PDA

View Full Version : interesting hawtin video

lunatrick
09-09-2008, 07:31 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6n4cy_richie-hawtin-traktor-setup_music

it sounds really cool.....but can't help thinking that 4 decks of boring loops is still not as good as one banging track.....Obviously he finds it interesting but not sure I would in the crowd.

what you reckon?

BDC
09-09-2008, 10:19 PM
correct me if I'm wrong here but does it look like Ritchie's tryin to get his weight up at the gym or somethin? He was always kinda wire-y...no? lol...

It was a matter of time before he went 100% Dig.....

I did it 2 years ago....**** the hater's....It makes mixing fun for me again...

drift9
10-09-2008, 12:30 AM
correct me if I'm wrong here but does it look like Ritchie's tryin to get his weight up at the gym or somethin?
Ha! yeah. noticed that too. Maybe Richie will get huge and start dropping some tough as nails sets like he used to years ago.

really interesting vid though. good post.

davethedrummer
11-09-2008, 01:21 PM

it sounds really cool.....but can't help thinking that 4 decks of boring loops is still not as good as one banging track.....Obviously he finds it interesting but not sure I would in the crowd.

what you reckon?

i reckon one of his knobs has fallen off !

2nd row last on the left ( hawtins left )

davethedrummer
11-09-2008, 01:26 PM
did you notice that theres a load of other videos up there about tractors?

dan the acid man
12-09-2008, 12:19 AM
did you notice that theres a load of other videos up there about tractors?

You can't beat a decent bit of ploughing

teknofilth
13-09-2008, 01:33 AM

what you reckon?

At production stage 1 banging track does consist of loops though, whether they are boring is up to the producer..
..imo it is the future..2 turntables are in effect 2 channels..and just 2 channels on a sequencer's output would be boring..yes the tracks on the 2 turntables consist of lots of layers but still..maybe to the djs/musicians it is not the way to go but for people who just want to dance/get off their tits etc - sound is sound..if it makes them shake their ass then for them who cares how it gets out of the speakers..
..aside from the fact that itchy snortin gets ££ to plug all this software i think that techno in particular,a music all about technology should embrace this stuff..always find it funny how london has been slow to incorporate technology at parties, whether it be through installing cd decks or even using VJs..
..but from a punter's view, if all i see is a "dj" up there on his/her laptop doing what seems to me checking his/her emails..well yes i would find it boring and be tempted to try and hack into their laptop to see what in fact they are really up to..

davethedrummer
13-09-2008, 08:14 PM
well i think all live music is about a level of skill
and the people watching can relate to how good you are when they have something to go on visually as well as musically.
ie: watching someone scratch records well is a lot of fun because you can appreciate how hard it is to do.

with a laptop, the screen is facing the user and creating a barrier between him and the dancefloor at the same time.
also the screen covers any clever stuff he may be doing with his hands
( wanking for example )
so as a live thing for me it doesn't work, it doesn't give you anything to go on in the audience , and the perfect beatmatching can a get a little boring too
i like the odd mistake here and there.
and i like to feel the tension of a dj keeping a mix together.

it's like the difference between playing football and playing playstation.

my ten cents

...Dave...
13-09-2008, 08:36 PM
but i bet Richie isn't sat home posting on forums on a Saturday night:wink:

BDC
13-09-2008, 09:52 PM
well i think all live music is about a level of skill
and the people watching can relate to how good you are when they have something to go on visually as well as musically.
ie: watching someone scratch records well is a lot of fun because you can appreciate how hard it is to do.

with a laptop, the screen is facing the user and creating a barrier between him and the dancefloor at the same time.
also the screen covers any clever stuff he may be doing with his hands
( wanking for example )
so as a live thing for me it doesn't work, it doesn't give you anything to go on in the audience , and the perfect beatmatching can a get a little boring too

it's like the difference between playing football and playing playstation.

my ten cents

werd... Traktor is not like having 2 or 4 decks so the margin for error is far less however...traktor is not completely forgiving in performance...if you have a good midi interface...xone 3d or Vestax vci100 (which I love)...you wont find yourself consumed with the laptop screen...but its their beat counter (which is far from accurate) which often mis matches tempos slightly so you have to pay attention to what your doing...or else trainwrecks are VERY Possible...(which in a way helps the performance....as ironic as that sounds)...**** ups even minor ones are frequent, and the amount of manipulation you can do with it is LETHAL.... period...

Now I'm a wax man through and through, went from wax to Final Scratch then eventually dropped the decks altogether....and actually have NEVER touched a CDJ in my life....I like my tools...my interface where I know my eq's my effects...and my old powerbook that I've been using for few years now...."turn the lights down, crack open the door to the dj booth, spark the Blunt, and let "god" in.." as Jay-Z would say.....

To me, its all about how I as a dj can deliver the music in a way that lets me create and perform on the fly instead of being some jukebox DJ. Its made Djing fun for me again, as I was actually tired of the shitty decks and ****ed up mixers at events.... god helps those who help themselves...as Grandma DeCarlo would say (rest her soul).....so I don't mind the extra set up and take down anymore either... :)

wrong
14-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Boo.
i don't like it... as far as i can make out.. the mixing is all done for him and all he's doing now is masturbating over the top... .. Its gross overuse of the pioneer effects function multiplied by 100.
although i concede that in the right place at the right time it would sound wicked, i worry (well, i'm not actually that worried) that as he has nothing else to do; he's just gonna be tugging his knobs constantly during his sets in an attempt to keep himself amused, possibley at the expense of his adoring fans... who'd love it anyway.. so forget this post.
thankyou.

markandrew
14-09-2008, 11:49 PM
it will always boil down to the mixing is done for you even if you have mixed records for years an can beat match :smile:

clubsynthetic
15-09-2008, 02:23 AM
if hes got that much control why not just play live?

davethedrummer
16-09-2008, 11:51 AM
but i bet Richie isn't sat home posting on forums on a Saturday night:wink:

how do you know i'm at home ?

stjohn
16-09-2008, 11:59 AM
beat matching is fun, but its not very hard. you can pretend its hard with really energetic activity and loads of hollywood sh*t, but in the end, all it does is waste time and effort, that, in the right hands could allow for alot more input, dynamics and thought in a set. hawtin is slightly passed it of course, but the odd time i do get to see him, he always kills it. he's a great DJ, and has a knack for slow, energetic and chunky chugging sets.

if hes got that much control why not just play live?

i dont see why having control means he shoud play live? theres few djs that mix like this, and he pretty much pionereed it with his one-off controllers and stuff...

clubsynthetic
16-09-2008, 12:03 PM
i mean he could just stick a cd on and beat repeat it and get the same sound. I fhe has that many knobs and sliders etc why not make them control something more dynamic like a synthesizer?

DannyBlack
16-09-2008, 12:09 PM

+100

Couldn't agree more.

stjohn
16-09-2008, 12:09 PM
yea thats true. i suppose he is Djing, and wants to keep to that tradition. admittedly, that stutter-y effect.... I f'in love it, but with the 4 tracks, u wouldnt notice it like you would if you were just whacking on master fx on a pioneer. hawtin always has 2 or 3 tracks playing back and is slowly fading shit in and out. so stuff kinda blends and morphs depend on level, and loop and effect etc..

id be interested to see how he'd get on with an ableton set

...Dave...
16-09-2008, 07:15 PM

how do you know i meant you:wink:

:lol:

TechMouse
16-09-2008, 10:27 PM
You heard it here first folks... he looks like he's playing a Live PA, but now you know the truth.

DannyBlack
17-09-2008, 08:34 AM

acidpisar
17-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Did you notice that his logo on t-shirt is imitating Hydraulix logo cheer:

Technologic
17-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Where's the skill gone?

Computers are takling over the world. It's like Terminator, just a little more diplomatic.

For now anyway.

Maybe things will go full cycle. In years to come when technology has taken the skill out of doing anything, those people who can actally mix two records together using vinyl will be few and far between and be able to bring something different to the party.

Sometimes i wish evolution would just hurry the **** up, like now for eg.

Anyway got a time machine i could borrow?

You won't even know i used it ;)

DannyBlack
17-09-2008, 03:55 PM
you know what, ultimately it makes people move. Some poeple love it, some people hate it- thats the way life is- diverse.

drift9
17-09-2008, 06:49 PM
technology has taken the skill out of doing anything, those people who can actally mix two records together using vinyl will be few and far between

don't get me wrong, i usually prefer seeing actual vinyl being used, but Hawtin has proved since the early 90s that he can mix two records together. then he mixed three. then he added an efx unit. etc etc etc. This is the natural evolution for a guy like him. Could see how he'd want a change and a new challenge after all these years and years.

davethedrummer
17-09-2008, 07:15 PM
how do you know i meant you:wink:

now you're just messing with me right?

davethedrummer
17-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Where's the skill gone?

Maybe things will go full cycle. In years to come when technology has taken the skill out of doing anything, those people who can actually mix two records together using vinyl will be few and far between and be able to bring something different to the party.

that is of course assuming that there Is a future AT ALL

TechMouse
18-09-2008, 09:13 AM
In years to come when technology has taken the skill out of doing anything, those people who can actally mix two records together using vinyl will be few and far between
You know, people were saying very similar things during the industrial revolution.

DannyBlack
18-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Man Technics date back to the industrial revolution? Bloody 'ell thier old.

Technologic
18-09-2008, 02:46 PM
don't get me wrong, i usually prefer seeing actual vinyl being used, but Hawtin has proved since the early 90s that he can mix two records together. then he mixed three. then he added an efx unit. etc etc etc. This is the natural evolution for a guy like him. Could see how he'd want a change and a new challenge after all these years and years.

I meant in say, 200 years time, when robots rule the world and humans are nothing but party animals in the underground, syphoning sonic rhythms using the latest file sharing program for pirates, all whilst getting high on some uber designer chemical that warps our minds into obscurity and makes even the most unbarable noise sound like Patsy Kensits wet dream, which (might i add) is just effortlessly strung together using the most awesomest software, with just a click of a button everything is done for you, you don't even have to flick her bean to get her off it's THAT easy, also cosmetics and stuff are so good, Patsy Kensit would look young again, you'd just have to get past knowing she's like 240ish years old.

But anyway, enough of my imagination running a little wild, i agree, natural evolution makes things easier for us, who wanted a hard life anyway?

What's gonna be the next super hard thing that Ritchie does to absolutely amaze everyone and then make it like really easy so even a simpleton can make it sound great (without the uber designer chemical that warps our minds and, well, you know...

Technologic
18-09-2008, 02:48 PM
that is of course assuming that there Is a future AT ALL

Yes, and we all know what they sasy about assumptions don't we?

djshiva
19-09-2008, 07:32 AM
I meant in say, 200 years time, when robots rule the world and humans are nothing but party animals in the underground, syphoning sonic rhythms using the latest file sharing program for pirates, all whilst getting high on some uber designer chemical that warps our minds into obscurity and makes even the most unbarable noise sound like Patsy Kensits wet dream, which (might i add) is just effortlessly strung together using the most awesomest software, with just a click of a button everything is done for you, you don't even have to flick her bean to get her off it's THAT easy, also cosmetics and stuff are so good, Patsy Kensit would look young again, you'd just have to get past knowing she's like 240ish years old.

But anyway, enough of my imagination running a little wild, i agree, natural evolution makes things easier for us, who wanted a hard life anyway?

What's gonna be the next super hard thing that Ritchie does to absolutely amaze everyone and then make it like really easy so even a simpleton can make it sound great (without the uber designer chemical that warps our minds and, well, you know...

ROTFL.

DannyBlack
19-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Yes, and we all know what they sasy about assumptions don't we?

"If assumptions were sausages, hotdogs wouldn't nearly be as gratifying."

Technologic
19-09-2008, 04:42 PM
"If assumptions were sausages, hotdogs wouldn't nearly be as gratifying."

Personally I'd rather not be gratified by a hotdog, but if that's the way you roll i won't hold it against you ;)

JamieBall
20-09-2008, 08:08 PM

Ya see them bushes outside your front room... He's in them.

It's not the wind moving them, he's wanking. Constantly.

stjohn
26-09-2008, 03:58 AM
the odd time i do get to see him, he always kills it. he's a great DJ, and has a knack for slow, energetic and chunky chugging sets.

i retract that... saw him in Granada, SPain there last wkend... bloody shit. loopy boring bollox

DannyBlack
26-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Personally I'd rather not be gratified by a hotdog, but if that's the way you roll i won't hold it against you ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==