PDA

View Full Version : MMA Fans??

Siege
19-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Always liked the Ultimate fighting championships, even more so now setanta have signed a deal to show all there events.
They have an event being shown tonight,featuring the worlds best pound for pound fighter..Anderson Silva....for any fight fans that aint seen him before, u need check him out....guys a f*cking beast!
Middleweight champ whos moving up to light-heavy for the first time, after cleaning up his division.
Some of the moves he pulls off is unbelievable, awesome skill and technique.....monster striker!!
Not sure what time its being shown...dont think its on at silly,o,clock though,..around 10ish i think?

Will
19-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Sounds like i ought to invest in Setanta, I like my MMA...

djfase
19-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Silva nicknamed the spider. Without doubt the best fighter in UFC in any division and I include Gracie and GSP.

His knees are devastating as rich franklin can testify.

I love MMA as ive said on here before, and i have a few mates who do it and the training is intense. Very fit guys.

It may be brutal at times, but the rule changes over the years have made it alot less so

djfase
20-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Proved how good he was last night.

Stepped up from mddle to light heavy and knocked the guy out in a minute

Quality

Numeric
20-07-2008, 10:33 AM
not into it but watch it sometimes round me mates, didn't see the fight last night

davemoore
20-07-2008, 03:50 PM
sentanta sports have made a big diffrence to the english game of football im not into ufc or nething like that just pub fightning lol but i have alot of respect for sentanta alot of people dont like the fact that they give english footy teams so muxh money but its made us the best league in the world .

Siege
20-07-2008, 04:54 PM
I got setanta mainly just for the boxing, then when they signed up with UFC, that was just a bonus....though last night i stayed up till about 2.00am,..only to find that the scheduled UFC event had been switched to setanta 2(sky users,not freeview) instead of setanta 1 like it was supposed to be......have to wait till tomorrow now to watch the re-run.
Seen the silva fight on youtube today...all 1min of it...guy got 1 timed!

djfase
20-07-2008, 07:17 PM
I got setanta mainly just for the boxing, then when they signed up with UFC, that was just a bonus....though last night i stayed up till about 2.00am,..only to find that the scheduled UFC event had been switched to setanta 2(sky users,not freeview) instead of setanta 1 like it was supposed to be......have to wait till tomorrow now to watch the re-run.
Seen the silva fight on youtube today...all 1min of it...guy got 1 timed!

They sent out an email fri or sat about changing of the channels so didnt miss out, although id be gutted if that had happened to me

fatcollective
20-07-2008, 11:13 PM
i been watchin UFC for a while now, proper fighting...if you have free view, cage rage is on nuts tv..channel 43 i think...hard mother fvckers, fair play!

Siege
21-07-2008, 01:29 AM
Yeah, i seen cage rage a few times on Nuts tv.....its pretty good but i prefer UFC.......cage rage is UK domestic level, UFC is more premier leauge.

eppertheleper
21-07-2008, 03:53 AM
It was a pretty good UFC card. Brandon Vera looked like a huge pussy, but other than that they were all pretty good fights. The Spider is one of my favorite fighters. He's so respectful and humble. He can sure bring the pain, though. He caught that leg and BAM, fight's over.

Did anybody catch the fight they showed right after the Spider-Sandman? The head kick? Ouch!

After Pride folded, the UFC took over as the premier league for MMA. It was interesting that a small upstart company called Affliction held their first pay-per-view event last night. Dana White (president of UFC) quickly threw the Silva fight together to try and crush them. Pretty much the only thing they had going for them was Fedor, who is still considered the best heavyweight in the world, even though he hasn't fought any real competition for 2 years. Last night he went against former UFC heavyweight champ Tim Sylvia and destroyed him. They also had Andrei Arlovski and Babalu, two former UFC studs who had petered out and been let go. I heard it was a decent card, but it's doubtful they can stand up to the UFC. Interesting side note, former UFC referee "Big" John McCarthy is heavily involved with Affliction. I wondered why I hadn't seen him calling any fights for a while.

djfase
21-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Yea mccarthy left UFC and is working with affliction.

Hes a rule maker for the company, and the rules are slightly diiferent than the UFC.

From what ive heard the rule changes are gonna go across the MMA board so expect some changes in the coming months

Siege
21-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Yeah, i seen the affliction event being advertised...had a pretty impressive lineup.....watched the fedor-sylvia fight on youtube.
Fedor took him out in 36sec! Between him and Silva as the worlds no1 for me....Would love to see Fedor in the UFC, though i cant see it happening...theres been talk of him fighting Randy Couture?...have to see.
Dont think Affliction are trying to take over UFC, theyve just said they wanna put on some good fights, on a.. as and when basis..........fair play to them.
Thought them getting Mr Buffer was a good call....guys a legend;)

Gonna watch the re-run of UFC fight night tonight,....setanta 1

Will
21-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Looks like the video's of Silva v Irwin have been taken down on youtube... Does anyone know of a guy called Tony Sabb I think it is who fought/fights in K1 I think it is - he's immense! Ex-american football player...

eppertheleper
21-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Dana White already basically told them to take their rule changes and stick them up their ass. We'll see if he has any trouble getting his fights sanctioned in particular states because of it, but I kind of doubt it. You know Nevada is going to side with him, then there will be other smaller states that will be more than happy to accomodate in order to get a UFC event (come on, Oklahoma!).

Whether Fedor gets to fight (and probably destroy) Randy Couture is still tied up in legal limbo. Dana White couldn't get the Fedor fight when Randy was the UFC champion, so Randy quit the UFC to try to get that fight somewhere else. Dana has subsequently refused to release Randy since he has two more fights on his contract. I kind of doubt that it will happen before Randy is too old to make it much of a fight, but I hope so.

Which Buffer did they get? Bruce or Michael?

djfase
21-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Fedor didnt just beat sylvia, he destroyed him.

Punched him to he ground then submitted him. Dominant.

They even got herb dean as a ref aswell

Siege
21-07-2008, 06:38 PM
They had Micheal Buffer...the original, lets get ready to rumble!

Yeah, Bob Sapp(ex american football player) fights in k1 and yes,hes f*cking huge!...but ive seen him get his arse kicked loads of times.......every time he fights any body decent,he gets pumelled. Japs love him though.

Most of the Silva v irvin clips on you tube have been taken down,but theres still some on there...just gotta search about.

SlavikSvensk
21-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Looks like the video's of Silva v Irwin have been taken down on youtube... Does anyone know of a guy called Tony Sabb I think it is who fought/fights in K1 I think it is - he's immense! Ex-american football player...

bob sapp. he didn't translate well to pride, as you can see...he basically runs out of steam and can't deal with a good ground game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B0K6hs8ps8&feature=related

Siege
21-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Haha...thats probably one of his better performances to be honest! shite;)

@will if u go on you tube and type...Anderson Silva Vs James Irvin - Irvin talks shit........u can see the fight there.

djfase
21-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Bob sapp is awful.

The only reason hes loved in japan is cos he either knocks out or gets knocked out.

Hes a first round fighter, anything later and hes blown out

eppertheleper
21-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Bob Sapp vs. Mirko Cro Cop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypxE_RhwE9M

basslinejunkie
21-07-2008, 09:37 PM
haha bob sapp,what a joke. ive actually seen him cry after getting punched by a guy 3 times as small.

basslinejunkie
21-07-2008, 09:50 PM
hahaha no way thats the fight!! didnt realise

eppertheleper
21-07-2008, 10:01 PM
In his defense, Cro Cop is a monster. Still, he goes from looking REALLY tough to looking like I would if punched by Mirko.

WAAAAAH! I want my MOM-MEEEEEEEEE!!!

drift9
22-07-2008, 04:32 AM
finally got back from vacation and got to check out the silva/sandman fight. what a fckn beast that guy is. love how he usually apologizes to opponents after kicking the living sht out of him as well.

drift9
22-07-2008, 04:34 AM
actually been meaning to ask you guys on the other side of the pond this as well: UFC has been really trying to push into the UK market. usually a fight there every several months or so now. and they're really pushing Michael Bisbing to lead that publicity charge. has the UFC gotten any traction in the UK? is it advertised heavily there? been curious about this.

also, sick card for the beginning of next month btw

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventDetail.FightCard&eid=1415

Numeric
22-07-2008, 10:09 AM
i watched the Silva vs Irvin fight last night replayed on Setanta

Silva is a beast

Siege
22-07-2008, 11:21 AM
I missed the re-run last night,...thought it was on around ten, bit was on at 7.00pm...doh!

Yeah, UFC is getting pretty popular over here in the UK...like u said, they do an event over here every few months...nxt 1 being in birmingham i think? and there usually sell outs everytime...
The deal done with setanta is evidence there breaking through to the uk market.

In a way,the explosion of UFC and mma in general, as given boxing a big boot up the arse.....thats why theres been a lot of big fights being put together latley...Mayweather v Hatton etc etc....boxing as had to pull its finger out as they know the UFC is becoming massive......when Hatton fought Mayweather in Dec on pay per view, theres was a UFC event on the same night also on pay per view....the UFC event apparently had 10,000 more viewers than the boxing, so thats saying something.
In the UFC you cant fanny about picking and choosing who you wanna fight, your just told who your fighting and thats it....where as in boxing theres usually a lot of pollotics bullshit between the fighters and promoters, resulting in the best not fighting the best......thankfully this as started to change, starting to see some real good matchups now, with an absolute pearler this coming saturday between Cotto v Margarito.....this as the potential to be fight of the year....both are world champs unifying and both are probably the 2 most violent boxers around today......26th, 3.00am, setanta;)

eppertheleper
22-07-2008, 04:33 PM
also, sick card for the beginning of next month btw

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventDetail.FightCard&eid=1415Should be a great one. I like Fitch, but I'm afraid le Canadien Francais is just too skilled. He could get lucky, though. Same thing I'm afraid is going to happen for Heath Herring. When Lesnar came out on Frank Mir he was destroying him until he left his leg open. Herring doesn't have the ground game of Mir, though, so he should get run over.

I'm a bit worried about Affliction for the reason that I don't want MMA to get too fractured. While monopoly might not be a good thing in business, it seems to work best for sports. Boxing has become so fractured that there is no real top tier, it's just a big mess. If lots of different promotion companies get into the mix in MMA, I'm afraid the same thing might happen.

eppertheleper
22-07-2008, 04:37 PM
finally got back from vacation How was the all-gay cruise, by the way? You have fun?

http://www.atlantisevents.com/images/cruises_pic4.jpg

http://www.atlantisevents.com/images/resorts_2007_vallarta_pic1a.jpg

djfase
22-07-2008, 06:47 PM
I dont think MMA will become too fragmented as the UFC is known to be pinnacle of the sport now there is no pride.

And yes the scene is being heavily pushed, what with sky also showing cage rage, which in fairness is poor compared to UFC. It didnt help that shamrock rolled over for buzz berry...

Then again bisping is someone the ufc believe can become a world champion in his division, so thats another reason for the push.

Can bisping beat silva? No is my answer as silva is far too good.

Siege
22-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Agreed....Bisping is good, but theres no way he could beat Silva......Only way he as a chance of becoming a world champ,is if Silva stays at light-heavy....but hes already said he will come back down to middle to defend his belt.

drift9
22-07-2008, 07:32 PM
I dont think MMA will become too fragmented as the UFC is known to be pinnacle of the sport now there is no pride.

And yes the scene is being heavily pushed, what with sky also showing cage rage, which in fairness is poor compared to UFC. It didnt help that shamrock rolled over for buzz berry...

Then again bisping is someone the ufc believe can become a world champion in his division, so thats another reason for the push.

Can bisping beat silva? No is my answer as silva is far too good.

yeah, i def think the UFC is not under serious threat from Affliction. They will always be the 900 lb gorilla in this sport unless they manage to fck up spectacularly. that said though, i fully agree with what epper is saying: i don't want Affliction to be successful as i don't want the sport to get fragmented. i want one big company/league that all the best fighters fall under. i don't think having one huge one and a handful of other moderately-successful ones does the fans justice. that's kind of why i was hoping Affliction would flop. guess we'll have to see what the Pay Per View receipts were in the coming weeks.

as for Bisbing, yeah, i don't think anyone is beating Silva for a REALLY REALLY LONG TIME. but, i think he is a great posterboy for pushing the UFC in the UK: he's a phenomenal fighter and a great personality (when he's not shtting on Hamil). the kind of fighter Dana White loves to push the sport. exactly why Dana loved Rampage so much. until Rampage went psycho last week and tore the sht out of Newport in his monster truck and got arrested that is....

Richierush
22-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Bob Sapp vs. Mirko Cro Cop must be the worst dig ive seen put a big man like bob sapp down :lol:

thing i hate about ufc is when u get a big hard hitting bastard against a technical guy who gets ya in all kinds of holds,its bad to watch u wanna watch a big hitter v a big hitter or tecnical v technical

eppertheleper
22-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Lyoto Machida vs. Tito Ortiz was the perfect example of that. Tito couldn't get a hold of Machida to punish him, so Machida just used his superior karate and speed to keep Tito at distance and won the fight by points.

What happened to the two posts above Richie's? Too offensive? I thought they were kind of tame. I had like three MUCH more offensive ideas of which way to take that "rash" response.

That's a real product, by the way.

drift9
22-07-2008, 10:07 PM
What happened to the two posts above Richie's? Too offensive? I thought they were kind of tame.
no joke, that was def kind of a weird one. kind of scratching my head on that.

eppertheleper
22-07-2008, 10:09 PM
http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

Siege
23-07-2008, 12:37 AM
What happened to the two posts above? Too offensive?

strangley, they do tie in with the topic....

Plenty of mma fighters are taken from behind and battered around the ring

drift9
23-07-2008, 05:08 AM
Plenty of mma fighters are taken from behind and battered around the ring
LOL!

Siege
23-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Richie Rush....removal needed!!

Esox Lucius
24-07-2008, 10:01 AM
i love watching people fight, whether its outside my local or on the telly.

Richierush
25-07-2008, 08:04 PM
i was bored an felt like deletin aload of gay blokes on my screen :lol:

SlavikSvensk
25-07-2008, 08:43 PM
this is probably the funniest fight i've ever seen

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/28321/kung_fu_master/

Richierush
25-07-2008, 09:03 PM
love that stance at the start :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==