PDA

View Full Version : M8 Magazine

Numeric
08-01-2004, 03:26 PM
I haven't been able to read M8 for about five years now...

Back in the day it was the most important music magazine in the UK, with unbias coverage on everything from Miss Moneypennys to Deathrow Techno...

It's just so full of sh*t these days though, and a couple of quality reviews from Mark doesn't warrant the money to purchase, especially as we can read them on this site for free!! :lol:

Si the Sigh
08-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Wasn't Wax something to do with M8? M8 seems a bit 'Northern' if you know what I mean... :eh:

TechnoWhore
08-01-2004, 03:32 PM
Wasn't Wax something to do with M8? M8 seems a bit 'Northern' if you know what I mean... :eh:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, but that just sounded sooooooooo funny...people from my workplace all turned and looked at me!! GULP!!

MARKEG
08-01-2004, 03:32 PM
yeah wax used to be the sister mag of m8, i used to be the music editor. m8 got alot more cheesy since the early hardcore days but recently there's been a change since the new editor has taken hold. mickey was so god damn cheesy - he used to hate techno. so there's a real change now. i mean a full page of techno!!!! wooooo hooooo

Si the Sigh
08-01-2004, 03:33 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, but that just sounded sooooooooo funny...people from my workplace all turned and looked at me!! GULP!!

Nah, no offense to the Northern massive, but you know what I mean don't you! :lol:

Numeric
08-01-2004, 03:38 PM
Yeah, Wax and M8 were sister mags as far as i understood...

M8 used to have top dance coverage from all corners of the UK, and even abroad. Later i think their plan was to allow Wax to concentrate on the underground scene, and M8 could become a kind of psuedo Loaded...

In any case, i wouldn't touch M8 these days...

Si the Sigh
08-01-2004, 03:40 PM
...nah, too 'northern' for me... ;)

Numeric
08-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Actualy, if Mark says that Mickey has gotten off, maybe the mag is worth it again?

teknorich
08-01-2004, 05:52 PM
I used to read M8 every issue years ago, because it was the only magazine to give hardcore the time of day. It was an alternative music magazine, right down to it's motto - "Convert, don't comply."

How gutted was I that, just two issues into my year long subscription, they changed to some shitty lads wank mag, where pictures of Jo Guest on the front cover were more important than actual musical content!!

I can fully believe that the changes were down to Mickey, who always seemed a twat and if he has now been replaced maybe the magazine can claw it's way out of the Loaded, FHM section and back into the music section where it belongs. Giving a full page of techno reviews to someone like Mark is a definite step forward, so here's hoping for a return to previous form!!

Fingers crossed...

daviec
08-01-2004, 07:06 PM
I used to buy M8 about 8 or 9 years ago (I think). I remember being amazed that a mag I found in the local John Menzies (WH Smith) had coverage of Rezerection and Prodigy.

It was good for a while. Probably a few years. I thought Claire Wyburn was quite a good editor. Then daft stuff started appearing... Fashion Ambulance and shit. Then lifestyle issues etc. Piece of pish. Eternity was good round about that time though so I got it, and then the editor seemed to lose his marbles. It just got a bit too weird.

Wax seemed to pick up the mantle of underground music and I got it for a while.

Now all the music mags seem to be a pile of pish. Pity. I like a good read.

My pet hate about all of them though, was that the records reviewed were ****ing impossible to get hold of. I remember being delighted when I got hold of a "Nitric" number which had been reviewed by Mark in one mag. Still got it somewhere.

karlo
08-01-2004, 08:31 PM
url of magazine?! ;o)

gimme adress to take a look :doh:

thanks

Sunil
08-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Eternity was good round about that time though so I got it, and then the editor seemed to lose his marbles. It just got a bit too weird

Oh yeah I think I remember that, wasn't there a special on Reiki healing in it once? !! Not that there's anything wrong with Reiki :nono: but it was still a bit out of place!

Col
08-01-2004, 11:18 PM
their is more pages of fashion than pages of music within M8 magazine, and beyond fashion its filled with judge jules this, fergie that. yawn. its wank.

Col
08-01-2004, 11:21 PM

cheeky cunt. :nono:

dont associate that magazine with the north please, the magazine is an embarassement to music, and an insult to the north if anything.

mark why dont u ask if u can do the techno reviews at upfront instead?

Esox Lucius
08-01-2004, 11:23 PM
M8 is a Scottish mag I think.

take a break & womans own are the best mags at the moment, I buy just 17 & smash hits regulary aswell :lol:

karlo
09-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Please,
somebody, gimme link to see web site of tht M8...

Thanks..
Karlo

MARKEG
09-01-2004, 11:32 AM
www.m8magazine.com

karlo
09-01-2004, 02:30 PM
www.m8magazine.com

Thanks mark!

Finally!

Tony
09-01-2004, 05:21 PM
just 17, woooooooow!! proper hardcore gabba/noizcore shit gets reveiwed in there, crumbs!! i hear they had the bug and diamanda galas as agony aunts the one month, dealing with the sensitive issue of teenage self fisting.

ampassasinbirmingham
09-01-2004, 05:27 PM
www.m8magazine.com

MR EG IN MIX MAG :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Esox Lucius
09-01-2004, 05:34 PM
just 17, woooooooow!! proper hardcore gabba/noizcore shit gets reveiwed in there, crumbs!! i hear they had the bug and diamanda galas as agony aunts the one month, dealing with the sensitive issue of teenage self fisting.

you know it tony! I bet you have a monthly subscription...I know I do :lol:

Tony
09-01-2004, 05:45 PM
i have to sneak it into a copy of the peoples friend, or haberdashers monthly so i dont get embaressed :oops: :oops:

daviec
09-01-2004, 10:08 PM
Eternity was good round about that time though so I got it, and then the editor seemed to lose his marbles. It just got a bit too weird

Oh yeah I think I remember that, wasn't there a special on Reiki healing in it once? !! Not that there's anything wrong with Reiki :nono: but it was still a bit out of place!

I think one of my lasting memories of the mag is when they decided to turn it sideways (if you know what i mean). It meant you could never read the last lines on the top page and the first on the bottom.

And the month the cover was Jesus standing in front of a spaceship surrounded by aliens! :lol: :lol: WTF!!

278d7e64a374de26f==