PDA

View Full Version : slippery ninja - this year will be different

slippery ninja
30-07-2008, 04:49 PM
hi, new to the forums here. i've been looking for a dedicated tech forum to post a track i wrote about a month ago for some constructive criticism. kinda glitchy kind of track in a light way really enjoyed making this which is pretty much my first go at the genre... i'm mostly happy with the way the track is now tho i have some minor adjustments to make but thought i would put it out there.... hope you enjoy it!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=806036&songID=6572966

DannyBlack
30-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Hia mate! Welcome to BOA! :-) I'm in work at the moment so I will have a listen to the track later at home.

slippery ninja
30-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Hia mate! Welcome to BOA! :-) I'm in work at the moment so I will have a listen to the track later at home.

thanks very much for the welcome, have fun @ work haha. not really sure what kind of standard my music is so you may wish you never listened tho lol..

DannyBlack
30-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Haha cheers man, work just aint fun today! Ah mate, my music sucks donkey balls so it's all good! Will blam up some feedback when I get chance to bang it out!

slippery ninja
30-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Haha cheers man, work just aint fun today! Ah mate, my music sucks donkey balls so it's all good! Will blam up some feedback when I get chance to bang it out!

lol when is work ever fun? thats why they call it work lol.

DannyBlack
30-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Too bloody true matey! :lol:

rhythmtech
30-07-2008, 06:10 PM
hey,

firstly welcome to the site :smile:

little bit of constructive criticism for you:

1. kick is all happening in the low mids, needs a bit of sub to pump it.
2. snare needs the bottom eq'd out a touch.
3. overall compression needs to be worked on as at times it sounds like a lot of differant elements rather than one track.

overall its a good tune. catchy with some nice little synth edits.

keep it up!

slippery ninja
30-07-2008, 06:24 PM
hey,

3. overall compression needs to be worked on as at times it sounds like a lot of differant elements rather than one track.

keep it up!

thanks for the welcome and quick reply. when u say overall compression needs to be worked on is there any pointers you could make? compression/eq is taking a while for me to learn so any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks for the listen!

DannyBlack
30-07-2008, 06:27 PM
thanks for the welcome and quick reply. when u say overall compression needs to be worked on is there any pointers you could make? compression/eq is taking a while for me to learn so any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks for the listen!

I'm right with you on that one mate, getting my head around it too.

rhythmtech
30-07-2008, 06:33 PM
theres no exact tips that i can give as everytime you compress it will be differant. the only way to learn is to learn.

have a read of this guide to compression and limiting, it will help you understand the process better.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KX7ZHVXB

DannyBlack
30-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Cheers Bazzer- not sure if thats the one Chris gave me a while a go. Need it again anyway.

slippery ninja
30-07-2008, 06:40 PM
theres no exact tips that i can give as everytime you compress it will be differant. the only way to learn is to learn.

have a read of this guide to compression and limiting, it will help you understand the process better.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KX7ZHVXB

thanks heaps.. gonna head to bed but i'll be reading through that for sure!

DannyBlack
31-07-2008, 02:39 PM
hey,

keep it up!

Listened to this last night, I agree with Baz- Bass kick needs more bass.
Over all, its a wicked track! some really nice ideas you got going on!

slippery ninja
31-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Listened to this last night, I agree with Baz- Bass kick needs more bass.
Over all, its a wicked track! some really nice ideas you got going on!

thanks matey! really enjoyed making it.. kinda got in the zone with that one and pumped out the main parts of the track in around 5 hours or so which for me is a record haha. will work on the kick, seeing as im only working on headphones most of the time its sometimes hard to get an idea whether the bass/kick is strong enough. i've got a feeling the bass needs a bit of work as well but im not sure till i get a day free from the kiddo's to listen to it on some decent speakers.

BloodStar
01-08-2008, 05:47 PM
nice ideas in there. i like bits halfway the track, there are some nice synth parts...

production needs some work as was said. better separation of single instruments EQ and level wise, then grouping, compressing, reverbing, etc...

personally i am not too keen on the glitch fx. now and then is ok, but it sounds to be way too much of it. maybe using some different fx as a counter part could sound cool....

welcome to forum, anyway ;-)

slippery ninja
05-08-2008, 12:32 AM
nice ideas in there. i like bits halfway the track, there are some nice synth parts...

production needs some work as was said. better separation of single instruments EQ and level wise, then grouping, compressing, reverbing, etc...

personally i am not too keen on the glitch fx. now and then is ok, but it sounds to be way too much of it. maybe using some different fx as a counter part could sound cool....

welcome to forum, anyway ;-)

thank you, and thanks for the listen. definitely going back to this, working on another project but will come back to it hopefully with a fresh ear.

278d7e64a374de26f==