PDA

View Full Version : Man Utd In £20m Henry Swoop

Insomnia
11-08-2008, 05:25 PM
SIR Alex Ferguson last night refused to rule out an amazing £20m swoop for Barcelona superstar Thierry Henry.

Fergie has turned to the Arsenal legend with Spurs continuing to play hardball by demanding £30m for their Bulgarian ace Dimitar Berbatov.

And, asked directly last night whether he was ready to swoop for the Frenchman, the Manchester United boss said: “I can’t answer it because I’ve not got a direct answer.

“We’re looking at options elsewhere.

“It’s possible we’ll sign someone this week. We have one or two options we’re looking at.

“I know we’re having a problem scoring goals at the moment, but if you’re making the number of chances we are at the moment, we shouldn’t worry about it.

“Players will come back and we will eventually add to the squad.”

A move by 31-year-old Henry to Old Trafford would be a major coup for Sir Alex, with the striker thought not to be a fan of either the manager or the club.

The need to boost his attack was illustrated as United – missing virus victim Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo, who has an ankle injury – failed to turn dominance over Pompey in the Community Shield into goals.

United won 3-1 in a penalty shoot-out and Fergie was full of praise for Carlos Tevez, who provided most of United’s attack threat.

He added: “I expect big things from him. He’s got a lot of heart to play the game, is never intimidated, fights for every ball that comes near him. He’s a real handful.

“It was a superb performance. Just a pity he never got a goal that he deserved.”

Fergie singled out centre-back Rio Ferdinand, who was not skipper yesterday following the return of Gary Neville, who was back after a broken ankle.

“Rio is third in line to be skipper simply down to age, behind Gary and Ryan Giggs,” he said.

“Ferdinand gave an exemplary display, intercepting every ball that came towards him, broke out of central defence so many times with comfort.

“It was a magnificent performance. He’s an absolutely magnificent player and in that kind of form he’s the best centre back in the world by far.

“He’s 30 now, he’s got experience and his potential is being fulfilled.”

Richierush
11-08-2008, 08:49 PM
i read that in the star today was shocked that he's 31,i can see him avin a gud phew years left in him too

fatcollective
12-08-2008, 09:50 AM
would be great to have herny at united, but i think this is more a psychological punch at spurs! but lets see what happen towards the end of the week...think united do need another striker!

lukekendall
12-08-2008, 10:02 AM
would be great to have herny at united, but i think this is more a psychological punch at spurs! but lets see what happen towards the end of the week...think united do need another striker!

v true mate, lloks like fergies up to his old tricks again

Numeric
12-08-2008, 10:03 AM
United desperately need a striker, word is Barca are gonna play Henry in their Champions League qualifier tomoz, so that would rule him out of the group stages if he were to move to Old Trafford, can't see Sir Alex being into that

bien que je déteste Henry, je voulais toujours le voir * unir

DJ RE:HAB
12-08-2008, 10:51 AM
United desperately need a striker, word is Barca are gonna play Henry in their Champions League qualifier tomoz, so that would rule him out of the group stages if he were to move to Old Trafford, can't see Sir Alex being into that

bien que je déteste Henry, je voulais toujours le voir * unir

He wouldnt go to United...

He said if he ever went back the prem it would be to arsenal..

Hes not as quick as what he use to be either, so i dont think he would have the same impact plus theres a saying "never go back".

Why would fergie pay £20 Million for a player who cost barca £16 Million and has had a naff season..

nick_anarchy
12-08-2008, 11:14 AM

Hes not as quick as what he use to be either, so i dont think he would have the same impact plus theres a saying "never go back".

Why would fergie pay £20 Million for a player who cost barca £16 Million and has had a naff season..

spot on ...

its all a load of bollox ... fergie said when arsenal sold him that he was past his best ... no way wou;d we buy a 31 year old for that much !!!

its a smoke screan for 1 of 2 players and im sure we will see who in the next week

Insomnia
12-08-2008, 11:38 AM
They're on about launching a bid for Valencia winger David Silva.

United are ready to offer £18 million for the Spain international, who is among the lowest paid players at Valencia, despite his Euro2008 heroics.

Numeric
12-08-2008, 11:41 AM

:lol: what Henry's said in the past means nothing, as history has shown, he is not exactly a man of his word

he's still quick enough to score goals in the Premiership

Henry was played out of position at Barca and used sparingly, he didn't get a good run in the starting line-up, so to judge him on his record last season is unfair

the rumours of United are probably bullshit, but it could happen, and would be ace if it did

Numeric
12-08-2008, 12:10 PM
They're on about launching a bid for Valencia winger David Silva.

United are ready to offer £18 million for the Spain international, who is among the lowest paid players at Valencia, despite his Euro2008 heroics.

wouldn't mind if we got him

djfase
12-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Silva has already said he will not leave spain.

He will only play for barca if he left valencia, so that rules him out.

Word is berba deal is almost done

Spacehopper
12-08-2008, 07:28 PM
berbatov would be a good signing.....hes worth no more than 20 million tho

DJ RE:HAB
13-08-2008, 09:09 AM

Aye, £28 Million is being qouted. Way too much when you think you could get robinho for the near enough the same amount of money.

Strange decision by fergie, hes a good striker yes. But with Rooney, Ronaldo and now berbatov all known for there on and off field sulks Old Toilet could be heading for meltdown if these throw a strop all @ the same time..

Numeric
13-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Aye, £28 Million is being qouted. Way too much when you think you could get robinho for the near enough the same amount of money.

Strange decision by fergie, hes a good striker yes. But with Rooney, Ronaldo and now berbatov all known for there on and off field sulks Old Toilet could be heading for meltdown if these throw a strop all @ the same time..

:lol: you do make me laugh

Sir will be able to handle them, don't you worry, he's a much better man manager than the likes of Wenger and Benitez, you're just bitter because you got Spurs' number two striker and it looks as though we're gonna get their number one :)

and as for Robinho, he's a completely different player to Berbatov, i'd rather have Berbatov personally, regardless of doe, if United win the league then he'll be worth every penny

fatcollective
13-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Berbatov will be perfect at united, Fergie will bring the best out of any player, Berb was only arsey at spurs because they are shit!

lukekendall
13-08-2008, 11:55 AM

hes worth more than that mate! 30 mill more like! he has the best touch in the prem! he could be more of a legend than cantona if he goes to you on the big stage! hes better than rooney and the cave man you already have up front!

dan the acid man
13-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Not bothered who he signs for, but it would be good to see him back in the premiership

Will
14-08-2008, 05:19 PM
I'd certainly hope Henry wouldn't go to Man U, I don't think he would, Newcastle would be acceptable! Fergie won't be able to play all 3 and Ronaldo at once effectively if he signs Berba, who's good, but lacks pace... I doubt he'd score much if any more than he does at Spurs.

278d7e64a374de26f==