PDA

View Full Version : Fusing the kick with the bassline

danielmarshall
17-08-2008, 04:13 AM
Hello all.

Allot of minimal stuff by Samuel L Session* the kick seems to blend in completely with the bassline to form one smooth continuous sine wave modulation.

* - there's no "s" in his name huh? I can never remember :P

I've decided to try do this myself, but I always find modulating a plain sine in Absynth never really gets that thump (no crack). When overlay a clicky sound it kinda sounds too stressed, and not nearly as smooth as SLS's stuff. It's REEEALY HARD to do this right apparently! I suppose putting some really heavy compression on the sub frequencies and almost none on the mid-uppers may help, but I'm away from my production machine now, so I'll have to experiment tommorow. Dunno? How do you guys recommend approaching this sorta track?

Been a while. by the way... I just realised how much I miss this place! Guess I'll be posting again soon. First night out for 8 months (SERIOUSLY) is what made the difference! God I needed that dance!

Cheers,

Dan

RDR
17-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Can you post up a brief example of this daniel or link to a tune which features it so we can hear what you mean?

BloodStar
17-08-2008, 12:18 PM
would be better to post example of what you mean.

generally, eqing them so they both sitting well together + adding some nice compression and maybe sidechain could do the trick...

Jay Pace
18-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Sometimes the attack and punch of the kick is matched to the attack and punch of the deep bass.

So you get the effect of two kicks - the kick from the drum, and the kick from the sub.

Not sure if thats what you meant, but its a technique that gets used a lot - matching the characteristics of bass synth to match the kicks. Not too difficult to do either...

loopdon
19-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Sometimes the attack and punch of the kick is matched to the attack and punch of the deep bass.

So you get the effect of two kicks - the kick from the drum, and the kick from the sub.

Not sure if thats what you meant, but its a technique that gets used a lot - matching the characteristics of bass synth to match the kicks. Not too difficult to do either...

This should work even better if both the drums and the bass stem from synthesizers where the adsr settings can be freely adjusted.

Another idea might be to ''vocode' a kick over a bassline. And yet another might be to use a kickdrum sample as an I(mpulse)R(esponse) in a convolution reverb and use that over the bassline.

The_Laughing_Man
20-08-2008, 11:39 AM
To put it simply, it`s all about compression.
In the case of SL Sessions anyway.
Pounding grooves used to do this a lot too.

stjohn
20-08-2008, 11:24 PM
ive started doing this recently... and it seems to really bring the power out in kicks,

NOT eq'ing.
or minimal eqing. for ages and ages, ive been over eqing everything, and its only now that i believe that without going mad with it, u can really get big drums.

maybe a teeny bit of eq to tuck your bassline under. so thats what ive been up to :)

DJSmithy
15-09-2008, 08:53 PM
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Mixing_and_Mastering:Bass_mixdown

Heres a good tutorial from Eufex

DannyBlack
15-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Hello all.

Allot of minimal stuff by Samuel L Session* the kick seems to blend in completely with the bassline to form one smooth continuous sine wave modulation.

* - there's no "s" in his name huh? I can never remember :P

I've decided to try do this myself, but I always find modulating a plain sine in Absynth never really gets that thump (no crack). When overlay a clicky sound it kinda sounds too stressed, and not nearly as smooth as SLS's stuff. It's REEEALY HARD to do this right apparently! I suppose putting some really heavy compression on the sub frequencies and almost none on the mid-uppers may help, but I'm away from my production machine now, so I'll have to experiment tommorow. Dunno? How do you guys recommend approaching this sorta track?

Been a while. by the way... I just realised how much I miss this place! Guess I'll be posting again soon. First night out for 8 months (SERIOUSLY) is what made the difference! God I needed that dance!

Cheers,

Dan

best way to do it is to use AudioGlue. Bonds even the toughest of Audio surfaces.

www.audioglue.com

Synesthetic State
28-09-2008, 01:17 PM
You can also sidechain a dynamic eq on the b-line with the kick. Find out where the kick is hitting, and then notch it out of the b-line using the kick as the trigger.

Kendall Station
22-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Its always possible that the kick *is* the bassline lol

j_s
02-11-2008, 01:15 PM
yeah ive always found the best way to make kick n bass smack is to compress the **** out of a long 808 kick. it doesnt have much upper bass/mid punch but for pure weight at proper volumes you cant beat it, you certainly dont need a bassline to beef it up.

another thing i do a lot is to put a steep LP over a kick and have it follow an envelope with a v quick decay, this brings the frequency content of the kick down to meet the bass n the both seem to gel a lot tighter.

278d7e64a374de26f==