PDA

View Full Version : My 1st track, go easy...

fils_here
10-08-2008, 05:13 PM
hi have been getting into the production side of things recently and have come up with this http://www.sendspace.com/file/rpibnc
if anyone could download it & take a listen, see what they think? it's my 1st tune just under 7 mins long, any feedback good or bad, tips, advice is greatly appreciated. i know i haven't posted much on this section but once i get my head around a few things i will comment/leave fedback for other people's tunes. cheers all.

rhythmtech
10-08-2008, 06:38 PM
hey fil,

first thing that stands out at me is the crash at the start of every bar. you need to lose that and just use it to emphasise the start of a new passage really, otherwise it just becomes very nagging.

your melodays need work as every seperate melody seems based around one note. try to vary the pitches a lot more.

automate the synths to add more flavour to the elements - eg the frequency cut-off, the attack, the sustain etc. changing all these elements bring more movement to a tune.

i wont go into the engineering side yet as its best to learn about composition before you start getting into the technical side of things.

all in all keep trying. single out an element in your track (ie: synth) and compare it to the synth in a track that you know. listen to how the differant movements affect the overall feel of the track.

good luck.. its a very long but pleasing road.

fils_here
10-08-2008, 06:55 PM
gotcha on that cymbal crash, i wasn't sure about putting that in, thanks for the advice barry, i know i got a lot more work to do so will take all this on board, think i'll stick with the idea of this track though & go with tips you gave me.

DannyBlack
15-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Yo fil, you still working on production mate? Any updates?

dirty_bass
22-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Welcome to the endless quest for the top of the production mountain.

Seeing as you are starting out, let me give you the best advice I think I would have loved to have gotten whane I started.

The most important element of sorting out a mix is EQ.
Equalisation will make a mix fit together without clutter.

The absolute BEST type of EQ there is, is none at all.

When putting a tune together, picking the right sounds to begin with will help out immensely in getting a good production.

Many producers try to cram all sorts of stuff into their mixes, and think everything can be sorted with eq, they then hack away at their sounds with subtractive eq to make them fit, and end up with unnatural, thin sounds in a weedy winey static mix. And everything ends up sounding WEAK on a club system.

EQ is an unnatural process, so you want to use as little as possible.

When making a tune, as you add each element, look at what you have already got in the mix, think about the EQ area these sounds take up, and then when thinking of the next sound, pick a sound that already fits into the empty areas, and doesn`t cross over into the full areas.
That way any EQ you need to use will be minimal.

Production by sound choice is the best lesson I have learned in mixing.

Essentially, sometimes the sound you want, may not always be the sound you need.

Nice start anyway, keep at it, this mix is surprisingly together for a first tune.

Little_Fella!
25-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Hello there Fil Devious...

I've downloaded a couple of yur mixes`way back, which were of the 'happy go lucky kinda acid techno' side of things, as i remember... :)

Well this is a good start as you have identified the right elements which would purport to the making of a 'techno' genre track... that background atmospheric strange vocal is pretty cool n I like that kind of thing coz your mind makes up what it is saying...

Best thing that was said to me on starting out was listen to what your into (alot!) and emulate it, both in structure and 'feel' using similar sounds... you have done this to a certain point re your break down - which works and i like how it comes back in - - a good pointer is to listen to when changes come in on your fave tracks - -

Look at the mix in your sequencer window and think about what's going on each 4 bars then 8 bars then 16 bars etc. and structure what elements you think will sound right coming in at each of these points, or like whether you 'feeeel' the mix is ready for a new element - picture yourself on the dancefloor as this is a different way of listening to music to being sat at home...

Try this way of approaching your next mix and set this first one aside as you don't wanna fall into the same trap I did and get caught up in trying to make a track work when it is better to move on - - you learn faster that way... groovy :cool:

fils_here
26-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Yo fil, you still working on production mate? Any updates?

i have been working on some acid with a friend of mine, should be finished next week or so.

fils_here
26-10-2008, 01:09 PM
@ dirty bass, thanks for your advice have been getting into e q'in the different elements brought in lately (have teamed up with a friend & he's been showing me a lot).
@ little fella, thanks for advice & tips, have been making a couple of other tunes techno based, with more changes on the 16's & 32's, been working on the cut offs (is that what you call it?) pretty spot on there mate with tips, will post summat up soon, thanks again guys.

also been working on kick drums, layering & adding a touch of reverb etc.

278d7e64a374de26f==