PDA

View Full Version : will an analog mixer improve my sound

j_s
01-11-2008, 03:51 AM
im looking to get more crunch and analog fullness in my mixes and am thinking about getting a mackie 802vlz3 or something like that to run my tracks through.
will using analog eqs n running tracks hot actually make a noticable difference to the sound of my mixes?
niceone
jack

Barely Human
01-11-2008, 01:09 PM
It wont make a bad mix sound great. I had the makie 1604, I tended to use it for subtle distortion on my bottom end and it worked quite well. Ive yet to find a digital plugin that gets that warm analog distortion quite right on the bottom end. Plus I didnt need a radiator in my room when that thing was running, kept me right warm in winter.

What is your current setup like? The is not much point unless you have a decent sound card and monitors.

dirty_bass
01-11-2008, 02:05 PM
No
Running all your tracks hot isn`t a good idea really, and not what you want to do to add some subtle warmth and presence. Overdriving isn`t exactly the right type of distortion.

Unless you get a real top end tube based mixer.

I always found mackie to be a little sharp and precise, and low end mackie gear will give low end results.

If you just want to use something to track through and add warmth, maybe something like this would be better
http://www.tlaudio.co.uk/docs_07/product_07/Fat_Track.shtml

The HHB Fat Man 2 might also be good to add some valve to your sound.
Check ebay for some old gear.

On a budget you might try something like PSP Vintage warmer or IKM T-Racks
or the many other valve saturators out there.
Plugins don`t really get it right, but they come damn close, and this might be the better option for you.

stjohn
01-11-2008, 02:22 PM
my romantic view of analogue mixing was quickly rectified when we bought a desk. we have an A&H pa12, and i did some mixing tests. if anything it caused more trouble than not. getting down and dirty with parametric EQs can be a tough task, especially when trying to squeeze in a lot of sound. plus your dedicating yourself to a mixdown... that cant be changed at a later stage.

running stuff in hot can add alot of noise to the mix too. the one thing i did seem to like was for top end kicks.. the overdrive can sound nice, and sometimes the noise added is desirable. instead of a desk.. maybe a distortion unit or tube compressor or something might be more your cup of tea?

as steve said, PSP stuff is really nice. the PSPmixpack2 can really warm up stuff if you use group tracks. saturate the low elements together, mid elements together... etc

j_s
01-11-2008, 05:51 PM
well ive got a pretty decent soundcard, m-audio 410.
my monitors are ok and my mixdowns are good in the sense that they are pretty clear and balanced (ive had this verified when ive gone to mastering studios). im not so worried about a 'good' mix, cos i think ive got that sorted. i just want some more rawness and dirt, without sacrificing punch too much.
im thinking about the sound you hear in old uk hardcore tracks, pre 94 jungle etc. and lots of 88-92 house and late 90s dark garage. everything is just crunchyier. less sheen but grittier. i know things like sampler bitrates and using analog gear from the start is key, but im thinking short of going fully hardware, there has to be some middle ground to getting that lo fi ness.
tube units sound interesting, gonna look into them more. i have a tube guitar pedal but that sucks the punch n sub out of everything (works nice as a send tho). i take it units like the Fat Man are much more subtle?
im gonna have to find some A/Bs methinks. niceone!!

josephjobling
01-11-2008, 09:23 PM
try (and i know i keep goimg on about this plug in - but i love it) d16 devastor on a quite subtle setting it will give the type of analouge feel you described i use it for just that reason (the 88-92 house feel)

j_s
02-11-2008, 12:55 PM
ta - been meaning to check that out for a while actually...
do you slap it over the whole mix?

josephjobling
03-11-2008, 02:20 AM
i have done and it sounds nice - or just on individual tracks - depends on how i feel

278d7e64a374de26f==