PDA

View Full Version : Are desktop macs any good at running Windows?

MARK ANXIOUS
03-09-2008, 05:45 PM
I think the time is coming to upgrade the studio PC. thing is I also have a mac laptop for making music on the move. Thought it might be a nice idea to get a desktop mac for the studio instead and run Windows on it, as well as OSX.

has anyone had any experience of this? interested to know how smoothly it all runs...

RDR
03-09-2008, 06:30 PM
A friend has one, no problems at all with it... there isnt a difference between that and the macbook. OSX is OSX.

rhythmtech
03-09-2008, 06:58 PM
from what ive heard intel macs actually run windows more stable than pc.

stjohn
03-09-2008, 07:14 PM
dualboot with both os's running at the same time.. is sexy!!

start button, and the mac app menu..

:yup:

Elvio Neto
06-09-2008, 10:41 AM

+1

more stable and 3x faster

RDR
06-09-2008, 12:46 PM
+1

Sorry, i dont agree. 3x faster is just silly.

I have a dell 2.66 p4 under XP home and it wails on my macbook XP performance.

but its is VERY stable. no BSOD at all!!!!!!

DannyBlack
06-09-2008, 06:55 PM

:lol: wouldn't take much though.

On the back of this, anyone know where I can get a virtual drive for a maccy lappy?

TechMouse
06-09-2008, 10:25 PM
+1

I find that very hard to believe.

If you built a PC using the exact same components that go into a Mac (because that's the only difference between a Mac and a PC now, the person who makes the machine) then I can't quite understand how Windows would be more stable and run 3X faster on the Mac - it doesn't make sense.

RDR
06-09-2008, 11:00 PM
There is something to the stability factor though, speed is not an issue anyway there are plenty of PCs which are VERY fast compared to a mac.

But the stability counts. When running XP under bootcamp there is a memory resident program which deals with mac stuff.

The actual hardware used in macbooks in particular is pretty substandard sounding stuff, no-mark components, which is one of the main gripes with a lot of mac users.

However.....

The code which runs these components is (in my experience as a user) pretty stable.

anyway - the thread is about running windows on a mac - it works VERY well, as TM says - its a windows box. nothing more nothing less.

funnily enough - i love windows XP, its by far the best OS M$ ever made and ive used it live plenty of times without incident. Its unfair to dis M$ over XP, i know how to keep all my OS's working well, and thats what counts, understanding. If you do enough research and can keep the shizzle functioning then your OS will be your best friend.

the_VOICE
13-09-2008, 03:39 PM
i have a mc there a joke dont waste ya time on them :angry:

Izz
13-09-2008, 04:38 PM

Why not? I'm a PC/LTPC user but I'm interested to know why macs are shit...

RDR
14-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Why not? I'm a PC/LTPC user but I'm interested to know why macs are shit...

Its the age old Mac Vs PC argument....

There is an internet filled with hatorade/fanboi's out there directed towards both camps.

But when you can run both operating systems on the same machine, at the same TIME it doesnt matter anymore.

Why do i like macs? Stuff just works.. the workflow is really fast, the preview ability, dragging and dropping, expose, in particular, coreMIDI and COREaudio and device aggregation are the muts nuts for audio.. you dont actually NEED an ASIO soundcard or ASIO drivers as the way OSX deals with audio/midi is very very quick and reliable. just plug in a MIDI keyboard, dont bother installing drivers and away you go... want to plug in a MIDI k/b halfway through a session? no problems, no sequencer restart needed... thats what sets OSX apart for audiowork.

Why do i like PCs? - cheap, fast, endless software for free out there, XP when configured right is very reliable.

whatever floats ya boat!

RDR
14-09-2008, 08:00 AM

why?

TechMouse
14-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Why do i like macs? Stuff just works.. the workflow is really fast, the preview ability, dragging and dropping, expose, in particular, coreMIDI and COREaudio and device aggregation are the muts nuts for audio.. you dont actually NEED an ASIO soundcard or ASIO drivers as the way OSX deals with audio/midi is very very quick and reliable. just plug in a MIDI keyboard, dont bother installing drivers and away you go... want to plug in a MIDI k/b halfway through a session? no problems, no sequencer restart needed... thats what sets OSX apart for audiowork.

Why do i like PCs? - cheap, fast, endless software for free out there, XP when configured right is very reliable.
Nail 'pon de head.

Both have their strengths, many have a preference, the reality is there are no right answers.

acos1
18-09-2008, 11:23 PM
wheres the best place to buy macs online?

RDR
19-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Direct from apple.

other retailelrs mark them up... no point really.

also if you are currently in education as a student then use their education store and you SHOULD get the uplift to 3yr applecare for free. Apple care in my excperiences in the UK has been second to none, fast turnarounds, quality workmanship and never a quible.

278d7e64a374de26f==