PDA

View Full Version : Propellerhead Reason 4.0?

Jarno
05-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Has anyone used Propellerhead Reason 4.0 yet?

i'm thinking of buying it.

I currently use Reason 2.5

Jarno [ctrl.alt.del]

eppertheleper
05-08-2008, 09:03 PM
I do. Just got it a few months ago as my first foray back into production. I love it, but I can't offer any comparison to previous versions as I only used to play with real-world gear, no virtual stuff. I'm sure there are others here who have owned earlier builds that can give some insight into the improvements (other than Thor).

I haven't messed with any sequencing or synth software in several years and I picked it right up. After watching a few vids on youtube and doing a little bit of reading, I was right back into the groove. With you already owning 2.5 I would think it would be a cakewalk to get it. If you're wondering whether it's worth it to upgrade or not, you would have to ask someone else, but I've read here and other places that Thor (new synth) is worth the price alone.

Jay Pace
05-08-2008, 09:33 PM
I've got reason 4

I was on 3 before that. 3 was important because you got combinators. They made life a squillion times easier, plus you got a mastering suite without decent compressors etc.

I use reason mainly as a VST rewired to cubase and do all the engineering in there, but so the combinator was a massive step up. Mastering suit was nice, made things sound shiny whilst mucking about in reason.

Reason 4 - haven't really got to grips with it yet. There's a new synth that I haven't quite figured out, and a groove mixer that I don't think I'll use, plus a few other bits and bobs.

Really depends how you use reason and for what.

DannyBlack
06-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Get FL8 Studio edition instead.

RDR
06-08-2008, 08:49 AM
I love reason.

But only for the following:

The Subtractor+Matrix edit combo.
The NNXT via rewire... the NNXT is one of the best samplers i ever used. Reason v2.5 takes up very little CPU over rewire.

*Here's a tip... if you want interesting looping patterns connect the matrix pattern seq from the CV or gate out to the back of anything, such as the subtractor, into on of its CV inputs for perhaps FM or Phase or anything you fancy really and set the pattern to an odd length, say 5,7,9 etc and randomise the pattern... The note sequence will loop as normal, but the modulation will not, and will create some superb sounding variations*

Lag
11-08-2008, 01:48 AM
i do all my stuff in reason and then rewire to nuendo and bang some nice ffects there?
reason is the most fun program ive come around
what rdr said is just 1% of all the reason sound ****ups u can do
its really really fun.

beep
27-08-2008, 12:25 AM
I love Reason. Use it rewired to Live mainly.

I am using version 3.0 at the moment. Not got round to upgrading yet. The addition of Thor is the big thing in version 4 I think.. I seem to have heard surprisingly little from people about it though.

278d7e64a374de26f==