PDA

View Full Version : How Jaded Are You About Techno?

tekara
07-11-2008, 04:36 PM
I gotta ask an honest question. I've been cast under the techno spell for the past 11 years and to this day, I have not found another form of electronic music that makes me feel the way I do, other than techno.

Now my main question is this. How many people are open to other forms of electronic music and sincerely mean it?

I'm gonna be totally honest. When I have friends that come over and listen to Bob Sinclair or bad electro-house, i'm cringing inside, but of course I don't say a word because i'm trying to be polite. However, I am trying to gauge whether or not I am the only one that feels this way and takes music too personally, or whether I should be open to other forms of music, even if it means it is cheezy club music.

I know I should always be open to new forms of electronic music, but I can't help but feel jaded in electronic music when it comes to techno. By the way, I'm only speaking about electronic music in general. I personally love hip hop, rock, jazz and other forms of music. I'm just speaking specifically about EDM in general. I don't rain on people's parades when it comes to music, and I usually keep my opinions of techno to myself. But I can't control how I feel.

Am I officially jaded?

Electrictribe
07-11-2008, 04:39 PM
20 yrs on and still loving the techno. I am into lots of different electronic music. Acid House, Oldskool, 93 breakbeat hardcore, Jungle, D&B, Electro, Hip hop, Dubstep, Reggae, Breaks, is all good, especially all in one set, lieka bit of variety.

Numeric
07-11-2008, 05:20 PM
i've always loved other forms of electronic music, hardcore techno, drum n bass, tech-house

personally, the feeling i get from listening to a sick tech drum n bass tune is pretty much the same as the feeling i get from a poundin techno track

djfilthmonger
07-11-2008, 05:23 PM
i like a lot of electronic music except house and a lot of minimal. lot of friends like house and minimal. so i know the cringe thing ur talking about.try not to get to me usally doesnt ... house bores the pance of me and sounds cheesy and slow , i dont think ill ever get it to, some people think people who like techno like house,hard house , hardcore, but this is certainly not the case.

rhythmtech
07-11-2008, 06:20 PM
good music is good musci whatever the genre.

my collection has techno, house, d'n'b, hardcore, punk, soul, indie, rock, pop and everything and anything inbetween.

to limit yourself musically is to cease learning musically.

distek
08-11-2008, 12:18 AM
No other music makes me feel like techno does, its in a league of its own. but its most definately not the only form of EDM that ticks my boxes. like you said good music is good music whateva the genre.

TechMouse
08-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Am I officially jaded?

Well, if you only like Techno then that's a bit weird, but I'd be very surprised if that's the case.

Do you like Aphex Twin for example? I mean, he has a massive Techno edge to him but he crosses a lot of boundaries.

DannyBlack
08-11-2008, 10:55 AM

my collection has techno, house, d'n'b, hardcore, punk, soul, indie, rock, pop and everything and anything inbetween.

I have to agree with Baz on this, well produced music in any genre grabs me.

clubsynthetic
09-11-2008, 05:45 AM
Its actually quite funny how much you can wind folk up when you tell them the music they are in to is shit.

DannyBlack
09-11-2008, 10:17 AM
It's true. The Mnml heads are way too easy. I think it is because deep down, they know their music is shit.

:tongue:

AcidTrash
25-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I never got jaded with the music. Just the lifestyle.

tocsin
26-11-2008, 03:09 AM
Now my main question is this. How many people are open to other forms of electronic music and sincerely mean it?

Gotta admit, I've really always been into all of it. Yeah, there's a certain number of genres that pretty much grabbed me (acid breaks, acid techno, hardcore/gabber/speedcore), but it's always been on a case by case basis, much like all music. Some of it sucks, some of it doesn't. Can't pin it to a genre though.

I never got jaded with the music. Just the lifestyle.

And that about sums me up completely. Unfortunately, the majority of people who I became friends with who I "worked" with turned out to be complete douchebags. People chasing a rockstar lifestyle that is essentially a loser lifestyle. It didn't kill my love for the music but, as far as music that I used to write, given that the scene for it is populated by such douchebags, it's a lot more difficult for me to continue writing it and loving it, as there just isn't a crowd that I can vibe off of when I play it out. And, unlike others (since I don't still live with my parents or in their property), I don't have the luxury of lengthy vacations in Europe to have experiences where it might be different. That definitely bummed me out for a bit. However, as a direct result, the music I write (on the much more rare occasion when I do it now) is something completely different than I've done before, which is nice. Plus, I started focussing on visuals more, which ended up turning into a full time thing, rather than just a background act for music I worked on with others, which I simply wouldn't have pursued the same way otherwise. Took a little time to figure out exactly what you said, as I was ready to walk away completely for good. But, thankfully, came to the realization of "**** it." A lot of people may suck, but a lot of the music and experience through it doesn't. ;)

SlavikSvensk
26-11-2008, 03:33 AM
being open minded about music translates into a greater appreciation for what music can do for people. that doens't mean liking sh*t, of course...just not limiting yourself to one narrow approach...

fatcollective
26-11-2008, 10:29 AM
fvckin Paul Potts made the hair on my neck stand up! hahahah!!

Athar
26-11-2008, 10:46 AM

word!

i like everything from punk rock, synth-pop, ambient or downtempo to techno, tech-house, hardcore, acidcore or rave music and all these kind of music i have collected on vinyls in last 15 years

it could be hurt myself if i would living in just one world called "techno" but to be honest this genre was most influenced for my musical taste

JamieBall
26-11-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't listen to techno at all, haven't done for some time really.

People used to have a far more individual sound... For example you could listen to something from Spain and it would sound like Spanish techno, German techno sounded like German techno etc etc

Nowadays, although it's a great platform for HEARING music, I can't help but feel the INTERNETS have kinda turned techno into one big homogeneous lump, with many tracks being simply 'variations on a theme'*. A lot of people now have a very similar sound, forcing the good (different?) stuff into a smaller and smaller area...

However, I guess it's a case of what the market will stand... What "the kids" want, "the kids" get I guess...

*I like "variations on a theme" when OM do it, though. Their 'theme' is ****ing BELTING.

DJPAUZE
26-11-2008, 01:22 PM

LOL!

davethedrummer
26-11-2008, 03:09 PM

not the only thing he made stand up by the sound of it.

fatcollective
26-11-2008, 05:26 PM
not the only thing he made stand up by the sound of it.

yea my grandad, hes been in a wheelchair for 15 years!

JamieBall
26-11-2008, 11:18 PM
yea my grandad, hes been in a wheelchair for 15 years!

And then after all this time you find out it's just been LAZINESS.

I'd have words if I were you....

278d7e64a374de26f==