PDA

View Full Version : Digital DJ'ing.....a few questions!

tonyc2002
22-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Ok, I have decided to look more into this. I played out earlier in the year at a small festival using a laptop, a couple of MIDI controller's and Ableton Live and although it was good fun (with flawless mixing hehe), I did miss the tactile feel of vinyl. Therefore, I have decided to look at the timecoded vinyl option but have a few questions regarding this...

1. Whats the best system? I am completely out of touch with whats what at the moment, i.e. Final Scratch, Serato Scratch, Torque etc....

2. When hooked up, is it easy to switch between MP3's controlled by the timecoded discs and a 'real' record? For example could I take off the timecoded disc thats on the deck thats being cue'd and slap on a tune without messing about with the software or hardware?

3. How hard is it to setup in a professional club environment? Would it involve powering down the PA or angering the sound engineer whilst ripping cables out the back of the mixer?

4. Anything else I need to think about? :)

Thanks!

rhythmtech
22-07-2008, 10:44 PM
1. Whats the best system? I am completely out of touch with whats what at the moment, i.e. Final Scratch, Serato Scratch, Torque etc....

serato scratch seems to be the best and most stable by all accounts.

2. When hooked up, is it easy to switch between MP3's controlled by the timecoded discs and a 'real' record? For example could I take off the timecoded disc thats on the deck thats being cue'd and slap on a tune without messing about with the software or hardware?

yes. its just a case of flipping the switch on your mixer from line to phono.

3. How hard is it to setup in a professional club environment? Would it involve powering down the PA or angering the sound engineer whilst ripping cables out the back of the mixer?

piss easy. just like setting up ableton except you'd need 4 free channels to plug into - 2 phono and 2 line-in

4. Anything else I need to think about?

yes. you should think about buying the "damaged trax" back catalog!!!!! :lol:

tonyc2002
22-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Ahh good stuff....apart from the advice on question 4. I heard the output of that label is a bit tame :lol:

Jay Pace
22-07-2008, 11:36 PM
I'd go for traktor scratch. Tis the newest, traktor is by far the best controller software, and the new one lets you sync to ableton. Serato is ace, but more turntablist orientated I believes. Do not get final scratch. Stupid cocking cuntbags, all but abandoned its customers when native instruments stopped working with stanton. I'd go with Native & Traktor for the long term software support, the hardware is much of a muchness these days - its the software that makes it. Traktor 3 is the business.

All systems are equally easy to switch.

To be honest, this can be a little nerve wracking.
No matter what the set up, you will always have to unplug the turntables from the mixer and plug them into your unit. Then you plug the unit into the mixer. If you can set up before the club opens so much the better. Otherwise you have to try and unplug the dj before you's decks and plug them into the box as you go. There is also a bit of a problem that a dj set up might sound ok for the guy playing vinyl, but won't work for you. Bad wiring or inverted signals might not show up on a vinyl set up, but it will screw up the timecode for you, which means that you can't play your mp3 files at all. If you are going to do a digital dj make sure you always take your own needles with you.

4. Anything else I need to think about?

Buy some good needles for your setup, and pack a bag of vinyl to be on the safe side. That way if all else fails you can still play as per normal. Also avoid boosting the highs - they'll sound a lot more piercing because its a digi file. Generally I'll take a touch off the high EQ and add a bit of bass, gives it a more vinyl like sound. Unfortunately most club systems are set up to sound good for vinyl - which usually has much less prominant high frequency noises. not a big deal, but worth bearing in mind when you takeover from the dj before you.

For its drawbacks (bit more fiddly to set up) the ability to buy tracks for $1 and search for them in a second is more than worth it. Tis the business, always loved mixing, doing it digitally just let me get the record collection I always wanted but could never afford.

tonyc2002
22-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Thats brilliant advice Jay, thanks very much, especially the advice on taking your own needles and a back up bag of vinyl (i wouldnt have thought of that haha!) :)

Just to clarify though, when setting up, if all the faders were down on the mixer would it stop everything going bang or doesnt it matter? I would be a bit nervous (like you say) when dealing with a big, loud, system! :lol:

PS

Baz, I was only messing mate, I actually bought one of your tracks from trackitdown the other day :)

rhythmtech
23-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Baz, I was only messing mate, I actually bought one of your tracks from trackitdown the other day :)

sniff sniff.. you've moved me.. sniff. :tongue:

278d7e64a374de26f==