PDA

View Full Version : Glade Festival '08

Si the Sigh
17-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Anyone going? I'm leaving here at 4pm and heading down...

:tongue:

Si the Sigh
17-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Looking forward to Slam, Jeff Mills, Mark Broom, Rob Hall, Frequency 7, Jim Masters, CJ Bolland and more! :)

Numeric
17-07-2008, 10:32 AM
teknorich is goin

two of my colleagues have gone

have a good one, hope it doesn't rain mega bad like last year

Si the Sigh
17-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Last year was the MAIN washout! :)

Not sure what the forecast for the weekend is, but it can't be as bad as '07...

force
17-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Leaving at 6, can't ****ing wait!!!!

Si the Sigh
22-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Wow! Super fat weekend. :)

Saw the following play: Tobias Schmidt, Mark Broom, DJ Godfather, CJ Bolland, Slam, Frequency 7, Overproof Sound System, Billy Nasty, System 7, Dubfire, Claude Van Stroke, Paul Woolford, Warlock, Jeff Mills (worst mixing EVER! I could have done a better job with his first 5 or 6 mixes), Vex'd, Daddy Freddy, Rob Hall, Autechre, Clark, Earl Gateshead, Red Snapper and The Orb.

Mental time, roll on next year.

Need sleep...zzzz....

Frank Dogshit
22-07-2008, 09:38 AM

Saw the following play: Tobias Schmidt, Mark Broom, DJ Godfather, CJ Bolland, Slam, Frequency 7, Overproof Sound System, Billy Nasty, System 7, Dubfire, Claude Van Stroke, Paul Woolford, Warlock, Jeff Mills (worst mixing EVER! I could have done a better job with his first 5 or 6 mixes), Vex'd, Daddy Freddy, Rob Hall, Autechre, Clark, Earl Gateshead, Red Snapper and The Orb.

Need sleep...zzzz....

were mill's tunes any good though?

Si the Sigh
22-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Yea man, some great tracks, it's just that he wasn't mixing them very well at all. Trainwrecks at the start of the set. That limited edition Token by Phase was ruined by his mixing, in and out. First time I'd seen him live, and to be honest, I wouldn't bother again.

Frequency 7 were ace. Ben Sims got a huge welcome as soon as he'd taken his hat and coat off. He hadn't even stepped up to the decks and it was aready going off. Some cool "Twisted Disco" Surgeon style specs were handed out to the crowd during their set. Trippy lenses in them led to some quality visual fun. :)

Mark Broom was superb as per usual, and Billy Nasty was on fire! Ripped the roof off the Glade tent and he seemed to be having the time of his life.

Dubfire was my unexpected surprise of the weekend. Utterly superb!!!

Numeric
22-07-2008, 10:52 AM
glad to hear you had a good one man

Mills should have retired years ago

Si the Sigh
22-07-2008, 11:01 AM
To have your own DJ'ing requirement set up wheeled out onto center stage and still not be able to mix is a joke.

basslinejunkie
22-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Yea man, some great tracks, it's just that he wasn't mixing them very well at all. Trainwrecks at the start of the set. That limited edition Token by Phase was ruined by his mixing, in and out. First time I'd seen him live, and to be honest, I wouldn't bother again.

Frequency 7 were ace. Ben Sims got a huge welcome as soon as he'd taken his hat and coat off. He hadn't even stepped up to the decks and it was aready going off. Some cool "Twisted Disco" Surgeon style specs were handed out to the crowd during their set. Trippy lenses in them led to some quality visual fun. :)

Mark Broom was superb as per usual, and Billy Nasty was on fire! Ripped the roof off the Glade tent and he seemed to be having the time of his life.

Dubfire was my unexpected surprise of the weekend. Utterly superb!!!

dubfire is quality. i didnt realise there was that many quality dj's at glade this year, i vaguely remember looking at the lineup and thinking meh, how wrong i was!!!

Si the Sigh
22-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Was really feeling the Dubfire sound on Saturday night. 2 hours of super lush baselines. Would love ID's for any of the tracks or labels played during the set. Need to get me some stuff like that! :)

Numeric
22-07-2008, 12:50 PM
what was CJ Bolland like then, did he play a good set?

koma
22-07-2008, 05:50 PM
same question for claude von stroke... :)

djfase
22-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Has jeff mills ever been able to mix though?

Answer has to be no

wenna
22-07-2008, 07:53 PM

Need sleep...zzzz....
what did you think of autechre si??? how long did they get?? an hour just isn't long enough!! warlock it that the guy from way back when in the technodrome etc.. jason i think is name is maybe??

teknorich
23-07-2008, 10:34 AM
First time I ever saw Mills play, and what a total let down. Loads of mixing errors, but that was to be expected. The Liquid Room mix is full of mistakes, but has such a raw, exciting atmosphere to it that it doesn't matter. Sadly, excitement is exactly what this set lacked. He was frankly boring. Every time he picked it up, and got the crowd into it, he then followed with a ten minute "clever" section - dropping the bass out totally, leaving drum rolls running for 5 full mins (thus killing all adrenalin rushes etc) and noodling around. He got worse as the set went on, and I was literally just stood still by the end, waiting for him to stop mucking about and just put the damned beat back in. Then, to cap it alll off, he totally messed up the VERY LAST TRACK of his two hour mix. Had to re-start it about three times, cos it kept going off and leaving us stood in silence. Admittedly, that might have been techincal issue and beyond his control, but the fact that he kept taking out the beat (surely the most important thing to keep going?!) and leaving us stood, bored, whilst he messed around with the tracks, was a real joke. Not at all impressed, and won't be seeing him again.

Claude Von Stroke was never gonna be Techno, but played a tougher set than I expected, and was good enough. I only caught the last 30 mins of Dubfire, but he was great!! Tougher than I had anticipated, though not Techno as such. More hard edged minimal, but some great basslines in there, and good mixing too. Sims/Surgeon were good, if a little slow?

My set of the whole festival was CJ Bolland. I didn't know what to expewct, but he just played relentless, rough, dark techno all the way through, really pounding the crowd. The room was jam packed, and absolutely rocking! Definitely gonna be downing some of his mixes, was well impressed.

Don't think I'll be going to Glade again though. Pity to say it, but the volume limits have killed it off. I was stodd in the middle of the tent, and could easily talk to a mate without shouting, whilst Sims was playing. This is not right... It was so quiet that the music lost all it's punchiness and just sounded flat and empty. Such a pity to hear what was clearly a good set, but just not be able to feel it properly because it was so pathetically quiet. They have Funktion One soundsystems, but I can still chat at normal volumes inside the tent?!? Something is not right there... The general opinion of my mates, and a few people we over heard was that the music was good, but you still just didn't really get into it, mainly cos the vibe wasn't there due to it being so quiet. Unless they have an official press release to say that the volume will be louder next year then I'm not going again.

kai
23-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Caught very few full sets - and missed first 45 mins of Mills so thought it was really good set myself.

Highlights of the weekend for me were (in no particular order): Meat Katie, KJ Sawka, Dubfire, Pendulum, Mills, Lukes Anger, Droon, Utah Saints and the vibe in the ID-Spiral.

Also caught parts of Atomic Hooligan, The Grid, Billy Nasty, Daddy Freddy (wanker!!!), The Orb, Chris Clark, Ans & Allaby, Steve Thorpe, Peter Paul, Stanton Warriors, Tomb Crew, Warlock, Godfather, Bolland, Vibes, Bong-Ra, Hellfish, Scotch Egg, Marousa, DJ Distance, Tim Sheridan & Mr C, Tribe of Frog DJ's and The Sancho Panza residents on the Sunday.

(Took some line-up referencing to remember all that lol)

All in all a wicked weekend with lots of interesting, forward thinking new music and lots of good party people having a good time!

Just one major gripe - volume levels after 12 o'clock were FAR TOO LOW! Spoilt many a set!

Mucky Beats
23-07-2008, 11:06 AM
[QUOTE=teknorich;646480]

My set of the whole festival was CJ Bolland. I didn't know what to expewct, but he just played relentless, rough, dark techno all the way through, really pounding the crowd. The room was jam packed, and absolutely rocking! Definitely gonna be downing some of his mixes, was well impressed.

QUOTE]

good stuff mate ! he is on at techno experiment vs sequence on 22nd of aug !

teknorich
23-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Quality choice Mackie, he'll do you proud. Have to say I didn't recognise many tracks from the set, but one that definitely stuck in my mind was Speedy J - Krikc. It was just a hard as nails, dark and dirty set, but quality all the way, not just mindless pounding. I'm supposed to be taking a break for a couple of months, to let my brain cool off a bit, but you may have tempted me to break my fast there...

Si the Sigh
23-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Anyone who was at Glade and heard either Billy Nasty or Dubfire recognise any tracks played? Any track or label ID's to check from either artist would be great.

The 2 sets of the weekend for me. :)

Mucky Beats
24-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Quality choice Mackie, he'll do you proud. Have to say I didn't recognise many tracks from the set, but one that definitely stuck in my mind was Speedy J - Krikc. It was just a hard as nails, dark and dirty set, but quality all the way, not just mindless pounding. I'm supposed to be taking a break for a couple of months, to let my brain cool off a bit, but you may have tempted me to break my fast there...

wicked man ! this deffo aint one to miss the rig in sankeys is wicked aswell...nowt like techno loud hehe!!!

Paul Zykotik
24-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Don't think I'll be going to Glade again though. Pity to say it, but the volume limits have killed it off. I was stodd in the middle of the tent, and could easily talk to a mate without shouting, whilst Sims was playing. This is not right... It was so quiet that the music lost all it's punchiness and just sounded flat and empty. Such a pity to hear what was clearly a good set, but just not be able to feel it properly because it was so pathetically quiet. They have Funktion One soundsystems, but I can still chat at normal volumes inside the tent?!? Something is not right there... The general opinion of my mates, and a few people we over heard was that the music was good, but you still just didn't really get into it, mainly cos the vibe wasn't there due to it being so quiet. Unless they have an official press release to say that the volume will be louder next year then I'm not going again.

Same problem as the last 2 years then. The year before that they banged it out and got a severe reprimand - in order to keep what is a fantastic venue they've had to greatly compromise on the sound and yes, it really does spoil things. Was part of the reason why I wasn't arsed about going this year, even though the line-up was bloody good.

They won't get it sorted until they move away from that venue, but I imagine finding good quality land, easily accessible from all parts of the country and away from anyone likely to want to get any sleep that weekend is not a very easy task.

On another note, have seen CJ Bolland 2 or 3 times and he's been superb every time. Good quality dancefloor techno.

Mucky Beats
24-07-2008, 12:12 PM
On another note, have seen CJ Bolland 2 or 3 times and he's been superb every time. Good quality dancefloor techno.

wooohooooo good to hear ...im getting well excited about him playing at techno experiment !!!

G-BO
24-07-2008, 10:23 PM
what a weekend!

cant believe im hearing bad words wrote about mills, his set was awesome, he was back on the 909 and used it to some great affect, some ropey mixes at times when he was playing all sorts of effects, loops and drums over the top of each other, thought he was majestic in periods, i believe its blasphemy to slag the man off when hes in that form!

autechre, current value, daedelus, chris clark, luke's anger, scotch egg and the bangface nite in general was awesome...cj bolland was garbage as usual and i was shocked at how dull and uninspiring frequency7 were, id imagine ppl already made their minds up at how amazing they were gonna be b4 they even heard what they had on show, was shocked how crap they were, 2 of my fave djs b2b, im gobsmacked tbf...looked like sims playing the worst set ever while surgeon was sending e-mails

Frank Dogshit
25-07-2008, 11:53 AM
what a weekend!

cant believe im hearing bad words wrote about mills, his set was awesome, he was back on the 909 and used it to some great affect, some ropey mixes at times when he was playing all sorts of effects, loops and drums over the top of each other, thought he was majestic in periods, i believe its blasphemy to slag the man off when hes in that form!

autechre, current value, daedelus, chris clark, luke's anger, scotch egg and the bangface nite in general was awesome...cj bolland was garbage as usual and i was shocked at how dull and uninspiring frequency7 were, id imagine ppl already made their minds up at how amazing they were gonna be b4 they even heard what they had on show, was shocked how crap they were, 2 of my fave djs b2b, im gobsmacked tbf...looked like sims playing the worst set ever while surgeon was sending e-mails

some harsh critical words there gerry son. id like to hear this mills set for myself to be fair,hear what hes upto. anyone have a clue whether its been recorded or not?

basslinejunkie
25-07-2008, 12:14 PM
yer some massivley contrasting views in the replies in this thread, classic case of one mans garbage is another mans gold. would like to hear the sets to forge my own opinion.

Numeric
25-07-2008, 01:25 PM
apparently Mills is playin at the Warehouse Project soon so we'll get the chance to pass judgement on him then

Jay Pace
25-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Some people just don't like mills or get his style.

Don't blame them. I've heard some shockers from him, and other times he's been the best dj in the world bar none, and nobody else comes close to what he achieves at the helm.

I love Glade, first I couldn't make. The sound is problematic because of the nearby village complaining, plus UK H&S regs on how loud sound is allowed to be. Shite state of affairs, last year they invested in noise cancelling acoustic shielding that was supposed to cancel out sound beyond a certain distance. Guess it didn't work that well.

The site is incredible, makes the festival really. When they started the barely had any techno, and there was very little on at night. Might have to return to that strategy, because quiet techno at 3am just doesn't work.

teknorich
25-07-2008, 02:16 PM
The site really is quality, and I definitely understand why they want to keep hold of it. But if that means the music being ridiculously quiet, then you have to wonder if it would be better to use a different, lower quality site, but with fewer volume restrictions.
I was even wondering if they could run until 2am instead of 4am, and thus have it louder, but as people have pointed out - the music went reeeeaaallly quiet at midnight. So, the only solution seems to be either move sites, or stop the music at midnight, which would never happen.
So yeah, as far as I can see Glade will stay there, and will hence always be really quiet.
It's gutting, cos the festival has an incredible amount of potential, and as Jay said there has been more and more techno each year recently, but I don't think I'll be going back. The pitifully low volume just killed everything off...

G-BO
25-07-2008, 06:55 PM
i was at the front of the queue circa 2002-2004 when mills popularity was into overdrive (uk festival gigs/radio1/ibiza) to slag him off as he went off the rails doing ropey mixes but playing the biggest pile of cheese, seems since then people just go to hear him play a set and base their opinion of him due to a few ropey mixes forgetting about the actual substance of his sets, now over the last couple of years hes been back to basics, rumbling machine music with a brilliant live musical interface aspect which seems to be lost in a world of digital music, seen him in manchester in october last year and at glade in the weekend and he was sensational each time! ive heard him play stinkers too, seems people have forgot about how great techno used to sound, now we are suckin the balls of 'good dancefloor techno', seems to be a term for middle of the road piss, which is what cj bolland is, seen him in belfast recently and at glade, horrible dated techno, get it away, please

was great to hear him play reverting and dbx losing control, what a festival set!

G-BO
25-07-2008, 06:58 PM
i thought the sound was spot on after friday nite, saturday evenin, coulda been better, but it didnt come close to ruining my festival, though if it continued in a similar vain to friday nites levels and saturday afternoons (in patches) it would have, guess some people just got on with it

kai
29-07-2008, 10:37 AM
G-Bo - were you one of the Bellfast crew camped just up from the bald tree in the quiet camping area?

tOM B
29-07-2008, 01:23 PM
it was too quiet - but the festival gets massive amounts of complaints about sound every year - in order to carry on they are forced to get quieter and quieter. i personally think it's local people that just don't want the festival to happen regardless of whether they actually get disturbed by the noise

for the record i thought jeff mills was awful but played a few nice records, frequency 7 was great but too quiet and CJ Bolland was awesome

kai
29-07-2008, 02:11 PM
i personally think it's local people that just don't want the festival to happen regardless of whether they actually get disturbed by the noise

DEFINATELY!!!

Apparently there were even complaints on the Thursday night about noise and there wasn't even any music on till the Friday!

Must have been the banging sounds of tent pegs being hammered into the ground lol

G-BO
29-07-2008, 04:55 PM
for the record i thought jeff mills was awful but played a few nice records, frequency 7 was great but too quiet and CJ Bolland was awesome

lol @ some nice records

i prefer actual techno tbf, cj bolland is a far cry from that these days, F7 was so drab it didnt make sense, though tbf there was way better music being played all weekend in the overkill

"kai G-Bo - were you one of the Bellfast crew camped just up from the bald tree in the quiet camping area? "

i know the guys who were there i think, we were camped beside ' get your oats here' and the 'mexica' food stall over the hill, we called it 'overkill avenue' lol

kai
30-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Yeah I think I came over to speak to your crew with my mate Alan (lad from Blackpool who lives in Belfast now - at least a few of your lot knew him) at some point on Saturday dinnertime - you'd all been awake all night after Bangface and looked kinda fcked at the time lol

G-BO
30-07-2008, 05:16 PM
i cant remember that instant, but yeah alan grimshaw lives round the corner from me in belfast, yeah wed been awake all nite after bangface, wasnt feeling tired though, just prob was ****ed haha.....my heart started to go after current value came on after autechre, was pure demented dancefloor lunacy in periods on saturday nite in the overkill, thought i was gonna have a heart attack, barely made jeff mills, got there and stood there for 2 hours and clapped a few times, though it was a pleasure :)

tOM B
30-07-2008, 05:38 PM
i prefer actual techno tbf, cj bolland is a far cry from that these days, F7 was so drab it didnt make sense, though tbf there was way better music being played all weekend in the overkill

strange isn't it i felt CJ Bolland did a good job of knocking out some good straight honest no frills techno

there was some great stuff go on in overkill, i thought autechre played a box-rockingly good set (my fav of the weekend) was loving getting lost in the surround sound swirleyness

G-BO
30-07-2008, 06:31 PM
its down to preferences alot of time

its like a new wave of techno is about and some people actually prefer cj bolland to jeff mills, its not what id agree with, so maybe im being OTT

its def in trend for this new wave of techno lovers to slag off jeff mills, its not a bad way of worming out that nostalgia and make way for new even better techno djs, but really is there any better techno dj about than mills? imo there isnt based on what ive heard recently

tOM B
01-08-2008, 10:33 AM
to be fair i've seen mills 3 times now - twice i've been unimpressed and once i've been blown away by how good he was

i know everyone has bad days behind the decks but there seems to be an attitude amongst some folk that it doesn't matter how well he's mixing because it's jeff mills - i just can't sign up to that

it's like going to see aphex and watching him play sandpaper etc - some folks stand there and say - he can do what he wants becuse he's aphex twin, wheras i'm inclined to go and find someone playing something i can dance to

278d7e64a374de26f==