PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Deviant - 'Live' 64

Little_Fella!
24-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Finally managed to get chance to post up since the return of Steve D-Bass and am looking forward to more of the good advice you guys have given me on this forum so far... :;

This is written as a section filler for playing live with a new name as 'Dynamic Deviant' or 'Ben Deviant' perhaps.... hence its length and simplicity - - I've been listening to quite alot of House music variations lately and feel this is structured similarly, with a slightly oldschool clonky fashioning, but holding it within' the '3 minute wonder' context as this is generally the length you would play a track before moving on in the mix to keep crowd interest...

I keeping liking this and then not liking it at all and I think a mid/hi synth note would complete the elements in the mix progression wise...

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=43576956db065934ab1eab3e9fa335ca756b11ea 64f5d8cb

Feedback most welcome ... :cool:

rhythmtech
24-10-2008, 10:53 PM
got some wikid stab sounds going on there man, very jackin (which is the house elements you were talking about coming in)

it needs a little something as you said and i think the mix could be brightened up a little aswell. maybe something with the bass too, its a little static, could roll about a touch as a juxtaposition to the static claps.

sounding cool though, keep us updated.

Little_Fella!
24-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Your very right about the static nature of the mix and certainly the brightness is something to look at - - I'm trying to make sure I don't pump too much 'air' in as this will show up too bright on a rig - - reckon I need to be quite precise as to the 'where' frequency wise...

I have just played the kinda juxtaposition the claps would need in ma head, and probably some more movement with the claps too, so big up on that advice... cheers for that Rythmtech... :cool:

fils_here
26-10-2008, 01:16 PM
nice funky start there, good intro on the bassline & other elements, came in well, got wot ya mean with 16's 32's ;-) some nice changes. liking the feel of this tune.

p_brane
27-10-2008, 03:10 PM
querky and jackin. i like this.

mix sound well balanced and clear. i think you could be right about an extra couple of synth notes going on.

as Rt says maybe brighten things up a little.

should work well as a filler mate.

Siege
29-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Good shit Ben..........as said, nice quirky feel going on, your stuffs getting better every time i listen, reckon its the most Techno techno one uve done imo, if u know what i mean?
Id add a mean synth section in there somewhere, some pads or something,......not through out, just something in there to make it stand out.......make it a proper tune instead of just a filler, tooly type?

stjohn
01-11-2008, 04:31 PM
yep indeedy! funky shit man! as cal said some synth line or even a growler bass would fill it out a bit more. good work man

Little_Fella!
02-11-2008, 08:03 AM
Thank you for the listen there - - much appreciated :) this new mix is done on headphones at work so the changes may be outta balance a bit...

http://www.mediafire.com/?nyykvtnaujk

@ Fils - - cheers for that n glad the structure gives some pointers for you

@ p_brane - - have worked on the brightness n there is a simple synth note now to add another layer ( not sure its the best option for now - but am outta time ;)

@ Siege - - cheers for the encouraging words there - - it's nice to know some progress is being made ! :; ... have introduce more into the mix along the lines mentioned, so hopefully it is a bit closer to a stand alone track, as you say...

@ stjohn - - and thank you too for the encouragement - - I think perhaps the growler bass idea would polish this mix off nicely if I place it neatly somewhere's, giving the track a final element of progression... groovy :cool:

BloodStar
02-11-2008, 01:28 PM
the second version sounds better, imo. more beefy in the bottom end. yes, i like it. very funky, with knda oldschool feel.
production seems to be good. personally i would make some of the lead sounds tad more prominent, maybe add compression + bit of verb to wet them bit more.
nice track, anyway.

Little_Fella!
09-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Cheers for your input there Vladsta... I'll have a look at the lead sounds as they are a bit static, as has been mentioned - - which is what the problem is i think...

I actually was testing to see if this track sits better at 130bpm n i cant make my mind up as to whether it does but from what you say, it is sounding more chunky than before... hmmmmm :cool:

dirty_bass
12-11-2008, 05:43 PM
righto me old mucka.
Finally found myself an hour to do another production critique session.

Straight into it.

Give the kick a bit more welly. I`d say you can give it another 1-1.5 db in the mix.

The bass is very very subby, and knowing your monitors, you aren`t quite getting the right representation on them for something this low.
You can bring the sub level up about a db also.

More stereo in general on various sounds would give this even more space and size, seeing as the mix is fairly minimal.

I think your "lead" sounds can still be more prominent wthin the mix also, you`ve been a touch too subtle in placing them.

I`m still waiting for something to grab me and take me off, and it never gets there.
I think you could still do with a proper lead "hook"

Maybe a detroit like stab, or a ravey riff, or some kind of chordal groove.
Something to give the track a defined identity.

Loving all the clap shuffles.

Little_Fella!
15-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Nice one charver...

All pointers duly noted - - I had actually had another go at this but aaaam gonna shuffle back to one's drawing board for another swiffle... !!

I must say that all the input so far seems to be taking this track from being a filler to becoming much more of a proper tune, as was mentioned earlier, and I am really enjoying the process, this being my first real go at anything for a good while... cheers :cool:

dirty_bass
18-11-2008, 08:56 AM
No tune should be approached as "filler" in my opinion.
Whenever you attempt to climb the mountain, always head for the top.

Jay Pace
21-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Yo benjy!

Production is really coming along. Mix sounds fuller and fatter, and the balance is much stronger. Individual patterns are sounding more intricate, and there's a nice groove going on. Sounds a little dry on the FX, could do with some more space in the track and movement but overall my main comments are to do with the arrangement and the structure.

Caveat that this is subjective, and needs to be taken as a personal opinion (and with a pinch of salt) but for me you need some more focus on this one, how it progresses, what element is driving, what part is in charge etc. There's lots of cool elements, but they don't seem to gel for me, I can't tell whats driving the track and I sort of zone out a bit. There's lots of cool layers that build and sit on top of each other but it sounds a little jumbled and without any clear direction. Maybe strip back to the dominant layers and have the other layers support, or play one layer off against another but as is sounds a little unstructured.

I've been listening to stuff differently lately. I got soooo absorped in trying to emulate the "sound" of records I loved and frustrations at not being able to get my production skills to a standard where I would emulate the feel of certain records, I overlooked structure. Now whenever I listen to stuff I start mentally deconstructing tracks down into al their components, their patterns and seeing how they work together to form a groove, how themes are allowed to dominate then recede, how tracks get their drive essentially.

Hope that makes some sense mate.

Little_Fella!
22-11-2008, 12:57 AM
Yes it does make sense matey... and I have been studying tracks of all different styles, from pop music to House to nasty wierd things that I don't quite understand yet and pinpointing why they work as opposed to those that don't...

I get exactly your point on structure and layers - - this track needs one more main final element to reach the top hook and round the tune off... I'm kinda subconsciously moving away from your normal structure but also trying to stay within the boundaries that we are familiar with... hence the strange 'middle ground' I think your feeling.... what ya reckon??

Cheers on the progress report too - - as I am pleased with this maself and am gaining confidence now and developing some excitement which will transfer more energy into my creativity... really good feedback that :cool:

278d7e64a374de26f==