PDA

View Full Version : Start The War On Minimal

Darkmode
06-10-2008, 10:34 AM
I found this group on facebook looks like a lot of people are getting sick of Minimal

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2339928170&ref=ts

Rarebug
06-10-2008, 11:53 AM
The minimal is so bored,I always compared it with a faucet half open with little drops falling.

xes
06-10-2008, 12:02 PM
some people must like it though,cos it's got a following.

I have an idea,and I know it sounds batshit crazy,but if people don't like something,then they don't have to go out and dance to it,or buy the music.

or they could just sit around and bitch about it........

RDR
06-10-2008, 01:15 PM
On a forum?

whoever heard of such a thing. :lol:

koma
06-10-2008, 01:25 PM
thank god there's so much innovative dark and hard techno, that will be our weapon

right :coffee:

DannyBlack
06-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Music is Music. Some like certain types, some don't. Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one.

MARK ANXIOUS
06-10-2008, 03:53 PM
wow all of ermmm 190 members...

you know what,

i really don't see the point of hating on a style of music. i used to do it myself, and i put it down to insecurity and boredom. if you believe your music is best, why waste your energy? put it into your own music and bring something positive to the table instead of stroking yourself under your computer desk.

maaaan some people must be spending a fooooooortune on tissues ;)

massplanck
06-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Insecure Twats.

koma
06-10-2008, 04:05 PM
yeah, i thought all this mnml bitching was already passe

The Overfiend
06-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Agreed, it's more productive to write or buy or support what you like than it is to naysay another genre altogether, regardless of what you think is hot, there is someone out there that cannot wait to hear the newest track on we are or syndikaat or the likes.

Darkmode
06-10-2008, 05:47 PM

you know what,

i really don't see the point of hating on a style of music. i used to do it myself, and i put it down to insecurity and boredom. if you believe your music is best, why waste your energy? put it into your own music and bring something positive to the table instead of stroking yourself under your computer desk.

I can see where you are coming from Mark it is a bit imature if people say their music is better than another genre of music I do admit I'm not keen on Minimal but I won't go around saying that my music is better though

RDR
06-10-2008, 05:52 PM
I can see where you are coming from Mark it is a bit imature if people say their music is better than another genre of music I do admit I'm not keen on Minimal but I won't go around saying that my music is better though

Forgive me if im wrong but i dont think that's what mark meant...

Big up what you love, rather than waste energy on dissing what you dont...

djfilthmonger
06-10-2008, 06:59 PM
i dont hate minimal i just dont understand... its been hoggin the dance scene in waterford for a while now... too long ... but word from a few new promtors startin here ... some different for a change

djfilthmonger
06-10-2008, 07:03 PM
just became a fan of urs darkmode.. anyone else on facebook?

qUE
06-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Hahaha, yeah I had to put up with a fair bit of bitching from minimal peeps about hard techno. tbh this sort of backlash is bound to happen if a genre becomes elitest, which you've only got to look at the m-nus lot promotional tactics to see what I mean.

I can't remember the last time I heard panik attack in a minimal set anyway :)

rhythmtech
06-10-2008, 08:08 PM
ill tell you what. there is some amazing minimal out there - check out format b's new album "steam circuit".. it bloody rocks

System 47
06-10-2008, 08:16 PM
i love both..

check my mixes.. 01 is stripped back proper mnml & 02 is hammering hard bests..

i think theres a huge misread in the use of the term.. mnm, imo, is not what most ppl are claimin.. mnml is the sound of Basic Channel & earlier Plastikman & Mike Ink..

i like both.. but only the good stuff. i think theres as much 'bad' hard techno as there is mnml..

and what is 'bad' anyways.. surely its only subjective, therefore there is no right or wrong.. only what you do or dont like.

The Overfiend
06-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Voltaire in the house y'all!
Where's Adverse when you need him!

clubsynthetic
06-10-2008, 08:33 PM
minimal is shit,, but it is also good..

can it be?????

BDC
06-10-2008, 08:36 PM
I dont know, to me, I like the fact that minimal :

1. tends to make great use of open space with good use of the frequency spectrum, particularly low-end.

2. there is a loose feel to the sequencing, and hence has a laid back effect on the dancefloor.

3. with the more innovative minimal out there, the better producers tend to use simple ideas in creative ways that you often find yourself saying "damn, its so simple, but so ****ing sick...why didnt I think of that"... this of course is dependent on the quality of the production....

4. most importantly, its easier for a wider "hip" audience to digest. This wider audience, isn't as sophisticated of a listener to the music, but just wants some nice grooves to get down to...i.e. chicks can tolerate it.

Now those who know me well know me for playin harder stuff, and I still primarily do, but like to balance things out by playin minimal-ish type stuff....but it depends on the situation I'm in.

just my 2 cents.

S.L.U.T Promotions
06-10-2008, 08:43 PM
ill tell you what. there is some amazing minimal out there - check out format b's new album "steam circuit".. it bloody rocks

to right baz....i have a shit load of nails techno and loads of quality minimal....minimal is a more laid back approach to techno but that doesnt make it shit...some people just have very narrow minds....big ups to all styles...if they groove then you move!...its that simple..

Split-Personality
06-10-2008, 09:12 PM

1. tends to make great use of open space with good use of the frequency spectrum, particularly low-end.

2. there is a loose feel to the sequencing, and hence has a laid back effect on the dancefloor.

3. with the more innovative minimal out there, the better producers tend to use simple ideas in creative ways that you often find yourself saying "damn, its so simple, but so ****ing sick...why didnt I think of that"... this of course is dependent on the quality of the production....

4. most importantly, its easier for a wider "hip" audience to digest. This wider audience, isn't as sophisticated of a listener to the music, but just wants some nice grooves to get down to...i.e. chicks can tolerate it.

Now those who know me well know me for playin harder stuff, and I still primarily do, but like to balance things out by playin minimal-ish type stuff....but it depends on the situation I'm in.

just my 2 cents.

Reckon theres a lot of truth been written right there, Minimal is generally easily driven by the sound system and the ladies definitely get on with it better.

Dont get me wrong though I do love rocking up to a proper Techno night with my mates and getting nicely hammered. But I do think Minimal takes a lot of stick, Minimal doesnt have to be withdrawn uninvolving plink-plonk all night long.

Horses for courses I guess.

djfilthmonger
06-10-2008, 09:15 PM
schranz also gets a lot of stick... but sure if dont like it dont listen it . thats wat i do with minimal. sorted!

Jay Pace
06-10-2008, 09:33 PM

That is everything I like about minimal. Nicely put.

RDR
06-10-2008, 10:21 PM

just my 2 cents.

Some excellent points there!

good contribution. :yup:

digitalboy
06-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Not really into schranz and if there's too much of it in the shop i might have a grumble to myself,but no big deal.You just except thats what's at the forefront right now and search more or leave it till next month.

If they want to make an anti-minimal group fair play.I'm sure you could find lots of groups like this regarding all genres. I agree that it does seem like a waste of time though.

davethedrummer
07-10-2008, 12:26 PM
*3. with the more innovative minimal out there, the better producers tend to use simple ideas in creative ways that you often find yourself saying "damn, its so simple, but so ****ing sick...why didnt I think of that"... this of course is dependent on the quality of the production....*

yes i agree with this too
but then thats really relevant to all music wouldn't you say?

anyway for what it's worth EVERYWHERE i go at the moment people are not just moaning about the music itself ie: minimal.

but they are moaning about how ALL their favorite clubs/ DJs are playing either minimal or electro now, and they don't have any choice any more , that seems to be the main gripe.
and i can see where they are coming from.

I was in Belgium on Friday and people were positively frothing about what i was doing
mainly because they'd not heard it before.

it wasn't just me playing to a bunch of acid techno heads who knew all the tracks,
no these were kids who are genuinely fed up with everyone playing the same thing
and just wanted to hear something different for a change.

there does seem to be a bit of a backlash going on i must admit.

mattboyslim
07-10-2008, 02:58 PM
yeah i got a similar reaction in Copenhagen last month. "The kids want techno" goes the saying, but they're having trouble finding it

DannyBlack
07-10-2008, 03:04 PM
*3. with the more innovative minimal out there, the better producers tend to use simple ideas in creative ways that you often find yourself saying "damn, its so simple, but so ****ing sick...why didnt I think of that"... this of course is dependent on the quality of the production....*

anyway for what it's worth EVERYWHERE i go at the moment people are not just moaning about the music itself ie: minimal.

but they are moaning about how ALL their favorite clubs/ DJs are playing either minimal or electro now, and they don't have any choice any more , that seems to be the main gripe.

I was in Belgium on Friday and people were positively frothing about what i was doing

it wasn't just me playing to a bunch of acid techno heads who knew all the tracks,
no these were kids who are genuinely fed up with everyone playing the same thing

+1. I wouldn't bitch about it half as much if our town wasn't saturated with the tripe.
Same reason that I hate Deep Spunky House too. The toughest machoest chavvy scumbags in the town listen to the gayest of the gayest music ever to penetrate your ear arse.

Miss Saysay
07-10-2008, 03:09 PM
This guys response to the minimal haters of the group made me chuckle! :lol:

''ONE THING IS FOR SURE.....THIS GROUP IS THE BIGGETS PILE OF SHITE I HAVE EVERY HEARD OFF. (WANKERS) IF YOU ARE SO CALLED 'FANS OF ELECTRONIC MUSIC' THEN SURELY SLAGGING OFF A GENRE OF MUSIC THAT FITS INTO ELECTRONIC MUSIC IS A ****IN DISGRACE AND SHOWS YOU ACTUALLY HAVE NO ****IN IDEA OF WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. (WANKERS)JUST BECAUSE YOU ****IN BOZO'S DONT LIKE THE MINAMALISTIC APROACH TO MUSIC DOES IT MEAN YOU HAVE TO TRY AND SPOIL IT FOR THE REST OF THE KIDS WHO DO. (WANKERS) IF MINIMAL MUSIC IS SO POOR, THEN PRAY TELL WHY THERE WAS SUCH AN UPROAR THIS YEAR WHEN DC10 WAS CLOSED FOR THE BEST PART OF THE SEASON, NOT BECAUSE EVERYONE WANTED TO GET BLITZED AND LISTERN TO TECHNO. (WANKERS) YES, THERE IS A TIME AND A PLACE FOR TECHNO, GETTING WACKED OUT ON A HANDFUL OF JACKIES AND GOING YOUR ENDS IS CERTAINLY A LOT OF FUN BUT AT 8 IN THE MORNING WHEN THE SUN IS BLAZING A MAXIMUS DOSAGE OF MINIMAL MUSIC IS WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED (WANKERS).

SUMMARY: **** YOU WANKERS XX''

basslinejunkie
07-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Some excellent points there!

good contribution. :yup:

i think how its mixed is also important.i mix it the same as techno,or try too, and when things go well its an absolute pleasure to mix minimal tunes or even tech house,bags of fun and sounds sweet. mit post a mix up here soon actually once i get my recording thingy to start working!!

DannyBlack
07-10-2008, 03:19 PM
:lol: he certainly told them (wankers)

BDC
07-10-2008, 03:22 PM

yes I agree with ya Henry, but the stuff that you guys make usually has me goin... " shit, I can't even begin to conceptualize how you did that..." which has just as much of an impact to me really. LOL.

What's interesting is that here in the states, minimal takes a back seat to electro house .... just like a lot of European cats made that sharp left back in 03, a lot of good American DJ's made a sharp right and went Electro...

djfilthmonger
07-10-2008, 03:29 PM
i think how its mixed is also important.i mix it the same as techno,or try too, and when things go well its an absolute pleasure to mix minimal tunes or even tech house,bags of fun and sounds sweet. mit post a mix up here soon actually once i get my recording thingy to start working!!

i found this also. in waterford house is fairly big but now a days the house djs are mixing minimal techno the same way they mix house (how does this make sense) so all the techno heads find it hard to get into. in german i seen a minimal dj in the U-Bar and I really enjoyed it music was minimal but the mixing was excited . i have mixed house for some of my mates bdays (not to much) , danny you were there too ... we had to just mix it really filthy to be able to put up with it , i hate standing around waiting for the track to be nearly over.

basically mixing house wishing it was techno as follows
http://file046a.bebo.com/17/large/2008/08/19/03/889420480a8680162998l.jpg

ha ha

DannyBlack
07-10-2008, 04:16 PM
:lol: the head on me! Yeah man, at the end of the night we started with the techno. Ah, that was a good night actually.

S.L.U.T Promotions
07-10-2008, 04:27 PM
yeah i got a similar reaction in Copenhagen last month. "The kids want techno" goes the saying, but they're having trouble finding it

they wont have any trouble finding it at our night....we got a bit of everything for everyone....and im playing a bit of minimal and down-tempo techno to wind things up....its all about the moderation to balance a good night out!....

kenny tekton (S.L.U.T)

www.myspace.com/slutpromotions

S.L.U.T Promotions
07-10-2008, 04:31 PM

''ONE THING IS FOR SURE.....THIS GROUP IS THE BIGGETS PILE OF SHITE I HAVE EVERY HEARD OFF. (WANKERS) IF YOU ARE SO CALLED 'FANS OF ELECTRONIC MUSIC' THEN SURELY SLAGGING OFF A GENRE OF MUSIC THAT FITS INTO ELECTRONIC MUSIC IS A ****IN DISGRACE AND SHOWS YOU ACTUALLY HAVE NO ****IN IDEA OF WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. (WANKERS)JUST BECAUSE YOU ****IN BOZO'S DONT LIKE THE MINAMALISTIC APROACH TO MUSIC DOES IT MEAN YOU HAVE TO TRY AND SPOIL IT FOR THE REST OF THE KIDS WHO DO. (WANKERS) IF MINIMAL MUSIC IS SO POOR, THEN PRAY TELL WHY THERE WAS SUCH AN UPROAR THIS YEAR WHEN DC10 WAS CLOSED FOR THE BEST PART OF THE SEASON, NOT BECAUSE EVERYONE WANTED TO GET BLITZED AND LISTERN TO TECHNO. (WANKERS) YES, THERE IS A TIME AND A PLACE FOR TECHNO, GETTING WACKED OUT ON A HANDFUL OF JACKIES AND GOING YOUR ENDS IS CERTAINLY A LOT OF FUN BUT AT 8 IN THE MORNING WHEN THE SUN IS BLAZING A MAXIMUS DOSAGE OF MINIMAL MUSIC IS WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED (WANKERS).

quality rant...touche' i say miss say say ;)

Miss Saysay
07-10-2008, 05:28 PM
quality rant...touche' i say miss say say ;)

Im especially loving the usage of the word 'wankers' haha!! :lol:

Darkmode
07-10-2008, 05:28 PM

Yeah I also found it funny he needs to get a grip as not everyone likes Minimal

Miss Saysay
07-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah I also found it funny he needs to get a grip as not everyone likes Minimal

Aye was a tad overboard wasn't he, or perhaps over bored! *ahem* Either way it's all music, if some people don't like it then fine and if some people do then good for them. I can take it or leave it personally, some i like, some i dont. :)

nickoc
07-10-2008, 11:00 PM

you know what,

right on, mark. Nothing appeals to everyone, and one person's shit is another person's manure, so to speak.

however, deep down, most minimal-haters in the techno world are really just deeply insecure about the fragmentation and decline in their much-loved and much-treasured scene, and see minimal as a threat.

come on guys, it's just musical evolution in action! get over it! techno is living, growing, it's not a static thing, locked in the past. if it can't handle a bit of variation in style across the genre then i'm not... er... right.

anyhow, back to those old orbit mixes thud thud thud thud...

djfilthmonger
08-10-2008, 01:42 AM
i think Dave the drummer hit the nail on the head for me anyway, there's not enough of variety in our city, too much minimal around here compared to a few years back ... there is a lot of variety in peoples taste here just been force fed minimal all the time is not good for the techno scene

Mucky Beats
08-10-2008, 07:41 AM
To be honest when the "minimal" thing first hit i was one of the people who was'nt into it it seemed to infect online stores like juno so that every other tune was some sripped back blippy bloppy thing... but i was more i wasnt giving it the time of day to realize that it is just a form of the music i love so much that is techno. In time ive been lucky enough to go to some amazing events and get hold of some amazing music on the more minimal side... I'm not saying im now a minimal dj or anything like that ...im a techno dj and im proud to stand up and say that in any place or time till the day i die... and given the chance i will play the sickest dark twisted techno known to man... but the world is a vast place and people like all diffrent forms of techno and i really want to be able to do a set of music that works in whatever event i am in. To be fair ive maybe played only a few more minmal sided sets always slipping in likes of bas mooy and christian wunch over the top of likes of alex bau to give it a darker hard edge, but never the less there is a minimal feel to some of my sets.

Minimal has been around since the start of techno , I played with hood the other month and that guy has been banging out ruff "minimal" sets since i was in school haha. Richie Hawtin records ive got from the 90's are such simple minimal ... this is not a new music it is just now it is in the main stream and thus all the big techno artists now move to where they can make a living and play to the biggest crowds. And as that happens more good music is made and it grows. The down side is a lot of the big "harder" techno djs have now moved to making just minimal and so has knock on effect that not such high sales in our side of the market ... but lets be fair it gives us all shoes to fill gaps in the market and sets to play as a lot of those guys and there music shaped "harder" techno and with out them it gives us chance to move the music forward in our way.

To say you hate minimal is fair enough each to there own ... i would be a fool to tell anyone there wrong as i felt the same at first... i was like was is this crap but once i gave it time it grew on me and there is a reason why it is so massive... its quite good. Also main thing is in my eyes ... is it not better the kids get into minimal first rather than trance as then sooner or later they are going to want it harder ... im seeing it now people goin "I dont like minimal im into techno now" to be fair they dont have a clue and there just doing the fad thing and trying to stay to cool for school by saying it but the truth is they are already into techno if they like minimal they are just looking for a little more and thats where we come in with our pounding techno music hehe!

Darkmode
08-10-2008, 01:00 PM
To be honest when the "minimal" thing first hit i was one of the people who was'nt into it it seemed to infect online stores like juno so that every other tune was some sripped back blippy bloppy thing... but i was more i wasnt giving it the time of day to realize that it is just a form of the music i love so much that is techno. In time ive been lucky enough to go to some amazing events and get hold of some amazing music on the more minimal side... I'm not saying im now a minimal dj or anything like that ...im a techno dj and im proud to stand up and say that in any place or time till the day i die... and given the chance i will play the sickest dark twisted techno known to man... but the world is a vast place and people like all diffrent forms of techno and i really want to be able to do a set of music that works in whatever event i am in. To be fair ive maybe played only a few more minmal sided sets always slipping in likes of bas mooy and christian wunch over the top of likes of alex bau to give it a darker hard edge, but never the less there is a minimal feel to some of my sets.

Minimal has been around since the start of techno , I played with hood the other month and that guy has been banging out ruff "minimal" sets since i was in school haha. Richie Hawtin records ive got from the 90's are such simple minimal ... this is not a new music it is just now it is in the main stream and thus all the big techno artists now move to where they can make a living and play to the biggest crowds. And as that happens more good music is made and it grows. The down side is a lot of the big "harder" techno djs have now moved to making just minimal and so has knock on effect that not such high sales in our side of the market ... but lets be fair it gives us all shoes to fill gaps in the market and sets to play as a lot of those guys and there music shaped "harder" techno and with out them it gives us chance to move the music forward in our way.

To say you hate minimal is fair enough each to there own ... i would be a fool to tell anyone there wrong as i felt the same at first... i was like was is this crap but once i gave it time it grew on me and there is a reason why it is so massive... its quite good. Also main thing is in my eyes ... is it not better the kids get into minimal first rather than trance as then sooner or later they are going to want it harder ... im seeing it now people goin "I dont like minimal im into techno now" to be fair they dont have a clue and there just doing the fad thing and trying to stay to cool for school by saying it but the truth is they are already into techno if they like minimal they are just looking for a little more and thats where we come in with our pounding techno music hehe!

I can see where you are coming from I like the early Minimal Techno from the 90's by Rob Hood,Jeff Mills & Mr Hawtin but I don't like the stuff that is classed as Minimal today

Metacognition
09-10-2008, 01:44 PM

Word. I was about to ask for specific examples of this stuff people hate.

I got into Guido Schneider and Gaiser and the like two years or so ago, around a time nobody else I knew had heard of it, and I still think some of their output to be works of genius.

Then, all of a sudden it became something that people "hate" or something... not sure why.

MARK ANXIOUS
10-10-2008, 04:29 AM
it is just a form of the music i love so much that is techno.

mate that really struck a chord with me today. i thought about all the shit i ever think about that is techno. and basically, it's every music imaginable that makes me think a certain way. i just can't describe it, but it's stuff that makes me think, makes me challenge myself. i suppose the whole fact that i got into production doesnt help cause i'm constantly thinking about what is wrong with the eq of whatever. damn it drives me nuts. :)

amoungst other things, i'll often flick over to radio 3 in the car on a weekend during gigs on a fri/sat and some experimental jazz shit will often pop up.... chrissi and i are like 'OMG this is soooooo techno'. obviously it isnt 'techno' in the 'genre' sense of the word but it's still techno - a bunch of ppl trying to make music that they class as good.

i think if you take any genre, any style, if you can tune into their frequency, more power to you.

you know what? the sooner ppl get over this genre thing the better. good music is good music. minimal can me really feckin damn good if you listen to the right stuff. it's just finding it amoungst the crap. but that's half the challenge eh?? heheh

Dorian Hunter
10-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Everyone should listen to whatever he wants to, I totally agree with that.
My girlfriend can`t stand electronic music and I still love her.

But it makes me sad somehow when some of my personal heroes who made me start listening and producing Techno like Adam Beyer, Lars Klein, Marco Carola etc. etc. start to make boring stuff just because of sales figures.

Nothing against Minimal but respect to all who still do 100% pure Techno!

Athar
10-10-2008, 10:33 AM
agreed, i like some minimal techno staff at the moment but music its a just big circle and good times for minimal will end someday,
im sure people will be boring to death with minimal, what will be next ?

i would love to get more bpm again, yeah 100% pure techno but im affraid i wont, tendency is geting slower with bpm unfortunately

Darkmode
10-10-2008, 11:05 AM
mate that really struck a chord with me today. i thought about all the shit i ever think about that is techno. and basically, it's every music imaginable that makes me think a certain way. i just can't describe it, but it's stuff that makes me think, makes me challenge myself. i suppose the whole fact that i got into production doesnt help cause i'm constantly thinking about what is wrong with the eq of whatever. damn it drives me nuts. :)

amoungst other things, i'll often flick over to radio 3 in the car on a weekend during gigs on a fri/sat and some experimental jazz shit will often pop up.... chrissi and i are like 'OMG this is soooooo techno'. obviously it isnt 'techno' in the 'genre' sense of the word but it's still techno - a bunch of ppl trying to make music that they class as good.

i think if you take any genre, any style, if you can tune into their frequency, more power to you.

you know what? the sooner ppl get over this genre thing the better. good music is good music. minimal can me really feckin damn good if you listen to the right stuff. it's just finding it amoungst the crap. but that's half the challenge eh?? heheh

Yeah I think the whole genre thing annoying I remember the days when it was Electro, Techno, House, Trance & Drum & Bass now there is loads of stupid genre tags for music that is basicly the same

djfilthmonger
10-10-2008, 02:03 PM
agreed, i like some minimal techno staff at the moment but music its a just big circle and good times for minimal will end someday,
im sure people will be boring to death with minimal, what will be next ?

i would love to get more bpm again, yeah 100% pure techno but im affraid i wont, tendency is geting slower with bpm unfortunately

I reckon the fidget house scene may boom. Kinda brings techno , electro and house followers altogether.
I havent heard anyone I have showed it to yet complain , Lot of postive taughts about this genre.

DannyBlack
10-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Thats like your ma, she brings everyone together.

Jay Pace
10-10-2008, 03:52 PM
But it makes me sad somehow when some of my personal heroes who made me start listening and producing Techno like Adam Beyer, Lars Klein, Marco Carola etc. etc. start to make boring stuff just because of sales figures.

Why do you assume they did it just because of the sales figures?

Adam Beyer was one of my heroes, and was one of the people who got me hooked on techno. But after a while he was churning out endless chuggy monotonous loopfests. The Mr Sliff records were a definite move away from that, and he's made IMO some of the best "minimal" out there, production that blows you away with a hard edged funk to it.

People progress, move on. Can't expect beyer to want to keep producing chug fests for ever. Same goes for Carola, Klein et all, I can really see an evolution in their output. People's tastes and creative ideas develop and evolve. I don't think they're producing stuff they hate just to make money, I think they like majority of the scene just moved on in terms of what they produced.

If everyone was still making loopy pounders I don't think I'd be that bothered about techno. It would be just another short lived genre that people eventually grew out of. Like happy hardcore.

The main clash I see is between hard techno culture and minimal culture which are at pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum. Musically though I don't think there's all that much in it, despite people's objections. Put through a decent rig, there are "minimal" tracks that sound just as brutal, dark, brooding and electrifying as the best hard techno - the same effect is just produced a different way.

The main "problem" I see is that the crowds, atmosphere, clubs and ages of punters is changing, and the old guard, the shaven haired techno army reject the younger "trendified" entrants into their camp, and feel somehow betrayed that the former leaders of the shaven haired army are now performing for a different crowd.

Much as people bitch and moan about the minimal "scene" and culture, most of the bitching is just recogntion that the new "scene" looks and feels different to the old scene. But I don't think blaming the music for the scene is fair. Or particularly productive. If everyone went back to producing loopy pounders tomorrow you wouldn't see a resurgence of 90s techno culture.

Smear
10-10-2008, 07:28 PM
I think having loads of genres is a good thing, it makes it easy to spot someone who doesn't operate within them, and does something original or interesting.

Plus you have a small handful of big names, DJs, producers, promoters etc within each little scene. If you replaced that with one big scene, you'd probably end up with a much smaller amount of people making a much better living, fewer labels and parties to choose from, and fewer opportunities for young DJs, producers and nights to try and establish themselves.

It's good that a lot of people try not to pay too much attention to genres here, but they're never going to go away, and they can be handy as a rough guide or to help describe music. It's just a shame so many people take them as gospel, or worse, exploit them for themselves.

rhythmtech
10-10-2008, 07:38 PM
to be honest i dont really see adam beyer as mnml at all.. some sounds he uses are pretty obviously from the mnml genre but his latest stuff is just funky techno really.

djfilthmonger
11-10-2008, 01:24 AM
to be honest i dont really see adam beyer as mnml at all.. some sounds he uses are pretty obviously from the mnml genre but his latest stuff is just funky techno really.

swedish techno is a lovely style of tesh! and ur ma is beyer in my bed right now. gotta love the ginger pubes

MARK ANXIOUS
11-10-2008, 06:13 AM
Why do you assume they did it just because of the sales figures?

Adam Beyer was one of my heroes, and was one of the people who got me hooked on techno. But after a while he was churning out endless chuggy monotonous loopfests. The Mr Sliff records were a definite move away from that, and he's made IMO some of the best "minimal" out there, production that blows you away with a hard edged funk to it.

People progress, move on. Can't expect beyer to want to keep producing chug fests for ever. Same goes for Carola, Klein et all, I can really see an evolution in their output. People's tastes and creative ideas develop and evolve. I don't think they're producing stuff they hate just to make money, I think they like majority of the scene just moved on in terms of what they produced.

If everyone was still making loopy pounders I don't think I'd be that bothered about techno. It would be just another short lived genre that people eventually grew out of. Like happy hardcore.

The main clash I see is between hard techno culture and minimal culture which are at pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum. Musically though I don't think there's all that much in it, despite people's objections. Put through a decent rig, there are "minimal" tracks that sound just as brutal, dark, brooding and electrifying as the best hard techno - the same effect is just produced a different way.

The main "problem" I see is that the crowds, atmosphere, clubs and ages of punters is changing, and the old guard, the shaven haired techno army reject the younger "trendified" entrants into their camp, and feel somehow betrayed that the former leaders of the shaven haired army are now performing for a different crowd.

Much as people bitch and moan about the minimal "scene" and culture, most of the bitching is just recogntion that the new "scene" looks and feels different to the old scene. But I don't think blaming the music for the scene is fair. Or particularly productive. If everyone went back to producing loopy pounders tomorrow you wouldn't see a resurgence of 90s techno culture.

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT response imho. I was going to the say the same thing about dj's 'selling out'. It's not selling out, it's deeper than that eh. I really do think 90% of the time it's having to 'adapt', feeling you need to do it, even though you're kinda worried about it, then realising a few years later that it was the best thing you ever did and you're 10 times more excited about the music.

The way I feel about it all is once you've been playing to good crowd at the top of your game, really feeling that power of new and exciting music, the last thing you want to be doing is playing to six old-age'd ravers in an empty club. Fine, if you're at home with ya mates, and for the odd old school set here and there, but not really what you want to be doing once you've got the bug. It's a sad fact of music, but you really have to let go once the scene moves on. It's either that or get left behind.

As someone who (very luckily) gets to play in alot of diverse and different clubs here in the UK and abroad, I've seen so many scene's evolve and change over the years, whether it's techno, trance, house, acid, drum n bass, gabba, experimental, electro, happy hardcore (oh that was one point i didnt quite agree with ya jay - have you seen how big the happy hardcore scene is here in the UK, even today???????? it shits all over techno mate, probably most other styles for the 18-21 age range). They change cause they have to. They change cause new younger DJ's come in, with new ideas. They change cause new younger crowds come in with different clothes, a different atmosphere. They change cause new producers are influenced by that. And so it goes on....

It's sooooo obvious this change is all down to generation change. Generations affect the way music is. And you simply can't stop it. It's what keeps the wheel moving and the putters guessing. Embrace it. Force yourself to get into it. It might feel awkward at first, even criminal that you would dare to do such a thing, but you will NOT regret it. Mark my words.

Well it's either that or spending the later half of your life being annoyed with everything and everybody. God, I hope I don't come across someone like this in the OAP home :)

:lol:

S.L.U.T Promotions
11-10-2008, 11:27 AM

mark man....nail on the head....good music is just good music....you can find good qualities in anything you hear be it music or otherwise....if you work in a factory and over time the clunking of the machines that used to drive you nuts can turn into this industrial orchestra...the trains running over the weld in the tracks turns into a rhythmic pattern...tap into frequency's and your brain manipulates them into patterns and gives you a different out look as to how you percieve them....either that or ive had one too many disco biscuits in the height of the russian dispute ;)

S.L.U.T Promotions
11-10-2008, 11:29 AM
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT response imho. I was going to the say the same thing about dj's 'selling out'. It's not selling out, it's deeper than that eh. I really do think 90% of the time it's having to 'adapt', feeling you need to do it, even though you're kinda worried about it, then realising a few years later that it was the best thing you ever did and you're 10 times more excited about the music.

The way I feel about it all is once you've been playing to good crowd at the top of your game, really feeling that power of new and exciting music, the last thing you want to be doing is playing to six old-age'd ravers in an empty club. Fine, if you're at home with ya mates, and for the odd old school set here and there, but not really what you want to be doing once you've got the bug. It's a sad fact of music, but you really have to let go once the scene moves on. It's either that or get left behind.

As someone who (very luckily) gets to play in alot of diverse and different clubs here in the UK and abroad, I've seen so many scene's evolve and change over the years, whether it's techno, trance, house, acid, drum n bass, gabba, experimental, electro, happy hardcore (oh that was one point i didnt quite agree with ya jay - have you seen how big the happy hardcore scene is here in the UK, even today???????? it shits all over techno mate, probably most other styles for the 18-21 age range). They change cause they have to. They change cause new younger DJ's come in, with new ideas. They change cause new younger crowds come in with different clothes, a different atmosphere. They change cause new producers are influenced by that. And so it goes on....

It's sooooo obvious this change is all down to generation change. Generations affect the way music is. And you simply can't stop it. It's what keeps the wheel moving and the putters guessing. Embrace it. Force yourself to get into it. It might feel awkward at first, even criminal that you would dare to do such a thing, but you will NOT regret it. Mark my words.

Well it's either that or spending the later half of your life being annoyed with everything and everybody. God, I hope I don't come across someone like this in the OAP home :)

:lol:

its a musical evolution!!....animals and humans have been doing this right through the ages....it applies to everything....even music!....especially music!!!!

the_psychologist
11-10-2008, 04:36 PM
i think that the plinkus plonkus school of minimal does have limited applications, but it can be really cool for creating a lull in a set, almost like a macro version of a single tune's breakdown/buildup.

i think the closest i got was Extrawelt's output, and their tunes are generally dense enough that i think they avoid the genre.

it is weird to me that the public at large, who generally embraces the cheeziest stuff, would develop a taste for music where "less is more". generally "more is more" with the masses. i think it must be regarded as "cool" or something.

nickoc
11-10-2008, 04:53 PM
mate that really struck a chord with me today. i thought about all the shit i ever think about that is techno. and basically, it's every music imaginable that makes me think a certain way. i just can't describe it, but it's stuff that makes me think, makes me challenge myself...

Well put. At the end of the day, which 'genre' you perceive a certain piece of music falls into depends on your outlook, and what exactly you gain from the music, on a personal level.

For me. it's all goddam techno, it's just nice as a dj not to be restricted to slamming it out every time you get behind the decks. After all, we're not always playing peak-of-night sets to sweaty, heaving dancefloors are we?

With the variety offered by minimal, techno, and everything which lies in between, it's possible to play as your emotions take you, often resulting in a far deeper, more involving performance.

Jay Pace
12-10-2008, 09:56 AM
that was one point i didnt quite agree with ya jay - have you seen how big the happy hardcore scene is here in the UK, even today???????? it shits all over techno mate, probably most other styles for the 18-21 age range

hehe its still massive, and fair play to everyone involved in that scene. I went to a few nostalgic happy hardcore raves about 2002 and was suprised to find happy hardcore had mutated into this mad bouncey full on gabba sound. But its a "frozen in time" sound. People fall into it in their teens then grow out of it. The older gen grow out of it and either fall out of dance music altogether or use happy hardcore as a stepping stone to something else. Techno for example. Stacks of techno fans came down the well trodden path from hardcore to TEKNO to techno. But whilst techno fans grow old, happy hardcore seems destined to be forever full of teeny boppers.

Happy hardcore is a sort of phase, a "rights of passage" young ravers go through. There's nobody I know now, despite the claims how "hardcore will never die" who still listens to much it. There was a time and a place....

Its what I love about techno. Still does the tingles for me, but no issues with the mind tickle or the good honest stomp. But I've been happy as larry that in recent years there are producers out there who can whip up a full on stomp at 130bpm without trying to burst my eardrums with distorted noises. Credit to all the producers who made the transition and did it with style.

Barely Human
12-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Music is what it is. Doesnt matter what the arrangement is as long as it stirs something inside you. The difference ive found with techno is it isnt instantly accesable. It grows on you. When I first heard some of my favorite tracks, I didn't think they were anything special. But they got under my skin after a while and these are the tracks which still stir me today.

Most of the music I apprieciate the most is not techno. I love all music for what it is.

Remember, music is not something that can be created, it can only be found. That is to say it was already here, you cant create a new sound, you just discover it.

A lot of things we hear have been done over again through the course of time, speaking of happy hardcore, check this track out from the 1960's and see the similarities to 1996/1997 happy hardcore - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8_UN1Sz4XM

Jay Pace
12-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Thats ace. Strip out the swing, chuck in a few piano rolls, distorted kicks and a few "lets go's" and you're there.

Darkmode
16-10-2008, 10:21 AM
I left that group on facebook as it was full of idiots being negative & bitchy which is a bit childish & immature

tocsin
16-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Yeah I think the whole genre thing annoying I remember the days when it was Electro, Techno, House, Trance & Drum & Bass now there is loads of stupid genre tags for music that is basicly the same

I got no real problems with genrefication. It's just there to help sales/exposure. If people want to make it something defining of them personally, and get huffy when you say you don't particularly like a certain genre, that's where I laugh. Things would be better in that regard if people grew a little bit of a spine again, allowed their sense of humor to develop as a result, and not take any perceived disliking of a sound or style as an attack on their entire life and person.

tocsin
16-10-2008, 04:13 PM

One thing that I've found particularly amusing for the better part of the last decade is that what you say above is something that even needs to be pointed out to another into making techno music. I just don't get it. The one thing that absolutely got me hooked on making "techno" music was the ability to create actual sounds I hadn't heard before which don't occur in nature, and arrange them in ways which aren't really possible under any other circumstances. It was a change from the very beginning, and has largely been a journey of chasing after something exciting and unique from there. In my opinion, not changing it up is exactly the same as change for the worse.

Dorian Hunter
20-10-2008, 07:59 AM
I can`t see why it is called innovative when Techno is getting more and more boring but I guess I`m just ignorant :)

RDR
20-10-2008, 08:55 AM
I work in a college and get to see a lot of kids coming through who like Happy Hardcore... but they also like RnB and Drum and Bass in equal measure. Usually through the sound of tinny sony ericson speakers.

The hardcore scene is MAHOOSIVE and i get the impression its a well run, commercially viable form of entertainment. But then the people who run it obviously realised YEARS ago that it was entertainment - not really an underground scene, but a way for people to enjoy themselves. They started out doing massive events and stuck with it - pleasure island, doncaster dome, destruxion etc etc. Its the dance music equivalent of stadium rock.

@Jay - dont you think most genres of music are stuck in time, one way or another? I do - but thats why people like them i think.

Minimal? - i like it, it works, people enjoy it, there's crap tunes and great tunes. Good production is what counts, vibe and spirit and you'll always get that when a group of musicians get into a sound.

Jay Pace
20-10-2008, 04:01 PM
@Jay - dont you think most genres of music are stuck in time, one way or another? I do - but thats why people like them i think.

Not explained myself well on this at all. Musically its changed loads, the old school hardcore sound mutuated into the utra fast piano rolling breakbeat sound, followed by 4beat followed by fairly hefty gabber styles. Musically it moved with the times. Quite like all of the different styles tbh, but the crowds at hardcore raves seem destined to be forever young (classic choon) and aged 14-20.

After a while you grow out that sound and that atmosphere, and want something different that hardcore can't really provide. Most people I know are the same, wanted a different atmosphere in a club, got more into the music itself etc. Might be a boring old **** but I've had loads more fun going out since music got slower and less in your face... Sometimes you want a full on stomp, but not all the time.

tocsin
21-10-2008, 03:25 PM
I liked it a lot more when I could hear everything in one place.

The Overfiend
21-10-2008, 06:42 PM
You mean Whistle Parties in Pennsauken?

Smear
21-10-2008, 06:45 PM
I liked it a lot more when I could hear everything in one place.

A lot of people say that though, but unfortunately most people's open-mindedness is the exact opposite of what they claim.

Not a personal dig at you obviously, haha.

davethedrummer
21-10-2008, 08:47 PM
I can`t see why it is called innovative when Techno is getting more and more boring but I guess I`m just ignorant :)

techno is NOT getting more and more boring
sorry but that is not true.

tocsin
22-10-2008, 02:45 PM
... Whistle...

Sure, or anything else like that. Perhaps I've got rose tinted glasses on, but music lineups in a lot of the venues/parties around NYC until about the end of the 90s just seemed to incorporate more.

A lot of people say that though, but unfortunately most people's open-mindedness is the exact opposite of what they claim.

Not a personal dig at you obviously, haha.

Yeah. I'm not sure how much it is about open-mindedness vs. being in the know for some though. At least, around NYC, clubs pretty much cater to one sound on a given night. Most of the other parties promoted at them are also one sound events. The more diverse stuff can be harder to find if you're looking in the obvious spots, which is kinda backward.

Patrick DSP
22-10-2008, 04:10 PM
At first, when I saw this group I thought it was just your basic, i hate this shit, my shit is better type of group. But then i read what they were actually saying about minimal music and how it's completly taken over every club and even with prime time slots in clubs and events; it made sense. i'm sorry but for prime time, i'd like to let my hair down and thrash about a bit harder than 130bpm. not to say there isn't a place for minimal, there is. i actually enjoy it, but i enjoy the ability to choose more.

I miss being able to choose what type of music i'd like to listen to when i go out. rather than which minimal or electro house artist i'd like to listen to (again).

So for me, start the war against minimal? damn right i singed up! do i want it to go away all together? hell no! Variety is the spice of life. But, do i want bandwagon dj's to stop trying to cash in on fads? ****ing hell yes.

Jay Pace
22-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Why does everyone assume every punter, dj and producer is "bandwaggoning"

Why aren't people allowed to genuinely like going out, playing and making the stuff?

S.L.U.T Promotions
22-10-2008, 08:59 PM
techno is NOT getting more and more boring
sorry but that is not true.

too right henry....what is that lad on about...is even on the right forum to be saying such comments?!?!?!

just got me a download of sparks to rinse @ S.L.U.T on saturday ;)

crackin track!...not boring ATALL!....inovative to sat the least

S.L.U.T Promotions
22-10-2008, 09:05 PM
At first, when I saw this group I thought it was just your basic, i hate this shit, my shit is better type of group. But then i read what they were actually saying about minimal music and how it's completly taken over every club and even with prime time slots in clubs and events; it made sense. i'm sorry but for prime time, i'd like to let my hair down and thrash about a bit harder than 130bpm. not to say there isn't a place for minimal, there is. i actually enjoy it, but i enjoy the ability to choose more.

I miss being able to choose what type of music i'd like to listen to when i go out. rather than which minimal or electro house artist i'd like to listen to (again).

So for me, start the war against minimal? damn right i singed up! do i want it to go away all together? hell no! Variety is the spice of life. But, do i want bandwagon dj's to stop trying to cash in on fads? ****ing hell yes.

i agree patrick...i play minimal as well as harder stuff...i play a variety of styles (hard/industrial/minimal/electro/dub etc..)because i like to mix it up..im playing minimal and down tempo techno at my event on saturday but the time slot for this is early (2nd set) because it has a place there to build the night up to a peak time style (cue mr mooy)....minimal is not a peak time music (imo)....only for a minimal orientated night (of course).....these bandwagon dj's need to to wake up...there selling themselves short...in the wise words of bill hicks "play from your ****ing heart!"....R.I.P bill hicks

Smear
22-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Well yeah, you could argue that this kind of group is a form of bandwagoning, since it's directly and deliberately opposed to another supposed bandwagon.

It's almost impossible to be completely unaffected by changes in the world around you. Some people will adapt, others will refuse to for the sake of it, and others will make what they think are minimal and reasonable concessions to get by with what they do, be that releasing records, putting on nights or just going out and enjoying themselves.

Situations like the current climate in techno are a lot more complex than a lot of people would like to think, and there are much more than just two stances available.

tocsin
22-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Why does everyone assume every punter, dj and producer is "bandwaggoning"

Why aren't people allowed to genuinely like going out, playing and making the stuff?

Probably depends what region you are in. Around NYC, I've definitely grown a bit sick of it. Over a decade ago, the friends I had who were into minimal would make fun of other people for dancing because they "wouldn't be able to dissect the music." No joke. This wasn't just one douchebag either and they thoroughly believed that, to dissect (aka. appreciate) a track that is "minimal," moving to it would kill that. They considered it the same as adding ketchup to a gourmet meal. Now, in more recent times, add a fair amount of cocaine to that kind of silly snobbery, and the minimal "scene" just gets really dull very quickly.

As for bandwagoning, look into "Minitek" and make your call. You'll find just about any and every complaint made about a style of music or a festival in a number of those review threads, many of which were well earned.

Darkmode
23-10-2008, 06:07 PM
I read an interview with Dave Clarke a few month ago & he said that Minimal does not work at big dance music festvials

koma
23-10-2008, 06:21 PM
you dont need to hear that from clarke
i would tell you the same

Jay Pace
23-10-2008, 07:08 PM
I read an interview with Dave Clarke a few month ago & he said that Minimal does not work at big dance music festvials

I saw him at Sonar 2007

He was awesome, liveset from that is kicking about on the interweb and is full on balls to the wall techno, recommend it highly.

But the rest of the night more or less was minimal. It worked. People were happy. Same with Exit festival last year. Just a different vibe, thats all.

koma
23-10-2008, 07:23 PM
tbh, i heard from most people they were bored to death in dance arena...

Jay Pace
23-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Yeah, some of it was a bit dull. Green Velvet was dead good. But generally, everyone I was with and everyone I met was having fun. Drinking beers, having a laugh with mates, having a bit of a stomp. Was mostly fairly low key stuff with a very different vibe. But people were having fun.

If you only went to listen to the music you'd be bored, but I always felt festivals were more about atmosphere and having a larf than going specifically to listen intently to whoever was playing.

Darkmode
25-10-2008, 02:19 PM
I have respect for Dave Clarke as he is keeping it real & sticking to his guns

marginmaster
25-10-2008, 04:46 PM
i like abit of minimal but going through the weeks techno releases is minimal torture

Radic
26-10-2008, 10:56 AM

just my 2 cents.

good post dude. pretty much sums up what i think about minimal as well :)

MITA
26-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Kill Mini And Listen To Mal
!!!!!!!!! Latest Direction !!!!!!!!!!!!!

TearZ
13-03-2009, 04:35 PM

you know what,

Did you read the anything of group before coming to that conclusion? It's actually pretty silly...Sven Vath as the Cocoon Lord riding a giant elephant into war with the loop techno headz in his spangly hotpants? Whatever next!

DJPAUZE
13-03-2009, 05:02 PM

you know what,

Perfectly put.

The Overfiend
13-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Minimal es no me bag of tea, I said it!

The_Laughing_Man
13-03-2009, 09:28 PM
People as a whole are resistant to change.

davethedrummer
13-03-2009, 09:47 PM
is this post still going?
jesus
anyone would think this is a drum and bass forum or something

can we slag somehing else off please?

no , not me, before you all get started.

The Overfiend
13-03-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm startin the war on slaggin minimal by closin this negative arseed thread

278d7e64a374de26f==