PDA

View Full Version : LapTop being a Gimp, Halp plz.

DannyBlack
13-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Got a laptop, it is a gimp. It hates me and wants to kill me to death. When she is in the normal laptop position she freezes, all operations cease and the CPU usage goes through the roof. However, when I tilt her up to a 45 degree angle, she goes back to normal. Any ideas lads? Is the hard drive f*cked, or is there some software patch etc I can download?

d3v
14-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Not sure about the high cpu but having to tilt the laptop is usually down to loose/bad connections inside - keyboard or touch pad disconnects so looks like its frozen - and tilting helps the connection.

Try just tilting the screen, if not you may have to open the sucker up and check connections - get someone else to do that if you not sure

dan the acid man
14-08-2008, 05:02 PM
does it ever turn itself off?

rhythmtech
14-08-2008, 05:47 PM
if its tilting the sreen it could be your inverter? is your screen just black until you tilt it?

replacing the inverter is a piece of piss and will cost you about 40 yoyos..

loadsa os step by step walk thrus online.

DannyBlack
14-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Nah, the screen is fine. I opened her up last night. My hard drive has suffered the dreaded Head crash. It will read when I tilt her at a 45 degree angle, but normal, ashe just can't read the HD. I am buying a new lappy next weekend anyway so its all good. :-)

rhythmtech
15-08-2008, 12:11 AM
better off buying a desktp for production.. much mure robust and esier to sort problems.

for instance, ive recenrlt installed a new internal drive, upgraded ram to 3 gig and added new power supply, fan and heat sink. try that on a lappy and you'll end up crying!!!

DannyBlack
16-08-2008, 08:21 AM
better off buying a desktp for production.. much mure robust and esier to sort problems.

for instance, ive recenrlt installed a new internal drive, upgraded ram to 3 gig and added new power supply, fan and heat sink. try that on a lappy and you'll end up crying!!!

The long term plan is to get a Desk top made up. I got my mate to price all the parts for a music production desk, about €1000.
I'm getting a new laptop next weekend, so I can make on the move you know.

278d7e64a374de26f==