PDA

View Full Version : percussion samples - manipulation ideas?

Col
04-01-2004, 09:22 PM
just wondering how u guys go about manipulating percussion samples? what plug-ins do you use? if any?

on that subject, does anybody know of any free percussion samples on the net? ones that have been slightly processed?

lunatrick
04-01-2004, 09:53 PM
I've always found that recycle does the trick, you can break up the sample into it's compenent parts and then re-arrange them

DJZeMig_L
04-01-2004, 10:27 PM
pitch, pitch eg mod, pitch mod, filter, eq, reverb, eq, add samples, compress , add reverb, eq, compress, etc...

Use a sample for something it was not originally for...

don't really know if it was that helpfull but there it is anyway,

Z

FILTERZ
05-01-2004, 01:17 PM
well i allways go for a suck it and see kind of thing where plug ins and stuff are concerned , just trying anything and everything to get some original ideas or sounds, however pitching them around allways sounds quite good as does panning , filtering is great on claps and short delays with lots of feedback sound great on occaissonal hits ;)

professor
05-01-2004, 05:35 PM
use synths to make your percussion. then you don't have to worry about "mashing-it-up".

then the usual plug-ins...compression, reverb, distortion, eq,

Col
05-01-2004, 11:19 PM
use synths to make your percussion. then you don't have to worry about "mashing-it-up".

then the usual plug-ins...compression, reverb, distortion, eq,

which synths would u recommend for creating percussion? i always use samples, usually apply reverb, pitch and use a little eq.

how can u get really drastic results from a dry sounding percussion sample?

professor
06-01-2004, 05:10 PM
just about any synth will make blips and squeeks, kicks and creaks. Just need to figure out how to envelope/filter/wave form everything.

something I like to do is make several similiar sounding hat sounds/ kicks/ whatever. play them all together filtered and EQed all different ways and sample it...then add whatever effects I like at the time to my sampler. simple but effective way to design your own sounds. create a library of your very own, then create tracks that are 100% unique.

This takes a considerable more amount of time, but the results are very gratifying.

synths a rad.

BloodStar
07-01-2004, 11:37 AM
You can start with some factory presets and tune them how you want. The presets on Pro53 is a bit shit IMO,. I found there are some interesting on Synapse Hydra, I've found this synth very usefull and comfortable to work with. Tune some percussion preset,.add some EQ,.,compression,.,distiortion,.and,. then :clap:
:twisted:

EmotionComplex
07-01-2004, 11:47 AM
soundforge's synthesis tone generator, you can create allsorts from that by generating differnt waves at differnt amplituedes and applying pitch bends and effetcs etc

DJZeMig_L
07-01-2004, 02:49 PM
U can always go 4 the more obvious : A DrumSynth VST i ... Attack is preatty good!

Z

jibberish
08-01-2004, 02:20 PM
http://www.soniccharge.com/

A new VST to give you just what you need !

DJZeMig_L
08-01-2004, 02:33 PM
thank's bro that proggy has been discussed here already.. check out the old posts!

Z

jibberish
08-01-2004, 04:05 PM
i missed that one...oops...

Col
08-01-2004, 11:35 PM
soundforge's synthesis tone generator, you can create allsorts from that by generating differnt waves at differnt amplituedes and applying pitch bends and effetcs etc

i remember u giving me that tutorial on making a kick drum through this greg. i was well impressed. you'll have to tell me how to do it again sometime.

DJZeMig_L
09-01-2004, 01:09 AM
there U go...

http://www.infected-mushroom.net/Studio/Html/Kickdrum_Tutorial.htm

Made by a very impressive and famous Transe group form Israel... Infected Mushroom.

Z

EmotionComplex
09-01-2004, 01:29 AM
yeah you can get allsorts from it, ive got a set of hats and kicks i made somewere, ill have to find them

Col
09-01-2004, 12:03 PM
there U go...

http://www.infected-mushroom.net/Studio/Html/Kickdrum_Tutorial.htm

Made by a very impressive and famous Transe group form Israel... Infected Mushroom.

Z

cheers miggy, thats the one greg talked me through.

Mika Silo
09-01-2004, 02:47 PM
i always use the eq, compressor etc to manipulate percussion, but it often doesnt change the sound as much as i want.. i was wondering, are there any people routing their percussion through fm7 or pro53 to make drastic changes in sound? because i believe you can do some heavy manipulation with it, plz correct me if im wrong :)
btw: i like attack a lot too

DJZeMig_L
09-01-2004, 09:24 PM
I used 2 use one of the aux sends form my mixer into a dirty old analog for filtering, I got some phat dirty stuff out of it, but it's mainly what U'd get from any sampler with a good filter+efx+mod... like eg on the filter/ amp, lfo to the filter, little distortion, etc...!

Doing what u sugested is a good idead but I reckon it's basically the same with the difference on the quality of the filter, etc.. on fm7 or any other...

There is a new quad filter by antares and another one by TC Electronics... it should be brilliant

Z

Mika Silo
11-01-2004, 07:34 PM
yeah you're right migl. I could only add some distortion and filter it, but I thought you could do more with it, but obviously not :cry:
I'll go and check those filters you mention, the one im using atm doesnt always do the job as I hoped it would do.. Cheers! :)

DJZeMig_L
12-01-2004, 01:05 AM
Also try using a little bit of tube distortiong (antares tube is great ;)) just 2 had a bit of character.. Also while using the input filter of some software u can take advantage of it's modulating facilities n effects but this kinda varies with the actuall VST I u r using!!

Z

Mika Silo
12-01-2004, 06:20 PM
yes antares tube rocks indeed :) I'm playing around with absynth using granular modulation on wav files, getting some interesting results.. i'm gonna try the input filter thing you mentioned.. you mean just using, for example, fm7fx as an insert fx? Cheers!

278d7e64a374de26f==