PDA

View Full Version : work and reality Vs Production and studio time

bayley
18-08-2008, 08:39 PM
this is an ongoing battle for me. the battle between holding down a job and bringing in decent enough money and the addictive urge to get in the studio and get busy.. ive been writing for a few years now and consider myself to be improving steadily. however i have a fiancee that i love very much and love to spend time with, and i am saving to get a mortgage in the near future. i work for Royal Mail, and my hours are 6am to 12 or 1pm 6 days a week. i get a week off every 5 weeks due to the 6 day week. The plan was to get straight to work with my Productions straight after work and get 4 or 5 hours done before the bird gets home, but in reality its not something that can be turned on like a light after a shitty day at work walking for miles in the pissing rain etc!!! I used to get so much done when i was working part time and i could also have a smoke and get lost in a synthesis haze for hours on end making sound fx, pads etc, but now if i do that then i pay through the ass the following morning at 5am!! i dont have any false hopes of making a healthy living from my music but the fact that i cant seem to fit it into my life (as much as i would like) is really getting me down. i never feel more content than when i am making music, and would love to b able to squeeze more time in.. perhaps i just need to train myself into pushing through the tiredness after work and get on with it!

does anyone else have similar issues? i would love to hear about it... if nothing else, but to make me feel better !!!

anyway, im wasting precious time here... im gonna fire up logic before its too late!!!

Siege
18-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Same here mate....your not alone.
Not enough hours in the day......just gotta do the most you can in the time you got...........ive got a Mrs and 2 kids, so have probably less time than yourself?
Saying that, when im not at work im usually 90% of the time in the studio.....what i usually do is hammer it at weekends, unless im djing.

MARK ANXIOUS
21-08-2008, 12:37 AM
it sounds funny but i have similar issue, just in a different way.

luckily my job is music. predominantly djing. i am so damn lucky.

but when it comes to production, it's a real nightmare to get in that studio. once you've had a full weekend djing, music music music, it's like.. 'right, i need to sort my regualr life shit out'. everything else takes over. bills, sorting djing stuff out, whatever... it's really difficult to find the time to actually get in and do what you love the most - MAKING MUSIC IN THE STUDIO!!

the way i see it is you need a schedule. a timetable. and you need to stick to it. it's called time management and it sounds boring and acedemic, and it is, BUT it gets you in the studio, it'll give you time for the missus and it'll make you feel much more in control of what you do. and happier.

plan your week and stick to it. i'm shit at it but i do have a regualr plan that i try (but never really) keep to. otherwise you just dont get shit done.

buy some books on the subject if you can mate. time management. it'll be well worth it i promise.

beep
27-08-2008, 12:39 AM
Same here mate....your not alone.
Not enough hours in the day......just gotta do the most you can in the time you got...........ive got a Mrs and 2 kids, so have probably less time than yourself?

Yeah, factor in a kid to the equation and you have even less time... and need to think about noise even when they are in bed.

If I actually get into working on a track, it's generally at the expense of the lion's share of a night's sleep. Always pay for it at work the next day too :( I just wish i could get by without sleep tbh.. I'd have more time to spend doing stuff I want / need to do.

Siege
27-08-2008, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=beep;652821]Yeah, factor in a kid to the equation and you have even less time... and need to think about noise even when they are in bed.

Joy of headphones;)

DannyBlack
27-08-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm actually glad I don't have nippers. No intention of either. All I need to do now is save my pennies very hard to buy new PC's and the makings of proper monitor speakers.

278d7e64a374de26f==