PDA

View Full Version : Acidizer - Reshoot/Stretch

J Raninen
03-11-2008, 10:50 AM
So, here's two of my latest tracks. Any kind of advice productionwise would be nice. Format: 192kbps, mp3, stereo.

A bit more straightforward and technoish 303 track, 130bpm:
http://www.elisanet.fi/acidizer303/Acidizer-ReshootDemo.MP3

And then more oldschoolish acid-house track, 125 bpm:
http://www.elisanet.fi/acidizer303/Acidizer-StretchDemo.MP3

ORIS
04-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Downloading now mate, will report back! ;-)

ORIS
04-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Nice mate. Got right into both of these!!! More so with Reshoot, just had a nice savage acid feel about, nice n harsh main riff that's not to demanding but sounds sweet. Loved the break as well, although I think it could have done with a bit more of a build up imo.

Good stuff mate, and welcome to BoA!

:clap:

Little_Fella!
11-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Tell you what this is great acid this... have listened to it on headphones so far and would prefer to look at any production bits when on mi monitors - - that being that I couldn't spot anything on the headphones

Loooooove the acid-riff on Reshoot as I remember and overall you have accomplished a very polished and richly rewarding acid sound... :)

...not too sure when I start hearing straight up 'cowbell' etc. within the percussion, albeit synonymous with the sound and obviously integrates with the retro track - - which is very well done for that platform - - this is the 21st century and perhaps you may more interesting sound palettes available for you to choose from these days... :; this jus being a personal opinion from a techno point of view

Great stuff and will comment again....:cool:

dirty_bass
12-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Welcome to BOA

Nice use of Acid, yummy.

My critical opinion, for what it is worth

Track 1.

Major issue for me is the kick not really standing out of the mix.
It seems to soft and gets lost in the mix when things get busy.
A touch of compression, and a general level increase will help loads.

The top end might dominate the mix a little too much, pushing up the kick might address this, but I`d say they can come down just a touch.

I`d suggest using the stereo field a little more to give the mix more room to breathe

The 303`s could maybe be pushed up in the mix a touch.
303`s always cause problems due to the cutoff when opened pushing the high end levels.
I`d automate the 303 volume so that you can increase level when the cutoff is low, and pull it back when high.
You can control this with compression, but I feel it never works properly as it messes up the scream of the resonance.

I like it, good bit of groovy acid ala Hardfloor.

Track 2....

Again I think the kick could be a bit larger in the mix.
This mix is a little more spacious than previous, so it sounds a bit more together, although there is still some overlying tightness to the mix.
I would try to space sounds out a little more using good subtractive EQ and the stereo field, as this has a very analog feel (in fact, sounds like you`ve used some hardware to my ears???) it needs more space to emphasise this.

StoQ
14-11-2008, 01:29 PM
nice tracks :) i'm not huge fan of 303 acid but likin it.

Little_Fella!
15-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Definitely sounds like the hardware is involved in this outing - - I'm not a purist kit user at all but this has analogue written all over it - - very rich lovely sound - - also some really good programming and rhythm changes going on here to boot... :)

Definitely loosing the kick in the mix as you build so I reckon some layering is needed to add top end click and punch to it so it punches through more....

what I'm thinking is because you are using kit - i.e. the claps n stuff sound the original drum machine one's, your limited when layering, say to place a lower end clap underneath the one you have to fill it out... make them more chunky to go alongside the fullness of your main riff and acid sounds etc.

I reckon as well that the atmosphere parts you have put in are really good for the kinda dark uplifting side to this track, they set the mood perfectly, and I reckon you should use them more throughout - - placed well this will keep that layer available for the crowd to feed on - holding the mood balance... :cool:

Tell you what, the classic acid build from starting from 3.50min and then 5 mins to the top! !works soooooooo well - - wonderful to enjoy it once again :cheese:

J Raninen
15-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Great! Nice to see, that people have actually listened the tracks :)

Thanks to all for commenting, must put a little more effort to those tracks before sending them anywhere. Actually, the comments here have been the most professional so far, in some other forums the people always get stuck on the "303 is so last season" -thing and then forget to comment anything else :) The lack of original ideas is a whole another story...

And yes, the 303-lines are always from the real machines, that sound just cannot be fully emulated, IMO. In drumlines i usually use a lot of software, though not always. I'm trying to use the SW & HW combo to get the best of the both worlds. But as Little Fella! said, i got some real work ahead to update the sound to the 21st century, i'll keep that in mind in the future.

Little_Fella!
15-11-2008, 10:40 PM
We are a keen bunch in here so cheers for the complements too...

On the subject of '303' been done before - blah blah - - for me if a groove is a good groove and the 303's are done well then that is what matters... tempo is all important too - - I heard a chappie say that his dj friend in Austrailia dropped the old Adonis track 'The Poke' and didn't pitch it up at all - - the crowd went mental and these are younger folk that wont have really known the track from first time around - - good acid is good acid at the end of the day... so keep it up ! :;

Do feel free to comment on other peoples tracks in here, and not jus those who comment on yours either... this forum is about building knowledge to make our music better - - so it's definitely the more the merrier :) groovy :cool:

Jay Pace
21-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Man, I loved both of these. Really, really impressive work.
A sort of cross between hardfloor and steve rachmad.

Arrangement is accomplished, sound is warm and rich and the structure of flow of each track is well designed. Great work.

To my ears, the mix is balanced and with no glaring errors. Definitely do well to take the advice on the finer points of the mix - there are some very well trained ears giving advice here, but for me this mix sounds great and you could send this off to be mastered without there being any major issues.

Welcome to BOA.

Slink
05-12-2008, 01:07 AM
Hi, haven't been on BOA in months and thought i'd look in to see what I've been missing out on - then i heard these tracks and thought to myself - damn I wish I'd made them!

I just love the first tune - it's really getting close to a balance between old skool euphoric 303 lines and new production values.
I have to say I don't agree about pushing the levels on the 303, the dynamics work in this context as they compliment the crescendos on the track.
My only small criticism is that there are some really subtle end of bar fills that are sorely underused, and the overall track ends up having a slightly too linear feel.

The second track sounds totally like it was made back in the day, which is great but guys you're right, it needs to be dragged into the 21st century otherwise it's potential is lost.

Just read through all that chatter and realised it's late and I'm waffling.

Anyway excellent tunes, well done!

278d7e64a374de26f==