PDA

View Full Version : mastering reverb

rhythmtech
10-10-2008, 07:34 PM
although i understand the premise behind it, ive never had a call to use it until now.
all i want to do is add the slightest touch of atmospheric glue to a track without washing it out too much.

does anyone know what the best reverb type to use is? plate? room?

also where in the chain should it come? logic would dictate after the compressors (but logic doesnt always hold thru with audio production!!)

TechMouse
10-10-2008, 10:44 PM
As I rule I tend to use it as a send effect.

Oh, and less is more.

In fact, what we always used to do is add reverb as a send effect and turn it right down until you're not conscious of it being there. Then take it away completely and listen to the difference. Amazing effect - totally changes the character of a sound.

rhythmtech
10-10-2008, 11:05 PM
unfortunatly you cant use it as a send when mastering in audio editor or on the 2buss in cubase

Erase Techno
10-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Baz, by setting the "mix" control within the reverb parameters on the master buss you will effectiviely achieve the same as using a send control.

You may only want to set the mix between 2-10% as a rough guide, its all depends on the effect you choose, the reverb time and the track etc. Have a good play around for what feels right

stjohn
11-10-2008, 07:05 AM
would it be a common-place practice in techno and other heavy duty mixing styles? im interested... i must give it a shot myself

TechMouse
11-10-2008, 10:02 AM
would it be a common-place practice in techno and other heavy duty mixing styles? im interested... i must give it a shot myself
I'd say so.

Probably the next most important thing to get your head round after compression and distortion.

It suits some styles more than others, obviously.

The_Laughing_Man
11-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Rarely use it in Dance music myself, as dance music mixes tend to be very wet anyway.
I find with good application of compression, nice analog EQ (and of course, tape saturation) the mix saturates and blends nicely without having to add reverb as well.

I use master verb with rock music, particularly as I am never there to record source, so the instruments are rarely recorded and treated in a unifying way, so master verb helps to gel things together.
Most dance music is "made in in one go" and so the sound tends to be, mostly but not always, more tonally coherant.

TechMouse
11-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Ah, hang on - I missed the word mastering here.

No - I can't see why you'd use reverb as a mastering tool.

stjohn
12-10-2008, 05:52 AM
I use master verb with rock music, particularly as I am never there to record source, so the instruments are rarely recorded and treated in a unifying way, so master verb helps to gel things together.
Most dance music is "made in in one go" and so the sound tends to be, mostly but not always, more tonally coherant.

i might have thought the opposite, in the sense that live instruments are recorded in the same space, and virtual instruments are pretty much idiosyncratically designed. i have actually tried some reverbs in mastering stages before, never with any luck. but i just put that down to inexperience on my behalf.

rhythmtech
13-10-2008, 02:03 PM
well ive tried it on on my latest track and it worked quite well - was only about 3/5% on the 2 buss after buss compressor.

i think it would suit certain people like myself as i tend to keep things very dry thru out the mix (as far as reverb is concerned anyway). but i do think its a project by project type of thing.

cheers for the input guys.

DannyBlack
13-10-2008, 05:26 PM
I like a touch of 'verb to fill the space between kicks on a slow track.

278d7e64a374de26f==