PDA

View Full Version : Questions questions

Tyrisia
24-01-2003, 03:12 AM
I'm just sittin here listenin 2 a umek mix through my monitors, n I'm wonderin how these guys get such fullness of sound into their records, mine sound positively weedy in comparison n it's doin me head in - can anyone shed some lite please :?

Nomak
24-01-2003, 03:48 PM
What monitors do you have?

Tyrisia
24-01-2003, 05:04 PM
Spirit Absolute 2

DJZeMig_L
27-01-2003, 01:26 AM
Hey...
I guessthat is eventually 4 all of us the mother of all questions!?

first thing comes from yer mixing, general tricks r little bit of panning on absolutly everything (xcept bass and bd), a very good mix, without 2 much dynamics,... by that I mean I should still b lively and spunky.. but without huge intensity (volume) differences... Another thing is u should have a diverse pan on sounds BUT try not 2 make it 2 wide as it will make u sound louder, ie... u get enougth "space" for yer sounds while have yer sounds closer 2 the center will make u percieve it as louder!
Also is very important the way u eq. bass and Drums on yer tunes... most people thing that u have a good thumpin bass they need 2 crank everything around 80hz!!! But actually if u cut bellow 60-80hz and then notch a little somewhere between 130- 50 HZ u'll get a ver Loud defined bass that seats nicelly in any heavy pumpin mix!! Reduce every sounds range 2 the very essencial!!
I guess this is all old information 4 ya, but its never 2 much 2 get down some basics first!

... Next stage .. pre-master...
I generally go for a non- abusive multicompressor (Waves C4, Akai), not more than a mere 2,5db comp, I like 2 use BBE sonic maximizer just a tad of bass proc. and a little less of highs.. (mainly because my mixes tend 2 sound a little much on the mid-range)- as far as I can figure this excitess and processes yer sound so that high and bass become in perfect alignment again 'cause these have a natural tendency 2 bcome slightly delayed from 1 another, Now its time 4 some eq. I generally use some shelving eq to cut around 12db or 15 around 32hz, Why? Bcause most PA systems can't go lower than 50 hz.. so all the bass that doesn't get reproduced won't clutter the reprodution around 50-60hz! ***
then it's time for a little stereo spread (not 2 much or it will make it sound distant/ "reverberated")... this also gives a little shine and airness 2 yer sound....

Remove DC
Normalise

end of process : Waves L2 with dithering... reduction of not more than 3db reduction!!

After all this it better help lol :P

*** there is a very good processor (that takes sometime 2 master without ruining yer pre-masters) ... waves Maxx Bass. What It does is that it removes the low low end and substitutes it with upper harmonics, so it increases yer perception of bass in your mixes removing some of the overpresence in the freq. where it clutters everything!! Xpecially good 4 bass sounds... very carefull when using on yer total mix.... although it is a good move!

NOW WHAT REALLY GIVES IT THE FINAL SOUND IS A REALLY MF GOOD MASTERING 4 VINYL RELEASE.... Tha best around is Nilz @ The Exchange!

Z

JACKSTAR
27-01-2003, 02:46 AM
Hey Ze,

Are you working on commision for Nilz at the Exchange or what ? Personally I prefer Lawrie (AKA Pounding Grooves)@ Curve Pusher, you'll also find a lot of producers are switching from the Exchange to Curve Pusher now for there mastering !!

P.

www.jackstar-recordings.com

www.paullangley.net

MARKEG
27-01-2003, 04:41 AM
hahahahha

yes paul, i have to say i prefer lawrie at the mo.

he does alot of the harder edge of techno stuff and makes it sound really raw, loud and warehouse style. nils is alot cleaner with his cuts.

if you're into the primate sound and a clean cut - go with nils

pif you're into the harder edge, go with lawrie

that's my 2 cents...

Tyrisia
27-01-2003, 02:16 PM
Cheers MigL, that's really helpful, as I'm pretty new to all this it'll take a while to get me head round all that u mentioned, but hopefully will lead to better things in the longrun. :D

DJZeMig_L
27-01-2003, 04:24 PM
ehehehh... Yeah how do ya think I got my Ferarri!! :P ....lol

Nah really this is maybe because I talk 2 much with Cisco if u look @ most of the big boys (not passing any judgement on them being great or crap!) most of them have used Nilz and swear by his work! Now the guy U've mentioned I've never heard of... But I've heard about Curve Pusher and it's all good things, also I remember when I started Fined Rec. asking the ppl @ Integrale 2 use curve pusher, still they didn't care so I got stuck with bloody mpo! :(

But taking yer guys word I guess U've summed it all up preatty well.

Lawrie seems a good name 2 investigate and probably more towards my cup 'o..

Has 2 changing mastering 2 CP, I would dare say that some of ' em r even changing distrib. !!!

PS- Honestly thank u 4 let me know another very valueable resource!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==