PDA

View Full Version : Audio Enhancers

Tyrisia
22-01-2003, 05:33 PM
Hi all - n Happy New Year!

I use a Behringer Ultrafex Pro to add bass and enhance, but I read somewhere that I shouldn't bother as this should be done at mastering with better equiptment in a proper studio. What's everyone's views on this? I've only just started to get to the point where lookin at gettin a tune mastered looks like an option - I'm pretty new to all this...

JACKSTAR
23-01-2003, 02:28 AM
Lower end Audio enhancers are tricky one really, I had a Aphex Type C enhancer which was meant to add some bottom end and help cut through some tricky top end but really it just messed up the whole sound. Like you say when you have your tracks mastered the engineer has stack loads of high end EQ / Compressors which unless you've got the cash and engineering knowledge your never gonna get it to sound as good. I would rather get another compressor as you can never have too many compressors (I have 8). Even a cheap compressor with a kick going through it will improve your finished product loads.

P.

www.paullangley.net

www.jackstar-recordings.com

SubNet
23-01-2003, 03:20 AM
Hi all - n Happy New Year!

I use a Behringer Ultrafex Pro to add bass and enhance, but I read somewhere that I shouldn't bother as this should be done at mastering with better equiptment in a proper studio. What's everyone's views on this? I've only just started to get to the point where lookin at gettin a tune mastered looks like an option - I'm pretty new to all this...

this would be cool to run instruments through like kiks and bass for low end enhancement .

Tyrisia
23-01-2003, 10:33 AM
Yeah - I do have a few compressors that I run the kik, clap and bass through, but comparing my own tracks to properly mastered stuff on the same monitors, there isn't that much difference, and trust me, I'm very self critical. As Subnet said, it does sound cool on kik and bass, if not overused :)

DJZeMig_L
23-01-2003, 01:39 PM
This sort of processors r just like Paul said a bit tricky, U really need 2 know what u R doing... I think I would rather concentrate on getting good levels, panning, eq, efx, dynamic proc & and a livelly mix... in the end if u really nail that ... u won't need much enhacing!!

As to the mastering I really think most mastering houses r just bollocks... but If u have a good 1 like The Exchange (With Nils) It's amazing sound garanteed....

recently I came across a cut from The Advent on a label that didn't have proper mastering and the sound was really poor :(, I know cisco does a brill job with his production master .. so !!
If u look @ all tha big names records they all master with Nils!!!
Z

Tyrisia
23-01-2003, 06:26 PM
Do u have a link for The Exchange? How much does it cost for a three track EP?

lunatrick
24-01-2003, 08:05 PM
you have to be careful how you use these - unless you have very good monitoring which includes sub bass , it's best to avoid them I reckon. that way you're not going to end up having a woolly bass heavy final product.

I'm not too experienced in this area - but presumably you could attend the mastering session anyway - so if you need more bass you could ask for it?

DJZeMig_L
27-01-2003, 01:31 AM
I don't have a link but I know they r somehow connected 2 Prime distrib. in the UK!

If u can't find it let me know and I'll ask some friends taht I'm sure have the contact... but bare in mind this guy has a waiting list!!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==