PDA

View Full Version : Couture Returns to UFC

drift9
03-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Randy Couture and the UFC reached an agreement and it looks like he signed a three fight contract. His first fight on coming back? Brock Lesnar on Nov 15. Ouch. I love Randy and all, but I really don't see this ending too well for him. But how many times have I said that before about the man? So I guess he does have a chance against the inexperienced Lesnar.

When all's said and done, I'm very happy Randy and the UFC have settled their differences. Guy's a legend and would have hated to see him go out under lawsuits and other BS.

Also really looking forward to this fight. Probably the UFC's biggest fight announcement ever.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AuhDBqnT0kP9_AU8wCgpDY05nYcB?slug=ki-couture090208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Also worth noting in this article is Lesnar's obvious respect for Fedor.

eppertheleper
03-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Go Randy!

Here are some great pics of him when he was a three-time All-American in wrestling at my alma mater:

http://members.cox.net/casdas1/RandyCouture.jpg
http://members.cox.net/casdas1/RandyCouture2.jpg

Gotta love that mullet. I don't think he stands much of a chance against Lesnar, but I'll be yelling my lungs out anyway.

Siege
03-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Look forward to that one......Lesnars a beast but i reckon Couture will beat him.....have to see?

drift9
03-09-2008, 08:45 PM
yeah, this fight couldn't come soon enough.

as to who will win, i just can't help that thinking no matter how much more skilled and experienced Randy is, the guy is 45 and hasn't fought in a couple of years. on top of that he's breaking that fightless stretch and fighting a guy who is barely human. i think at this point in Randy's career Lesnar is just going to be too strong and fast for him.

djfase
04-09-2008, 09:38 AM
As good as couture is,i cant see him beating lesnar. Even though lesnar is a novice and new to the sport.

We see in lesnars last fight that the guy is just so big and quick, he can dominate anyone. He did with mir ( an ex UFC champ) until his lapse, and he did with the crazy horse.

Time for couture to retire gracefully

basslinejunkie
04-09-2008, 11:15 AM
i think couture would do him to be honest,all that expirence will work in his favour against a man who lacks serious skill and is essetionaly a big lump.

personally i would much rather fight a big beast than a little nippy fighter.

drift9
04-09-2008, 03:15 PM
a man who lacks serious skill and is essetionaly a big lump.
that's sort of the problem. the guy has one of the best greco-roman wrestling backgrounds in UFC. And he's no lump--probably the fastest and most athletic guy of that size in the whole sport. True he lacks submission skills, but man, dude's just a freak of a specimen. Love Randy and all that, but don't think his chances are so hot here. And he's 45. But again, Randy has proven me wrong many times before.

Siege
07-09-2008, 06:20 AM
just seen the liddell, evans fight.........chuck got 1 timed, absolute pearler of a punch!

eppertheleper
07-09-2008, 08:12 AM
I missed the fights tonight (was at the OSU home opener), but I'm really getting excited to see if Randy can handle him. The way that Lesnar dominated Herring on the ground simply won't be possible with Randy. If you've watched much collegiate wrestling, you'll recognize that the way Lesnar controlled Heath on the ground was a pure example of those skills with strikes and knees thrown in.

Now, Lesnar has the NCAA championship over Randy in that arena (Randy was a two-time runner up), but after college Randy went to the Olympics whereas Brock went to the WWF. Slight advantage Randy. Couture will know what to do and do it well when Lesnar charges him and it will be very hard for Brock to rack up "riding time" on Randy.

What I see this coming down to is two things. Can Brock get lucky and land a finishing blow OR has Brock trained enough to avoid making stupid mistakes on the ground. If he can pull off either of those feats, then he'll probably win. However, if he can't get lucky or avoid making rookie mistakes, I give Randy a good shot at taking down the behemoth. I'm getting more optimistic the more I consider this fight, but that could easily be my orange colored glasses (Mine and Randy's school color).

Come on, Captain America! One more miracle!

djfase
07-09-2008, 09:04 AM
I can see where you are coming from fella, but.................

Randy has been quiet for a very long time, and lesnar is a monster. he strength, power and speed of the guy will be just too much for someone who in reality is ring rusty.

It will be something else if couture wins, and if he does it wont take much from lesnar as hes a newbie and couture a legend.

However, lesnar will probaby get a title shot within a year if he wins as that is what the ufc fans wanna see

drift9
07-09-2008, 09:32 PM
just seen the liddell, evans fight.........chuck got 1 timed, absolute pearler of a punch!
yeah, that was NASTY! seems the Chuck era is coming to its conclusion.

278d7e64a374de26f==