PDA

View Full Version : Sample clearance on mp3 sites

d3v
18-07-2008, 02:35 PM
I’m looking into putting tunes on some mp3 dance download sites and wanted to get an idea of how strictly the various sites enforce any policies on uncleared samples / copyrighted material etc.

On the tunes I’ve got samples ranging from totally obscure tv and movie snippets to less obscure of the same and also vocal snatches of other peeps tracks – again mostly quite obscure stuff but not all.

Anyone have any insight on this, i’m assuming digital distros have to be a lot stricter on this kinda stuff.
Any opinions on which sites are actually any good would also be helpful.
Cheers

tonyc2002
18-07-2008, 03:29 PM
I’m looking into putting tunes on some mp3 dance download sites and wanted to get an idea of how strictly the various sites enforce any policies on uncleared samples / copyrighted material etc.

On the tunes I’ve got samples ranging from totally obscure tv and movie snippets to less obscure of the same and also vocal snatches of other peeps tracks – again mostly quite obscure stuff but not all.

Anyone have any insight on this, i’m assuming digital distros have to be a lot stricter on this kinda stuff.
Any opinions on which sites are actually any good would also be helpful.
Cheers

The truth of the matter that in underground dance music is that most people dont bother with sample clearance because A: its too expensive and B: Not many people make enough money from there tracks to be worth sueing. Download sites (I would imagine) are the same as a real record store in that the liability is passed onto the creator of the track. If someone did raise an issue of copyright violation it would be you who had to deal with the consequences not the site/store. I think anyway lol.

Jay Pace
18-07-2008, 05:03 PM
The worst that can happen (i think) is that you might be forced to hand over your "profits"

But the chances are you aren't going to be rolling the benjamins off the back of a digital release, so I'd say just do it. Seems to be the general rule... there are some huge tracks out there that never got clearance.

"Mr Kirk, your son is dead"

d3v
19-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Sweet, wasn't sure if it would pass some liability on to the sites and that they might cover their asses by taking tunes off - i may not be worth pursuing but the sites themselves might be.
thanks

acidsaturation
22-07-2008, 01:18 PM
I think the sites can be chased.

tonyc2002
22-07-2008, 08:19 PM
I think the sites can be chased.

Well in theory then, that means every record shop thats sold a bootleg white label can be chased as well!

:confused:

man_d
22-07-2008, 08:44 PM
http://www.sound-effects-library.com/terms.asp

t&c's from an online sfx library i used to work for.

"7. For the purposes of creating so called "library music" clips or so called "production music" clips intended for commercial exploitation, the included audio samples may only be used "in combination" with other sounds within musical compositions. For example, any rhythm loop samples (which Sound Effects Library Limited or its Library partners regards as being musical clips in themselves) must also be combined with other types of samples or sounds to effectively form a new composition, rather than simply being looped. If in doubt over this or any kind of usage, please contact. "

tonyc2002
22-07-2008, 09:28 PM
http://www.sound-effects-library.com/terms.asp

t&c's from an online sfx library i used to work for.

"7. For the purposes of creating so called "library music" clips or so called "production music" clips intended for commercial exploitation, the included audio samples may only be used "in combination" with other sounds within musical compositions. For example, any rhythm loop samples (which Sound Effects Library Limited or its Library partners regards as being musical clips in themselves) must also be combined with other types of samples or sounds to effectively form a new composition, rather than simply being looped. If in doubt over this or any kind of usage, please contact. "

I think this is more to do with licensing royalty free samples for use in your own compositions.

tonyc2002
22-07-2008, 10:34 PM
http://www.trackitdown.net/genre/hard_dance/track/582658.html I'm pretty sure Nirvana recieved no money for this! :lol:

DJ Asylum
23-07-2008, 04:16 AM
http://www.trackitdown.net/genre/hard_dance/track/582658.html I'm pretty sure Nirvana recieved no money for this! :lol:

my my i am loving what they did to that, the time gone into it must run up into the tens of seconds! :crackup: :hmmm:

d3v
23-07-2008, 09:34 AM

Ha ha, i would guess not but maybe they cut a deal and just have to **** courtney love for every d/l - or maybe every 2 d/l, i'm sure she wouldn't want to price herself out the market :cheese:

herman
23-07-2008, 11:50 AM
When you sign up with digi stores or a digi distribution there will be a clause basically saying you are liable for the legal content of your music.

278d7e64a374de26f==