PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Mills on John Peel

Esox Lucius
07-01-2004, 01:36 PM
21st Jan

looking forward to this, his last peel mix was spot on, the one before was a bit dodgy though.

dan the acid man
07-01-2004, 02:07 PM
i heard the dodgy one, lets hope this one's better, cheers for the info downy

serox
07-01-2004, 02:44 PM
john peel? :roll:

am i being stupid...?radio or?

Esox Lucius
07-01-2004, 02:50 PM
yeah he has his own show on radio 1...you will be able to listen to it on the web.

www.bbc.co.uk/radio1

serox
07-01-2004, 03:02 PM
oh yeh i rem listenin a while back in a car. was on a saturday i think. was wackkkkkk

was worse in min techno i think.

redeeemed himself at the End few months back tho spinning 3 wheels most the night. :clap:

Numeric
07-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Lookin forward to that...

Mills is still the don...

:cool:

g
20-01-2004, 11:59 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/alt/johnpeel/thisweek/thisweek.shtml#sess2

"This is a repeat of Jeff's live Maida Vale session from last year."

duncandisorderly
24-01-2004, 01:28 PM
tuned in to peely the other night to hear some minimal techno playing. who can this be? i thought to myself. two shoddy clashing mixes later confirmed that it was jeff mills. thank god i only caught the end of the show and heard two or three mixes.

the man can mix. dont get me wrong. but when he stinks. he STINKS.

Buttman
24-01-2004, 02:50 PM
i heard the dodgy one

(TM) Jeff Mills.

Esox Lucius
24-01-2004, 02:56 PM
tuned in to peely the other night to hear some minimal techno playing. who can this be? i thought to myself. two shoddy clashing mixes later confirmed that it was jeff mills. thank god i only caught the end of the show and heard two or three mixes.

the man can mix. dont get me wrong. but when he stinks. he STINKS.

spot on dunc, the man is a legend, but he can pull out some right shoddy mixes :lol:

the mix on peel the other night was a repeat of last years show, the first part was a bit dodgy, but the last 20 mins of so was excellent with all the classics (including goodlife, waits to be shot down by someone) :lol: ;)

gumpy green
24-01-2004, 03:04 PM
Lookin forward to that...

Mills is still the don...

:cool:

Na man sekonz is ....... :lol: hes got the eye of the tiger.......

Sunil
24-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Mills has lost his way, i hate to say it. His recent records are further proof of this too. Sure there will be the odd good thing or a track that I'll play but for the most part he's completely lacking the edge he had, both in his productions and DJ sets. Mills is milking the techno market with records that wouldn't shift at all if they were by Mark Williams or Samuel L.Sessions, the whole Jeff Mills thing has gone too full circle and the quality of his music has suffered as a result - give people what they've heard already basically as we know they like the sound of it... Mills might as well be Ferry Corsten or Tiesto replicating their last hands in the air euphoric number...

miles
24-01-2004, 06:49 PM
Mills has lost his way, i hate to say it. His recent records are further proof of this too. Sure there will be the odd good thing or a track that I'll play but for the most part he's completely lacking the edge he had, both in his productions and DJ sets. Mills is milking the techno market with records that wouldn't shift at all if they were by Mark Williams or Samuel L.Sessions, the whole Jeff Mills thing has gone too full circle and the quality of his music has suffered as a result - give people what they've heard already basically as we know they like the sound of it... Mills might as well be Ferry Corsten or Tiesto replicating their last hands in the air euphoric number...

Fine comment!!! totally agree

Sam_Horam
24-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Totally disagree with that, Sunil.

The guy is simply doing what he wants. I agree that he doesn't have the old magic and that what he was writing years ago was groundbreaking and now it isn't. But, he certainly isn't milking it - otherwise he'd be churning out dancefloor anthems. Instead he's writing stuff that's far more varied (and in downtempo) than he used to.

I think he's become self-indulgent and his eye's not on the ball like it used to be (both Djing and production wise). But come on, if that can happen to such a legend then it can happen to anyone. Who do you think that is cutting edge now will still be cutting edge in ten years?

Sam_Horam
24-01-2004, 07:12 PM
I guess what I'm saying is that whilst I agree that he may have 'lost it' I don't think he's milking it and I don't think that you can criticise him for the way he's gone.

It's just what happens to everyone eventually and he's certainly lasted longer and burned brighter than just about anyone.

el_satan666
24-01-2004, 10:18 PM
no doubt he's burned long and hard, but id agree with sunil on this, he has "burned" out. Props for everything he's done in the past, but I know that when he plays over here, he plays to crowds that are there solely for the drugs, and wouldn't know what techno was if you smacked them in the face with it.

(He did do a mix on Radio-FG 26/09/03 which was rather refreshing, not techno.)

slavestudios
25-01-2004, 04:25 PM
i know he helped invent/pioneer loop techno, but that set was awful...

sorry Jeff, but it was just terrible.

i dont know how he continues to get bookings. it just shows what ppl are willing to let slide on the basis of past success. his production hasnt moved an inch & his djing is so sloppy. sorry, but u cant tell me its not a bad set. he may well 'have been on fire at...' or was' bangin it right out at...' but at that level & with those dj fees there is NO WAY he can be excused for playing like that at any point in any set in any club.

we all have a bad day in the booth once in a while, but we dont go around asking for thousands of pounds to do it...

The Alarms still rox :dance:

slavestudios
25-01-2004, 04:26 PM
i'm not trying to be 'hip' or 'start shit'

i'm just givin an opinion & my reasoning behind it.

peace

Esox Lucius
25-01-2004, 04:30 PM
what is more important??, good music mixed rough or terrible music mixed superbly? I would rather see jeff who is a good at times but can also be poor at times but has a knowledge of good music and plays good music...than a dj who might technically be brilliant, but plays absolute crap music and just copies everyone else....if that makes any sense :lol:

for me it's about the music, not so much how it is mixed.

slavestudios
25-01-2004, 04:46 PM
i totally get what your sayin, but the thing with Mills is that the selection aint even moved on. the records aint progressed & his dj box aint seen a lot of traffic in ten years...

im not 'anti-Mills' but it pisses me off when someone who had so much to give to a sound drys up...

i think hes lost it in all respects. djing, record selection & record prodction

:cry:

slavestudios
25-01-2004, 04:48 PM
and with Mills being a loop dj/producer with the 3 dex & 909, his tracks are all about mixixng, so i cant really seperate them in a 'good trak, bad mix v bad trak good mix'

when i think about it, i cant listen to djs play bad no matter what it is. i'd rather hear cheese mixed well than proper hard loops mixed badly.

Esox Lucius
25-01-2004, 04:49 PM
fair enough, I see where you are coming from mate.

slavestudios
25-01-2004, 04:56 PM
but then, thats just me. i'm a reall picky twat when it comes to technical. and i expect sooo much from certain artists i respect.

first time i seen Chris Liebing i though he was totally useless. but, ive been expecting sumthin from his records. i really, really, really rate him as a producer (though i understand Andre wooden does a lot?) so i built him up to be this precise, technical genius with unparalelled skillz...

he was just this big Geraman guy playing bangin tunes ;)

which is fine, but i wanted to be amazed.

gumpy green
26-01-2004, 04:53 PM
i know he helped invent/pioneer loop techno, but that set was awful...

sorry Jeff, but it was just terrible.

i dont know how he continues to get bookings. it just shows what ppl are willing to let slide on the basis of past success. his production hasnt moved an inch & his djing is so sloppy. sorry, but u cant tell me its not a bad set. he may well 'have been on fire at...' or was' bangin it right out at...' but at that level & with those dj fees there is NO WAY he can be excused for playing like that at any point in any set in any club.

we all have a bad day in the booth once in a while, but we dont go around asking for thousands of pounds to do it...

The Alarms still rox :dance:

totally agrre with ya 100%.......

plus id rather see excellent tunes mixed excellentlly ......like how sekonz does it... :lol:

The Overfiend
26-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Sekonz stop whoring yourself.
Mills is Mills, there wont be a second coming.
Who cares about what he does now? Unless you bought it then found out it sucked, then complain. I'm sure he's just doing what he wants to because of the simple fact that he can. If i was at his level I would release a full length album on my own label consisting of me farting and tapping in a four four pace. Because like Mills it would prob sell and be called a stroke of genius by some weirdo in a remote country. look at hawtin.

The Overfiend
26-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Who cares about what he does now? Unless you bought it then found out it sucked, then complain. I'm sure he's just doing what he wants to because of the simple fact that he can. If i was at his level I would release a full length album on my own label consisting of me farting and tapping in a four four pace. Because like Mills it would prob sell and be called a stroke of genius by some weirdo in a remote country. look at hawtin.

tioneb
26-01-2004, 09:39 PM
would u stop these topics about jeff mills ?? it sbeen 10000th time im hearing this ridiculous arguing ...

mark , should be a rule of the board not talking about mills is good / sucks ... =))))

and anyways, im in happy mood with mills today, butty knows why =))))

The Overfiend
26-01-2004, 10:19 PM
mark , should be a rule of the board not talking about mills is good / sucks ... =))))

Sorry das board fuhrer.

gumpy green
27-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Me never......Ive been pimpin since i was 2....aint neva gonna stop... I got the finest hussle.

I think the reason folk complain is that hes still living of of his past history....thers no taking it away from him he IS part of how techno is today......but it dont mean hes still on top of the game....

I wish folk would stop just taking this name badge thingy and look past it to what matters- and to me its SKILLS whilst djing...he doesent seem to be cutting it compared to many others.........here goes......

.........like sekonz for example.

duncandisorderly
27-01-2004, 01:38 PM
for me it's about the music, not so much how it is mixed.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The Overfiend
27-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Me never......Ive been pimpin since i was 2....aint neva gonna stop... I got the finest hussle.

I think the reason folk complain is that hes still living of of his past history....thers no taking it away from him he IS part of how techno is today......but it dont mean hes still on top of the game....

I wish folk would stop just taking this name badge thingy and look past it to what matters- and to me its SKILLS whilst djing...he doesent seem to be cutting it compared to many others.........here goes......

.........like sekonz for example.

Can't knock the hustle huh, lol.

gumpy green
27-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Spot on - ya cant knock da hussle. Especially from the king of the deks ---sekonzorio...... ;)

Check him out, ya'll see mills aint got sheeeit on dis cat... ;)

The Overfiend
27-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Spot on - ya cant knock da hussle. Especially from the king of the deks ---sekonzorio...... ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

eeeeeeeasy there sport. lol
this aint hip hop there will be no bboy battle like in crush groove lol

gumpy green
27-01-2004, 06:01 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

eeeeeeeasy there sport. lol
this aint hip hop there will be no bboy battle like in crush groove lol

Dammit. I was lookin' forward to showing ya'll how weak deez muthafukaz really are on the 1 an 2's.

Ill battle any fool for 10K.......Striaght up Huss-I- Lin........No doubt.

278d7e64a374de26f==