PDA

View Full Version : Acoustics help please!

RDR
02-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi Folks

We need to sort out the room we are making a studio in, here is a picture of the room.

The left wall with the speakers is plaster on brick.
The right wall is plaster with chip wood wallpaper
The back wall has a door to the right of the shelves
the front wall has a window offset to the left.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t58/dodgyedgy/c27e5297.jpg

we were planning to build a rockwool basstrap beind the seating on the wall. Im not entirely sure what we need behidn the monitors.

Any ideas, criticism (constructive) will be gratefully recieved!

Regards

The Pure Techno/R3tox Boys..

p_brane
02-11-2008, 09:11 PM
always nice to have a cooker next to your keyboard for that all important brew:lol:

be interested in the comments, just moved my stuff into a dedicated room similar to this shape. i have a window directly behind my monitors though not facing. never been able to find any info on what effect that has on the sound.

rhythmtech
02-11-2008, 09:45 PM
the monitors ideally should be placed along one of the shorter walls (the one where the keybord is would be ideal.

tonyc2002
02-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Ideally, you want hard smooth reflective surfaces opposite absorbent surfaces, angled walls to help break up standing waves (or diffusers if its not practical), aborbent panels behind the monitors. I did some shit on acoustics as part of my degree last year, but f**k me....I felt like I was doing a physics course by the end of it.

*Found this useful...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec07/articles/acoustics.htm

maily
02-11-2008, 11:55 PM
thanks for help peeps. will shift it all round 90deg

rhythmtech
03-11-2008, 12:00 AM
dont forget to get some good heavy curtains on the windows as the reflections will be a bitch otherwise.

herman
03-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Definitely want to fire the sound down the length of the room rather than width way's and if your being really anal about it the optimal listening position will be 37% of the total length of the room from the wall you will be facing. As RT says though you will need to cover that window or your first reflections will be a nightmare.

dirty_bass
03-11-2008, 01:01 AM
yep, cover the window (venetian blinds also work)
then scatter panels on the walls either side of the listening position to cut reflections.
Absorbers behind the monitors, and also at the mirror points. (ie, if the walls were glass on either side of the listening position, scatter panels need to be on the walls where you would see the reflection of the monitors)

Posibbly some panels above the listening position, you might think about bass traps, or make your own rockwool bass traps.

Shelves and stuff to make surfaces unsymetrical are great

SlimboyPhatt
03-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi Folks

We need to sort out the room we are making a studio in, here is a picture of the room.

The left wall with the speakers is plaster on brick.
The right wall is plaster with chip wood wallpaper
The back wall has a door to the right of the shelves
the front wall has a window offset to the left.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t58/dodgyedgy/c27e5297.jpg

we were planning to build a rockwool basstrap beind the seating on the wall. Im not entirely sure what we need behidn the monitors.

Any ideas, criticism (constructive) will be gratefully recieved!

Regards

The Pure Techno/R3tox Boys..

Ez Bro.

What CAD software did you use for that. It looks mint.
Would be really handy for my project studio when i move in a month. :)

Cheers

RDR
03-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Hi folks

Thanks for the input...

we used google's sketchup

its free.

EDIT: actually maily used it... im shit with it.

props maily!!!

tonyc2002
14-11-2008, 11:49 AM
If you can get access to a half decent condenser microphone you should be able to EQ the room too.

Set up the microphone in the listening position (where you would sit) and then send a pink noise signal through the monitors.

Record what the microphone hears onto an audio track in your sequencer (don't monitor the track whilst recording unless you want horrendous feedback).

Analyse what the microphone picked up in a spectrograph and you will then be able to see if there are any major dips or peaks in the frequency range. If there are you can adjust (depending on your setup) the EQ on your monitors or better still, a graphic EQ that sits between your soundcard and monitors to try to achieve a flat EQ response. Note, if there are massive dips its probably because your speakers are out of phase.

This method is not as effective as attenuating the room modes but its quite a useful, easy thing to do.

The_Laughing_Man
14-11-2008, 03:11 PM
You`ll really want a stereo mic for that to be fully effective

278d7e64a374de26f==