PDA

View Full Version : 1st schranz/hard techno attemp

djfilthmonger
14-11-2008, 01:53 AM
right this is my first schranz/hard techno track attempt. the engineering of the track is just a test really using reason pressing buttons on my pc to start the samples. some feedback in regards to the sound levels, will I add more sounds to it etc etc
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ddtdo6

cheers

rhythmtech
14-11-2008, 02:15 AM
this has the sound of a live set of it berger :smile:

i think you need to get some highs in there. it seems to be lacking in hats a bit.

overall some good ideas that could be broken down until you find what really makes the tune sound good.

keep us informed on it

djfilthmonger
14-11-2008, 02:19 AM
will do cheers

DannyBlack
14-11-2008, 10:16 AM
What Baz says, top ideas in there. develope the shit out of it matey.

djfilthmonger
14-11-2008, 10:49 AM
yeah i think i killed the high sounds when i was farting around with distortion. i have 2 drum machine patterns and about 4 different bass drums,sure ill have bash at later after work once im happy with the sound and idea of the track ill work on the construction. I usually hook up my midi controller and record it live , is it better to lay it down presumably that way i can keep the formula right. maybe you'll take a look at this for me over the weekend danny

StoQ
14-11-2008, 01:24 PM
i think it needs a proper rush on mids, highs. some of these sounds don't suit the whole mix imo. i like the bassline idea on start, it gives track nice fatness, rest of mix could stay more minimalistic.

Little_Fella!
18-11-2008, 01:59 PM
This is a good first attempt... you have listened to a style you want to emulateand have introduced the elements that go with it - - and have brought into play the various structural changes that are intended to give the crowd a bit of a hard time now and again... will comment some more with some advices a bit later when I get chance as you do have a good starting point...:)

Little_Fella!
19-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Ok... won't go too deep but to start I think 4 kick drums is too many

Good that your looking for variation but you cannot go down this route without being quite adept at compression techniques - - schranz is a heavily compressed style of music and the 'pump' comes from the compressor reacting to the strongest element of the tune, which is the kick, and then releasing once the kick is 'done' to allow the rest to come through into the mix - - the ride being the most obvious indicator of this action...

Once the kick is gone all the elements become louder, as you will have noticed...

You have the challenge of having to make all four kicks have pretty much the same dynamic attributes so that the compressor reacts the same with each one - - otherwise you get, say four, variable reactions from the compressor which affects the output from the rest of the elements... making the sound uneven as your kicks change ... two kicks max and one's that complement each other, or sit nicely 'side by side' so to speak :cheese:

I'd get someone to demonstrate to you how compression affects the mix - - especially the extreme way with this style of music - - which is the best way to try and understand whats going on and is a good starting point if you want to create this style of music... :cool:

Little_Fella!
19-11-2008, 11:36 PM
For me the track starts at around 5 mins... this works well so I would take the elements you have from there... (there is a nice sound in the back ground you could bring forward) .... and try your 'structure' ideas with this part of the track

Get some compression knowledge under your belt and it will help you loads...:cool:

djfilthmonger
21-11-2008, 06:55 AM
cheers mate but i think ill give makin schranz a miss for a bit. but i will definitely go back to it but not right now

djfilthmonger
21-11-2008, 03:37 PM
some good feedback there . thanks again

stjohn
21-11-2008, 04:29 PM
i can hear some good ideas definitely.. the drums especially. funky shit.

making BANGING techno can be a bit weird starting off.. the trick (not that i can really do it) is to not have loads of elements, just the perception of loads of elements, achieved by really working sounds off each other. same with distortion, not loads.. but some used strategically. so i guess you could work on a full loop... percussion, hi's... maybe even a kick, just not 4. then distort the **** out of that... and use that as your middle range percussion loop. as in, you're no longer using it as the main punch. then go and fit in a kick, sub and rides, relative to the main mid loop.
i havnt really tried making schranz but i guess thats how you'd do it. anyway the style of this track is waaaaaaaay better than schranz ;)

djfilthmonger
21-11-2008, 04:54 PM
ha ha cheers . schranz kicks ass when you here a good producer doing a good track , not that genirc horrible schranz sound

Jay Pace
25-11-2008, 01:39 PM
hey man
Yeah, +1 on st johns comments - this is much more interesting than schranz.
Complex patterns, cool elements - not just endless WHUMPA WHUMPA filling up the whole space. Don't mind a bit of schranz but cannae cope with more than a few tracks meself...

Production wise need to fill in the space a bit more, and although stereo and width is pretty irrelevant for schranz (mono mega-rigged up party music) it would make the track sound fuller. You could extend a bit lower and a bit higher, make the bass deeper and the highs sparkier and use stereo to give stuff a bit more room and fill stuff up. Again its the perception of loads of elements more than loads of elements (nicely put on that mr john) - more about making the sounds you use count than piling stuff on until its sounds full. To make this more full you'd need to make more use of compression on the individual tracks and the overall mix, use reverb on the individual tracks to create a sense of space and EQ stuff to give each bit a bit more room to smack with.

nice work dude.

djfilthmonger
25-11-2008, 03:41 PM
hey man
Yeah, +1 on st johns comments - this is much more interesting than schranz.
Complex patterns, cool elements - not just endless WHUMPA WHUMPA filling up the whole space. Don't mind a bit of schranz but cannae cope with more than a few tracks meself...

Production wise need to fill in the space a bit more, and although stereo and width is pretty irrelevant for schranz (mono mega-rigged up party music) it would make the track sound fuller. You could extend a bit lower and a bit higher, make the bass deeper and the highs sparkier and use stereo to give stuff a bit more room and fill stuff up. Again its the perception of loads of elements more than loads of elements (nicely put on that mr john) - more about making the sounds you use count than piling stuff on until its sounds full. To make this more full you'd need to make more use of compression on the individual tracks and the overall mix, use reverb on the individual tracks to create a sense of space and EQ stuff to give each bit a bit more room to smack with.

nice work dude.

thanks guys , im definetly going to come back to this a take on board all of your comments,

278d7e64a374de26f==