cheers

jp

Little_Fella!
18-07-2008, 04:05 AM
Nice and hypnotic this one Jay...:;

Love the subtle percussion grooves going on - - very well worked

I reckon you could create another layer by adding some warm rich sub under your lead synth - - creating the same feel that I liked on 'Enemy Crab' when things kick in...

Variation on percussion coinciding with this would work the track nicely... shaker layer to shimmy things around a bit perhaps

Like the hint of hip-hop rhythm a couple o bars before it kicks back in - - again bringing back memory of these very well blended styles in Enemy Crab

When you open up the lead before n after the break it comes over just a notch or two too loud I think... and the kick needs some bottom end too

Am just settling in myself to new surroundings as you know :exclaim:

When you bring this on a par with the afore mentioned track I reckon the dudes you are remixing for will be well made up... :cool:

Jay Pace
12-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Cheers for feedback benjy

Reworked this a bit and its now gone off to master. Its completely unmastered as is, but happy with the levels as is, bass and sparkle will all come out during mastering. Will be available as a free netlabel download on 808m sometime sooon.....

No more remixes for me for a bit. Been doing my head in trying to work aroudn someone elses ideas. Good challenge, but itching to make stuff from scratch for a change .

Final version for anyone interested - feedback always appreciated!

http://www.blackboxtechno.co.uk/retemberings.mp3

DannyBlack
12-08-2008, 06:48 PM
I like this a lot mate, laid back and laced with a nice bit of venom. Great work mate.

Lag
12-08-2008, 07:38 PM
i really like it too

DVNT
13-08-2008, 12:51 PM
I like this a lot mate, laid back and laced with a nice bit of venom. Great work mate.

Couldn't have summed it up better. That final build is wicked. Nice and dubbed out but still retaining a pound to it.

Jay Pace
13-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Cheers fellas, feedback always much appreciated

force
14-08-2008, 01:05 AM
Took me a few listens this one. Wasn't sure what i thought about it at first. Now its on my mp3 player.

When it goes up a gear at 2:30 there's a f!cking lovely, heavily chorused, percussion sound that darts in... Love that.

If anything, AND THIS IS REALLY NITPICKY, i'd have liked more of the higher freqs cut from the bassline when it starts, so its less pronounced and more 'throbby', if you get my drift.

really, really nice stuff dude, like to hear the original now as well.

Siege
14-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Nice work Jay, could imagine this on a big rig, ...effective.
production sounds nice, simple arrangment works very well.....Good stuff mate.
Deffinatley sounds like one of yours;)

Jay Pace
14-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Cheers chaps, great feedback

Daren - know what you mean on the filtering. Did think that, but changed it around a lot. Might take another look....

:D

DannyBlack
14-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Hypnotic, I can't stop listening to it.

Lag
14-08-2008, 11:10 PM
likewise
i miss music like this
simple, yet effective and savage

beep
26-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Nice track. Decent kick drum sound. Builds nicely. Good stuff man.

Is it rude to ask what synth used to make the main bass/lead?

Jay Pace
27-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks again guys

synth is monologue - free bundled synth with cubase SX3. There's a few layers and signal processing going on, but mainly its a monolgue patch.

StoQ
28-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Hi Jay. Linkin this stuff, im not to much into this kind of music but feel it for sure. everything is wise prepared, clean, but i'd install some more powerful bass, probably because im more into hard techno. id also add some odd background.

btw as ur cubase user what do you think about its compressor? is it worth to use it or choose something else on vst?

Jay Pace
28-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks man
Bass should come out fine during mastering, I tucked a pad sound under the mix but think I might have set the level a touch too low. Both sounded fine once a bit of mastering compression was applied, so hopefully should get the intended result.

Don't use any of the cubase compressors much, I use the built in channel EQs quite a bit though when I'm mixing stuff together for the first time. Quick, easy and doesn't tax your processor at all.

Jay Pace
05-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Yo.
This is now mastered and released for free from the excellent peoples at 808m. Posted it up in the releases section as well, but thought I'd put an update here. Some cool tracks and a nice concept.

http://i78.servimg.com/u/f78/11/38/05/34/808m0011.jpg

Derelikt is one of Astro City's characters, a comic written by Kurt Busiek and Brett Anderson, which main theme is a superhero city. For those who couldn't read it, Astro City is a city which people have outstanding powers, like Orphan, Ruby, Samaritan and many more. The analogy we can make with our mini-compilation is a normal world with people with powers like making different rhythms from those who are making common rhythms.

Marsias, with Cunnilingus, takes us to the Congo and puts us together with mature papayas, stabs and african percussions. 100% summer-ish accent.
Krlox, instead, makes us a mental-trip to a not-so-long future where cyborgs meets vintage machines and a constante groove made of 'retemberings', fake word describing a better-past futurist regret.

The remixes were made by Andrés Bucci (also known as Chord), an artist with an unique style who released his creations on Background Rec, Cynosure, Kupei, Traum (as Detalles together with Kate Simko), Virgin Index., among others; and Jay Pace, one of the most promising emergent artists of the new school.

Artwork was made by Alejo Muñoz(exo) and mastering by Archipel's CEO Pheek. Download .zip container (http://www.archive.org/download/808m002-derelikt/808m002Various-Derelikt.zip)
(size 86,7 mB)

DannyBlack
05-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Sound mate, nice one! Love this track, it's wicked.

DVNT
05-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Wicked. On this downloading marlarkly. :)

Jay Pace
05-11-2008, 05:37 PM
NEW LINK:
Download .zip container (http://www.archive.org/download/808m002-derelikt/808m002Various-Derelikt.zip)

DVNT
05-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Jay. Your remix is top of the pile with this release. :) Great stuff.

Jay Pace
05-11-2008, 06:42 PM
hehe thanks man! Glad you guys liked :)

DannyBlack
05-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Agreed, top stuff.

278d7e64a374de26f==