PDA

View Full Version : 1210's servicing

Frank Dogshit
09-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Anyone know of any good companys around the north of england to get a pair of 1210s serviced? Even a 1 man band type fella who services them?

Both need a bit of work on them. The pitch needs replacing by the looks of things and the motor on the other one will need sorting.

Any ideas on what the price would likely to be?

Cheers folks.

DannyBlack
09-09-2008, 08:26 PM
I replaced my mates Pitch control not so long ago. Very simple Job to do. It cost him around £35.00 for a new control. So if you have a steady hand I recommend that you try it yourself.

Whats up with the Motor on the other one mate?

Miss Saysay
09-09-2008, 09:40 PM
My fella replaced one of my pitchs himself and also serviced them both a couple of years ago , he bought a Manuel on ebay and followed instructions although im sure you could download one from the web. I wouldnt mind having the click on my pitchs removed actually, it does my nut in when it goes all wobbly round the zero. Grr!

Izz
10-09-2008, 07:50 AM
My fella replaced one of my pitchs himself and also serviced them both a couple of years ago , he bought a Manuel on ebay and followed instructions although im sure you could download one from the web. I wouldnt mind having the click on my pitchs removed actually, it does my nut in when it goes all wobbly round the zero. Grr!

Yeah mine are the same. Looks too hardcore an operation to try myself though.

DannyBlack
10-09-2008, 02:34 PM

There is a tiny little ball bearing in the pitch control housing. Get rid of this and no more clicky.

Miss Saysay
11-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah mine are the same. Looks too hardcore an operation to try myself though.

Lol yeah, im too scared to do it myself too incase i damage my decks :help:

There is a tiny little ball bearing in the pitch control housing. Get rid of this and no more clicky.

Aye , sounds so simple to remove too but its deffo a job for the other half ! :lol:

basslinejunkie
12-09-2008, 02:50 PM
i got both of mine serivced, cost me about £60 i think, i got a list of things they done but 1 was defo a full pitch replacement. just go into a local respected hi fi / audio center and they shoudl be able to send them off for you.

loopdon
13-09-2008, 06:26 AM

I have tried this before and would NOT advise anyone to do it. I think it might be a better idea to get ''ball-less' ones as for the mk3d (?) which don't have the click to start with. You have to register at the first site but it looks flash,

http://www.vinylengine.com/news/technics-sl-1200-+-sl-1210-mk2.shtml

http://www.backspin.org/sl1200mk2.pdf

Izz
05-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Just put a new pitch slider on my older 1200 mkII figuiring that would cure the worryingly large dead space in the quartz lock. Had it soldered by an electronics trade mate, the operation went like a breeze. Tried the new slider and its nice and solid again but the dead space is still the bloody same!? wtf?

Anyone any idea why this could be? My other "newer" 1200 has very little dead space. That was the result I was aiming for (obviously). Gonna have a look at this one inside to see if theres anything different about it (doubt it but ???).

Any advice welcome!

Barely Human
06-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Just put a new pitch slider on my older 1200 mkII figuiring that would cure the worryingly large dead space in the quartz lock. Had it soldered by an electronics trade mate, the operation went like a breeze. Tried the new slider and its nice and solid again but the dead space is still the bloody same!? wtf?

Anyone any idea why this could be? My other "newer" 1200 has very little dead space. That was the result I was aiming for (obviously). Gonna have a look at this one inside to see if theres anything different about it (doubt it but ???).

Any advice welcome!

What do you mean by dead space?

loopdon
06-11-2008, 05:54 PM

I reckon getting the faders without the balls (from the 3d version) should be a better idea. And yes - i have tried the balls removal :yup:

Izz
06-11-2008, 06:01 PM
What do you mean by dead space?

Space on the slider between the click and where any actual pitch adjustment takes place

eg it's about 0.4 +/- before the pitch changes slightly from zero on mine

Might have to try the quartz removal mod after all :(

Barely Human
06-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Space on the slider between the click and where any actual pitch adjustment takes place

eg it's about 0.4 +/- before the pitch changes slightly from zero on mine

Might have to try the quartz removal mod after all :(

Hvae you checked the speed calibration?

Izz
06-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Hvae you checked the speed calibration?

Been reading up on it via google and gonna have a play with it over the weekend.

I'll post my results. Thanks for replying, fella.

DannyBlack
06-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Take pics Izz. I'm dying to do a quartz removal. Wicked Hack.

Izz
09-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Ok, had a piss about with the pitch pot and couldn't get it sorted. Pain in the arse.
So time for the Q lock removal. After reading every page and tidbit google had to offer I settled upon this (http://www.vygo.net/sl1200/quartzhack.html) site which explained exactly what I was suffering and what I could do.

Absolute doddle to do:

Take platter and internal cover off, then unplug the group of wires on the right of the PCB

http://xs233.xs.to/xs233/08450/dsc08531161.jpg

Snip the orange wire and tape it up, leave a bit of length either side of the snip incase you want to put it back to normal. You can also snip the yellow wire to lose the LED but everyone likes LED's, right?

http://xs233.xs.to/xs233/08450/dsc08532b608.jpg

To take it even further and completely eliminate the quartz precision you need to make a snip on this resistor. But little point in owning technics if the precision isn't there imo.

http://xs233.xs.to/xs233/08450/dsc08533369.jpg

You would also need to get rid of the ball bearing in the pitch slider to make the slider completely smooth but bollocks to that. Knowing where dead center is (after tweaking the pitch pot and setting it up right) is useful if you want to rip some vinyl or just listen to some tracks.

All in all I'm happy now :)

DannyBlack
10-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Nice work matey! I haven't seen it done that way before at all. Sweet, gonna give this a try myself if someone will let me.

djfilthmonger
17-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Nice work matey! I haven't seen it done that way before at all. Sweet, gonna give this a try myself if someone will let me.

getting rid of the click is it?

DannyBlack
17-11-2008, 04:28 PM
No man, getting rid of the quartz lock and getting rid of true Zero. Removing the click is just popping out the ball bearing.

djfilthmonger
17-11-2008, 04:31 PM
what are the advantages?

Frank Dogshit
17-11-2008, 06:18 PM
how much cost/effort is it to get the motor fixed?

278d7e64a374de26f==