PDA

View Full Version : Get Your Label On Beatport

djvitamind
29-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Hey Guys,

Its been a while. If this is posted in the wrong forum my apologies in advance.

I wanted to let you know I am a now digital distributor to Beatport.com:
Some Cutz Up Aggregation

So if you have a label and want to get on there feel free to hit me up for more info.
You can find the basics here:

http://www.somecutzup.com

Click on "Digital Distribution". There is a pdf with all the information.

Thanks,
Derrick

Jay Pace
29-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Are you the same vitamind who wrote "that latin track"?

Man, I loved that track. Was a secret weapon for years....

djvitamind
29-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Are you the same vitamind who wrote "that latin track"?

Man, I loved that track. Was a secret weapon for years....

That's me man! Always good to hear feedback!

Jay Pace
29-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Sent you a pm :)

mattboyslim
30-10-2008, 01:48 PM
interesting. Was just about to start a thread about Digital Distribution. I will anyway, but i'll pass your details onto Cascabel Records as he's been trying to tap into Beatport for some time

The Overfiend
30-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Definitely

loopdon
03-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Bigups!

The_Laughing_Man
04-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Looks kinda good
but

Fees
 20% charge for service
 40% charge by Beatport for non exclusive contract
 6% Allowed expenses charge by Beatport (comprised of credit card
processing fees, Bandwidth and storage fees etc.)

Though I think it`s understandable distributers must take a fee, it looks liike the digital revolution that was in our favour is now turning back into the same screw the musician format we have had from here to eternity.

46% to beatport, owch.

You must make at least $300.00 USD each quarter or your label will
be terminated by Beatport. This is standard for all accounts.

This is standard for beatport as far as I know, all aggregators have to deal with this policy, just be aware of this kiddies.
far as I know.

I`m not knocking somecutzup, their 20% take is reasonable, and about the average, and they are peeps who understand what being an artist/producer is.

Unfortunately places like beatport, as soon as they have a nice fat market share, behave the same as any other corporation.

Will these days ever end?

djvitamind
04-11-2008, 03:09 PM
I know what you mean. If the label does 3000.00 a quarter then Beatport only takes 35% and you are no longer charged the 6% allowable expenses.

But yeah, 46% is a ton. But there are no costs upfront. At least nothing to manufacture. That right there is a major time saver.

The_Laughing_Man
04-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Sure no manufacturing, which supposedly gives US the Artists more power, but at the same time, a bunch of middle men and leaches are cut out of the process, so the percentage should be fairer.

That`s just not how it works though is it?
The music industry will always be filled with rapists as long as there are enough people desperate enough to pull down their pants and turn their asses in the air.

Shame innit.

rhythmtech
04-11-2008, 03:19 PM
But yeah, 46% is a ton. But there are no costs upfront. At least nothing to manufacture. That right there is a major time saver.

so whats the advantage of beatport over djdownloads and TrackItDown? - both have better reputations for techno, both take less of a cut and both treat you 10 times better.

The_Laughing_Man
04-11-2008, 03:20 PM
beatport hold a big market share.

They are the largest outlet for dance music.

rhythmtech
04-11-2008, 03:22 PM
means piss all to me :-)

anyway, all i ever hear are complaints about how beatport cant even recognise the differance between minimal and techno, how they charge too much for downloads and how the new UI is a nightmare. i think ill give em a miss for now.

Jay Pace
04-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Beatport is loads cheaper than other retail sites if you buy outside the UK. Half the price in many cases.

Trackitdown works out twice as expensive for me for the same tracks, which pretty much makes beatport the only option worth considering.

I have no idea why this is, seems pretty stupid. But so long as its like that you're probably missing out on sales by not being on beatport.

The_Laughing_Man
04-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Well it`ll all about exposure to the largest market.
Beatport has the large market share, so they can throw their weight around.
If your label has commerical potential then getting onto beatport can be very helpful, but it isn`t the end of the world, and I`m not sure it`s worth getting pumped up the bum for.
I think for techno outside of the minimal genre it might not matter so much, cos the market is small enough where the enthusiasts will go looking for it rather than be lazy and just search one outlet.
I dunno, at one point I had my vinyl getting sold at HMV, which was great, but I`m not so sure how much it helped sales for the kinda techno I was doing.
The biggest outlet isn`t always the best.

rhythmtech
04-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Beatport is loads cheaper than other retail sites if you buy outside the UK. Half the price in many cases.

Trackitdown works out twice as expensive for me for the same tracks, which pretty much makes beatport the only option worth considering.

I have no idea why this is, seems pretty stupid. But so long as its like that you're probably missing out on sales by not being on beatport.

not anymore under their new price structure :hissyfit:

rhythmtech
04-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Well it`ll all about exposure to the largest market.
Beatport has the large market share, so they can throw their weight around.
If your label has commerical potential then getting onto beatport can be very helpful, but it isn`t the end of the world, and I`m not sure it`s worth getting pumped up the bum for.
I think for techno outside of the minimal genre it might not matter so much, cos the market is small enough where the enthusiasts will go looking for it rather than be lazy and just search one outlet.
I dunno, at one point I had my vinyl getting sold at HMV, which was great, but I`m not so sure how much it helped sales for the kinda techno I was doing.
The biggest outlet isn`t always the best.

totally. i cant see beatport doing anything for damaged trax. we're too small a label, we'd just get lost in the pack on beatport i reckon.

djvitamind
04-11-2008, 03:56 PM
so whats the advantage of beatport over djdownloads and TrackItDown? - both have better reputations for techno, both take less of a cut and both treat you 10 times better.

Sales. I used to be with INgrooves almost 2 years ago. I had my labels on hundreds of stores. 90% of sales were from Beatport. I am sure it has changed a little but I can't imagine that much.

djvitamind
04-11-2008, 03:59 PM
totally. i cant see beatport doing anything for damaged trax. we're too small a label, we'd just get lost in the pack on beatport i reckon.

Not the case at all man. If its good and stands out it will sell. I worked at Beatport for almost 2 years and saw the trends.

You provide a solid release schedule with solid tracks your stuff will sell.

The_Laughing_Man
04-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Not the case at all man. If its good and stands out it will sell. I worked at Beatport for almost 2 years and saw the trends.

You provide a solid release schedule with solid tracks your stuff will sell.

There you go.
Unfortunately, you do have to turn your ass in the air and except a little cock.

Difficult choice.
But I agree, beatport hold the power.

boooooooooo:hissyfit:

Dave Elyzium
04-11-2008, 04:26 PM
PM'd you

Jay Pace
04-11-2008, 04:40 PM
not anymore under their new price structure :hissyfit:

Hmmmm
They've changed the pricing to dollars....

But the first track listed (soulmate - roots) costs $2.40 on trackitdown and $1.49 on beatport.

Guy McAffer - blow your horn: Beatport $1.99, Trackitdown $2.40

You can't be the smaller player and charge a load more for exactly the same track, delivered in the same method at the same quality. Its madness.

If two record shops opened up next door to each other, one selling records for a fiver and another selling exactly the same for 8 pounds who would you go with?

As a consumer you would even bother walking into the more expensive store. And as a businessman, you'd be more inclined to shift 100 units with the cheaper store than 5 in the more expensive store.

I prefer the idea of track it down to bumraping beatports behemoth, but the pricing just makes no sense. You can't sell an identical product with a 50-100% markup when the same product is a available cheaper just a mouse click away.

The_Laughing_Man
04-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Sometimes you have to support the little guy, and the price, is price.

It`s the same as buying local produce from small retailers and paying more, or, paying less and going to Tesco, or Asda or whoever, and paying less, but supporting bastards in the process.

Beatport can keep the price down, because their take is higher.
So you save money, but in the end you support a system that is essentially a continuation of the system that has been shafting artists since the days of elvis.
The digital revolution is SUPPOSED to be moving things more into our favour.

My fear and dissapointment is that most people won`t care. The music industry gets away with these things, because too many people are willing to face the wall and drop pants to get their little fix of success.

Jay Pace
04-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Most people don't care. Thats why the russian sites selling albums for a dollar do so well, and why allofmp3 was until recently the third biggest source of uk net traffic.

Inside communities of artists I can see why people should care - support each other etc. But then I'd expect most artists to be able to sell direct as well, and do business that way. Nothing stopping them if they're under non-exclusive contracts.

From a consumer point of view - how are they to know that beatport rapes the artist harder than trackitdown? Just looks like poor pricing to most people.

Factor in the truth that plenty of people (outside the west) don't have the dosh to spend on paying an extra dollar a track in the hope that more of it goes to the artist. I'm quite impressed that people buy tracks here at all.

Still waiting for a russian style mp3 aggregator to spring up, that just pays all artists directly minus hosting costs. A sort of "artists direct" collective distribution/sales point. If I had the brains or the finance I'd do it myself...

278d7e64a374de26f==