PDA

View Full Version : Studio Headphones

DJPAUZE
13-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Looking to buy, the best bang for my buck studio headphones. I would like to know some opinions on the following as well as headphones you guys have found to be successful.

AKG K141 Studio headphones
AKG K240 studio headphones\
Sennheiser HD-215

Any thoughts?

Pauze

SlimboyPhatt
13-11-2008, 04:59 PM
ive got Audio Technica's

ATH-m50's i think. pretty damn amazing.

DJPAUZE
13-11-2008, 05:03 PM
ive got Audio Technica's

You using these in the studio or for djing?

Pauze

eppertheleper
13-11-2008, 05:27 PM
I got Beyerdynamic 770s on advice from an earlier thread and I love them. Given, I'm just an amateur tinkerer and not a pro, but for 1/3rd the price of the Sennheisers with nearly equal performance (according to the reviews I read) you can't beat them.

Here's the old thread I started - http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=58826&highlight=sennheiser

DJPAUZE
13-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Yea I was just reading over that thread. Price range I am looking at the 880's or 770's. I am also reading about the Grado phones.... Man there's loads out there.....

What about AKG's no one has mentioned they own a pair of those. It is safe to say that they are not good for electronic music?!?!

Pauze

Patrick DSP
13-11-2008, 05:56 PM
i used the 880s at PETDuo's studio. they're the best.

rhythmtech
13-11-2008, 06:00 PM
im using the senn hd-215's.

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/images/hd215_big.jpg

they're a lovely sounding vibey headphone. really good for listening and composing quietly. not too suited to mixdowns as they're a little too oomphy in the lows though.

The_Laughing_Man
13-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Rubbish to all other headphones

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/IE40.html
these are the babies, triple driver technology, stunning sound reproduction, and due to being in ear, low sound levels needed, amazing sound isolation too.

Stunning ear monitors, using Ultimate Ears Tech (Ultimate ears are in ear monitor manufacturers/experts)

The cheaper
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/IE30.html
are still good and utilise dual drivers.

Screw the rest, get the best.

DJPAUZE
13-11-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm skeptical about in ear.... Are they really that good? Anyone else have an opinion on them?

loopdon
13-11-2008, 06:49 PM
i used the 880s at PETDuo's studio. they're the best.

I have these:yup:

I have a very extensive test in a mag here. I think finally some Audio Technicas were the ''best''

Jay Pace
13-11-2008, 07:13 PM
I got sennheiser 590s
they're impossibly comfy and sound the business

I used to have in-ear shure E4s. They were remarkable. Someone stole them. Booo.

DJPAUZE
13-11-2008, 07:58 PM
I have these:yup:

I have a very extensive test in a mag here. I think finally some Audio Technicas were the ''best''

What mag is that from? I'd love to have a read...

Pauze

The_Laughing_Man
13-11-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm skeptical about in ear.... Are they really that good? Anyone else have an opinion on them?

How can you be skeptical without even trying them?

I can`t go back to normal headphones ever again.
High spec in ear are just so clear and nice.
The bass response is clean with no archetypes, the top and is crisp.

They are forming a vacuum with the ear and then moving the ear drum with direct sound pressure.
Far far better than over ear phones.

eppertheleper
13-11-2008, 09:41 PM
I used to have in-ear shure E4s. They were remarkable. Someone stole them. Booo.I owned a pair of nice Shure in-ear monitors, too. I much prefer the 770s to them (Now the Shures go to the gym with me for workouts). The reason I went looking in the first place is that the in-ears didn't reproduce bass very well and I was overcompensating for their shortcomings. That became obvious when I played the tracks on any other system, as the bass tended to drown out the other parts.

I can't speak to the M-Audios, though. They could do a much better job.

The_Laughing_Man
13-11-2008, 10:18 PM
I owned a pair of nice Shure in-ear monitors, too. I much prefer the 770s to them (Now the Shures go to the gym with me for workouts). The reason I went looking in the first place is that the in-ears didn't reproduce bass very well and I was overcompensating for their shortcomings. That became obvious when I played the tracks on any other system, as the bass tended to drown out the other parts.

I can't speak to the M-Audios, though. They could do a much better job.

They do, the bass is stunningly accurate, and never puffy, like all over ear headphones.
In fact even the high end shure`s have amazing accurate bass response

DJPAUZE
14-11-2008, 02:40 AM
How can you be skeptical without even trying them?

I can`t go back to normal headphones ever again.
High spec in ear are just so clear and nice.
The bass response is clean with no archetypes, the top and is crisp.

They are forming a vacuum with the ear and then moving the ear drum with direct sound pressure.
Far far better than over ear phones.

I'm not saying I won't give em a try. I'm going tomorrow to give all of em a test run. I will let you know the results...

Thanks for the input!

Pauze

Siege
14-11-2008, 02:42 PM
beyer 770s are doing me fine.

SlimboyPhatt
15-11-2008, 09:41 PM
You using these in the studio or for djing?

Pauze

Yo, defo for studio.

so comfortable, and love the sound. can wear them for hours without problems.

Elvio Neto
16-11-2008, 01:44 AM
ive got Audio Technica's

+1

+1

Ze Mig L recomend me that headphones (i buy on is shop) i never heard nothing like this , and they are very confortable

some people still have the old ATH-D40fs version and dont want nothing more (i know some friends with 2 pairs in case one brakes or get damage, they are cheap)

loopdon
16-11-2008, 11:52 AM
What mag is that from? I'd love to have a read...

Pauze

A german mag. Must have a look. I will try and get the info translated for you.
Apart from the audio technica model (dunno which one right now), cans from ultrasone

http://www.ultrasone.com/index.htm

were also rated highly.

herman
16-11-2008, 03:54 PM
I use a combo of Beyerdynamic Dt770 pro's and Sennheiser HD 650's when I do have to use headphones anyway.

josephjobling
16-11-2008, 04:27 PM
i have heard alot about the in ear head phones and every one i speak to rates them. i am too big and clumsy for the though - i would break a pair in a few months.
i got some grado sr235i 's and i must say i love them they cover the whole freq range very clearly hi's are crisp the bass is fat and the middle devine - i would recomend them to anybody

DJPAUZE
17-11-2008, 05:31 AM
A german mag. Must have a look. I will try and get the info translated for you.
Apart from the audio technica model (dunno which one right now), cans from ultrasone

http://www.ultrasone.com/index.htm

were also rated highly.

I'm liking these!! Thanks for the tip!

278d7e64a374de26f==