PDA

View Full Version : Doomed. We're all doomed.

Patrick
13-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Or not, as the case may be. Saw this posted on another forum. Intersting points, most of which we've seen before. Personally I think it's a good thing, at elast in the long run for the music, but let's hear what y'all reckon

Could it be the end for superstar DJs and ecstasy-fuelled all-night clubs? Ian Burrell investigates the plummeting popularity of the sound that was spawned by the rave generation
02 January 2004

Fashionably dishevelled and happily preparing to submit itself to an evening of brutal aural assault, the Friday night crowd shuffles into London's best-known student venue. The musical diet is garage rock from The Dirty Switches and The Illegal Movers, mixed in with video images of skateboarders. Only two or three years ago, the University of London Union would have been offering the students entirely different Friday fare: cheesy house music.

"We have a whole new strategy - to increase the amount of live gigs," says Natalie Baker, the union's venue manager. "There's a resurgence in interest in live and guitar-based music. We are not concentrating on dance music at all." After a decade and a half as the sound of British youth culture, the music spawned by underground warehouse parties of the late Eighties is returning to the shadows, as the rave generation enters middle age.

Dance music (encompassing house, trance, techno, breaks and drum'n'bass) has seen its share of the singles market fall from a high of 34 per cent in 1991 to 15.4 per cent in 2002. Album sales of 9.5 per cent last year represented the lowest market share for a decade. And even the compilation sector, seen as a godsend for a genre that has produced few big-name artists, has seen dance's share slip for 11 successive quarter-years.

Sales of record decks have reportedly fallen behind those of guitars, a pattern attributed to American bands like the White Stripes and the Kings of Leon replacing superstar DJs like Paul Oakenfold and Norman Cook as role models for British youth.

The superclub phenomenon has stalled, with Liverpool's Cream and Sheffield's Gatecrasher both forced to downsize drastically due to falling attendance levels. In the magazine sector, the London superclub Ministry of Sound closed its Ministry title last year and the publisher IPC axed Muzik last July, complaining that "nothing was going to turn around this sector of the music market".

Tim Brooks, the managing director of IPC ignite! says: "Dance music was a trend, and like all trends it has gone away. The dance craze was a lifestyle craze, it was about what you did in your fun time; music was woven through it but it was also the clothes, the drugs and the dance venues themselves. That was a passing phase and it has gone. People have moved on."

Malik Meer was editor of Muzik when it folded and now finds himself deputy editor of New Musical Express. He says: "The dance culture as a whole got lazy. It came to be perceived as one thing: this cheesy, superclub, larging-it lifestyle, and the magazines ended up representing just the girls, the drugs and Ibiza."

To Meer this tunnel vision failed to recognise that "the history of dance music came from an underground culture and was about being edgy and anti-establishment. At the height of superclub-dom, a club would be £25 to get in and full of slightly-older people, glammed up and wearing crap labels," he says. "If you are young and want to be cool, you are not going to buy into that. The next generation thought 'That's a bit naff, I wouldn't mind skate-punk metal. That's a better means with which to menace.'"

When Steve Janes recently launched the Newcastle-based music magazine Bullit, he placed the emphasis firmly on rock rather than dance. The sight of racks of Ministry of Sound compilations in his Asda supermarket had convinced him that dance had moved too far from its underground roots. "It was clear it was the mainstream and as soon as something is mainstream it's got the clock ticking on it," he says.

Dance is being further marginalised on music television as the notion takes hold that it has had its day. Earlier this year, BSkyB launched three youth music channels. One was based on hard rock (Scuzz), a second on alternative rock (The Amp) and a third on pop and R&B (Flaunt). Ian Greaves, programming manager for Sky's music channels, said: "My personal take on dance music is that it has run out of steam. It hasn't been as inventive in the last few years as it was previously."

Greaves said that his views were compounded when he attended the Brit Awards earlier this year and watched The Sugababes crowned as "Best Dance Act". "That used to be one of the most important categories at the Brits and was won by a lot of good artists like Fat Boy Slim, the Chemical Brothers and Faithless. I thought The Sugababes were not a proper dance act and the fact that they won was symbolic of where dance music is at."

Sally Habbershaw, general manager of VH1 branded channels, part of MTV, agrees: "The interest in dance music has shifted across to the rock music. Dance as a music genre has been explored in all its variants and it is difficult to find anything innovative. Go to a Basement Jaxx concert and most of the people are 25-plus. The young kids aren't interested in it."

The pattern seems to be further confirmed by recently released findings from the Home Office showing that ecstasy, the drug of choice of the dance generation, is becoming less popular in spite of its tumbling price.

Gareth Perry, head of rock, pop and chart at Virgin Retail, says that the big dance acts of the Nineties (he cites The Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Daft Punk, Groove Armada, Basement Jaxx and Air) "have either moved on or are inactive". They have been replaced by icons from the world of what the music industry calls the "urban" market, primarily R&B, hip hop and dancehall of America and the Caribbean, stars like Beyoncé Knowles, 50 Cent, Outkast and Justin Timberlake.

The traditional purchasers of dance music are now settling down to listen to down-tempo artists such as Coldplay and Dido or buying compilations of old-skool tunes to look back misty-eyed on their clubbing years, he says.

Adam Woods, special projects editor of Music Week, says that the growth in popularity of post-clubbing chill-out music was an indication that the rave generation was growing up and slowing down.

"From the late Eighties, all through the Nineties, it was the prevailing pop culture in musical terms," he says. "A lot of those people have gone through it and got kids. They don't go out clubbing anymore. That's why chill-out compilations are so popular. They have a dance-y quality, but it's reminiscing more than anything else."

So that's it then, the end of the dance revolution. Pack away the white gloves, the dummies and the Lycra (unless of course it's a catsuit in the style worn by Justin Hawkins, the lead singer of the all-conquering Suffolk rockers The Darkness)...

Well, not just yet. In smaller clubs across the country, the decks are still turning. Clubs like Chibuku Shake Shake, set up by a group of former students in Liverpool, Good Grief in Manchester and Club Class in Maidstone are thriving. Cream has downshifted to a smaller "boutique" venue called Baby Cream, also in Liverpool, and The Neighbourhood is a new West London club with an eye on comfort, cleanliness and cocktails as well as good music.

Lesley Wright, editor of DJ magazine, says: "There are so many clubs that are run by people who have an absolute passion for the music. The people who are into it aren't going to drop it because it's not the flavour of the month with the style magazines."

Matt Priest, executive producer for dance music at BBC Radio One, said there were now so many clubs and bars playing dance music that there was less incentive to go out and actually buy records. "Every single High Street bar in every town and city in this country has DJs these days," he says. "It is so readily available now that the requirement for people to go and buy it is not as strong as it used to be."

On Boxing Day Radio One sent its dance DJ Fergie to Belfast's King's Hall to perform at an event for 8,000 people, staged in association with the Birmingham superclub God's Kitchen.

Northern Ireland has become one of the United Kingdom's strongest regions for dance music, with award-winning nights like Lush in Portrush and trance clubs like The Met in Armagh and Coach in Banbridge. Belfast-born Fergie says: "This year is already looking likely to be the busiest year of my career. The clubs are still full everywhere I play and I don't think the scaling-down of two big clubs is reflective of the rest of the scene."

In the past month, he has taken 26 flights to 10 countries, which is indicative of the role of British artists and clubs in nourishing a global dance movement.

Carl Cox, a DJ who has been at the forefront of the dance scene since the acid house days of 1988, spent Christmas Eve playing in Singapore and New Year's Eve performing in Seoul.

The reputations of British clubs overseas are phenomenal. Cream has just staged its Creamfields festival in Buenos Aires for more than 35,000. God's Kitchen has just completed a tour of Indonesia, Taiwan, Hong Kong and the Philippines and has put on more than 400 events in America this year.

James Algate, a director of God's Kitchen, says the internet is an important driver in spreading the reputation of British clubs. "Dance is changing and is probably bigger than ever. The UK is just one market," he says.

The international growth of dance, with huge scenes emerging in South America and Eastern Europe, means that the names of the biggest DJs (and the biggest stars such as Testio and Armin Van Buuren are from outside Britain) are appearing less frequently on British club flyers. Algate says: "The DJs that have become big have wanted to experience other markets. Once you have played somewhere 10 or 15 times you want to change."

God's Kitchen, known as a trance club, was recently redesigned for a broader range of dance music with rooms for techno and breaks. British dance artists, too, have had to think laterally. Andy Spence, who records as Organic Audio, has diversified into film and television, providing the soundtrack to a party scene in Sex and the City and music for the Hollywood movies Swordfish and The Fast and the Furious.

He says: "Album and 12-inch sales may be going down but people still like to listen to dance music, and it has the energy that works best in film and television."

Ministry of Sound has also recognised the need to diversify, and having championed house & garage, drum'n'bass, trance and UK garage, it has embraced urban music with its hugely-popular night, Smoove.

"Dance music has always morphed, changed and moved on," says Lohan Presencer, managing director of the Ministry of Sound Music Group. "Club culture is still there. This weekend, the majority of 15-25 year olds will be going somewhere where they can drink and listen to music. And dance."

Dance may no longer be all-powerful, but the pared-down scene is both passionate and intense. Certainly, Matt Priest has no plans to take dance off the Radio One schedules. "People in dance are having to work harder but the results are better," he says. "What you have left is the clubbers who know exactly who they want and who they want to get it from. It's got back to more of a party."

>From The Independent UK

Discuss.

serox
13-01-2004, 02:34 PM
nice read. took me ages to get thru it tho as am trying to work.

Numeric
13-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Although there are some fair points raised in all of that, for me, dance music has never been about the 'super' clubs, clothing labels, magazines or even the drugs for that matter...

It's about the music, true underground dance music, not all this cheesey mainstream w*nk...

Who gives two sh*ts about Gatecrasher? Honestly?

Oh yeah, and, i can safely say, that i never looked upto Paul Oakenfold or Fat Boy Slim at any point of my youth...

Numeric
13-01-2004, 03:16 PM
All that sh*t reminds me of the time a few years back, when a coleague told me that Drum n Bass was dead, simply because he'd read an article in The Face (toilet paper) that said so, how i laughed...

Only the weekend earlier i'd witnessed Ed Rush, Randall and Andy C blow the room off at a packed La Bateau (X) in Liverpool...

The mainstream media needs to shut the f*ck up about things they simply don't understand...

serox
13-01-2004, 03:37 PM
paul o might play music i do not like but he has skills and has done well.

i dont think the scene is dead, of course labels have gone but also knew ones are coming out the wood

tekno is sitll more underground, hope it stays this way

Tony
13-01-2004, 03:39 PM
i have faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too much to reply on this topic. in one breath i want to say thank god the masses arent paying attention, the underground has and always will be here. on the other hand i want to laugh at all the little metal kids for thinking their underground when they are actually babies being spoon fed grungey-boy bands by major labels. taking it from the man, but being hoodwinked into thinking their rebelling against the man. fear not people, there will always be THIS underground. the stuff that articles like that dont even realise exists and just dont feature in any of their ****ing pie charts. keep buying records, keep mixing, diversify your collections and IGNORE ALL TRENDS!!!! just cos capitalism says its dead (cos they want it killed) doesnt mean to say it cant happily exist.

phew!! kept that quite short really didnt i!

Numeric
13-01-2004, 03:48 PM
:clap:

Well said, typed even...

jonnyspeed
13-01-2004, 04:31 PM
don't know what party they were at but its facking avin' it 'ere.

Anyway you don't want everybody turning up at the party? that would be like some shite at the Misery of Sound. When start to give a shit about what Mr Average does or doesn't like - please somebody shoot me.

dan the acid man
13-01-2004, 05:24 PM
i think everybody on here knows its far from dead

MARKEG
13-01-2004, 08:41 PM
good old lesley wright, my old editor boss get's it totally spot on as usual:

"There are so many clubs that are run by people who have an absolute passion for the music. The people who are into it aren't going to drop it because it's not the flavour of the month with the style magazines."

i read this article with interest, but it doesnt affect all of us who care about a certain style of underground music and underground movement. i really have never seen such passion in the last five years as i'm seeing now and my own dj diary really is choca almost until next year. it's never been like that in a january. i couldnt give a flying toss about the superclubs and those that have milked their superstardom to the limit. they'll all grow old, poor and very lonely. let them mutate into other parts of the music industry and leave us who care to get on with the important business. sure it'll be a tough time for underground music - but hasn't it always?!!!! what's new?!!??!!!

log:one
13-01-2004, 08:50 PM
it really amuses me when people believe something is dying just because its not the biggest selling, most talked about, most wanked over thing out there...

Col
13-01-2004, 11:05 PM
about time. :clap: i'll look forward to the day the commercial end of dance music dies out completely.

"real" dance music belongs with the minority, lets try keep it that way.

Col
13-01-2004, 11:10 PM
im really happy about the fall from grace suffered by dance music...it feels like the evil within the genre has been weeded out. their still some cunts around, but hopefully these people will dissapear soon enough.

Col
13-01-2004, 11:12 PM
im off to grab a beer! wahey!!!!

DJAmok
14-01-2004, 12:05 AM
yeah so the dress up disco clubbing is coming to an end, who didn´t see it coming.

I don´t really care, techno will remain in the underground and chances are it will become darker, harder and more intense.

and to put it simple: as long as there are drugs, there will be raves ;)

Methodixxx
14-01-2004, 12:46 AM
I've been crapping on about a renaissance for a while... things will hopeful revert to how there were, well not exactly, but more of that ethos... Now it seems the mainstream media (well all media is shit ;) ) is quickening the process that they started! Thanx :crackup: Highlander : "there shall be only one" :eh:

Tony
14-01-2004, 01:05 AM
it will become darker, harder and more intense.

and to put it simple: as long as there are drugs, there will be raves ;)

i am expecting a bit more of a diversification, if we can catch the backlash, we can get people into all sorts of electronic music thats ACTUALLY interesting instead of the fodder they've been gobbling at the trough. i would say techno has been to hardness and back again. if we are to accept a quote that dance culture is in its middle age then we should have learnt whats hot and whats not, and that drugs arent really a necessity. i know they'll always be there, but it would be nice if more people appreciated techno outside of the times they're off their face,.

Sunil
14-01-2004, 01:21 AM
if we are to accept a quote that dance culture is in its middle age then we should have learnt whats hot and whats not, and that drugs arent really a necessity. i know they'll always be there, but it would be nice if more people appreciated techno outside of the times they're off their face,.

Agreed. Venues need people to fill gigs and no-one's complaining if people are off their heads, but it is a shame to see the amount of people who lose interest in the music for good once they give up drugs, shows that they weren't that interested after all.

Methodixxx
14-01-2004, 03:09 AM
if we are to accept a quote that dance culture is in its middle age then we should have learnt whats hot and whats not, and that drugs arent really a necessity. i know they'll always be there, but it would be nice if more people appreciated techno outside of the times they're off their face,.

Agreed. Venues need people to fill gigs and no-one's complaining if people are off their heads, but it is a shame to see the amount of people who lose interest in the music for good once they give up drugs, shows that they weren't that interested after all.

Double agreed, I can't stand that pseudo-liking of the music when drugs are involved.. then when there's no drugs or they are 'having a break' they don't even like the tunes and show no passion what-so-ever! :rambo:

DJAmok
14-01-2004, 03:27 AM
most people don´t care about the music anyways. They just want to go out, get drunk or get high and find someone to screw. I´ve been observing the crowds now for a few years. That´s what it really comes down to. The majority does not care out the music at all.

serox
14-01-2004, 09:07 AM
cos ur going to the wrng places :)

places i go i think 99% of people are there for the music. cos techno is still so underground in london compared to other places when there is a techno night on, people are there for the music. think most people r stilll (thank god) going to garage and rnb clubs to pull.

Numeric
14-01-2004, 09:18 AM
There are many clubs which provide for a good crowd of people with the right attitude...

I still like Tangled at the Pheonix in Manchester, even though the music is generally a little soft for my tastes, the atmosphere and general mood of the club make for a good night...

wenna
14-01-2004, 10:56 AM
perhaps judge jules and peter tong will 'get together' and form a rock band!!! :rambo: ;)

Paul Zykotik
14-01-2004, 12:34 PM
most people don´t care about the music anyways. They just want to go out, get drunk or get high and find someone to screw. I´ve been observing the crowds now for a few years. That´s what it really comes down to. The majority does not care out the music at all.

But to an extent hasn't it always been like that? I think a lot of people into raving/clubbing/call it what you will are in love with the ethos of rebellion and the excitement of doing something different, rather than the music itself. That's why so many fall out of dance music once they stop taking drugs. You'll always have a core of people who love the music, and especially in techno because it's not the most accessible style of music around. But for the rest it's just a period in their life - youthful exuberance probably - where they can go crazy and forget everything else in everyday life.

jonnyspeed
14-01-2004, 12:42 PM
geeetar indie pop sucks donkey's cock. Same dull 3 cords they were playing in 1987 and depressing as shit lyrics. I stick to music to dance to, no fall asleep to :)

shite.

IMHO :)

daviec
14-01-2004, 04:03 PM

But to an extent hasn't it always been like that? I think a lot of people into raving/clubbing/call it what you will are in love with the ethos of rebellion and the excitement of doing something different, rather than the music itself. That's why so many fall out of dance music once they stop taking drugs. You'll always have a core of people who love the music, and especially in techno because it's not the most accessible style of music around. But for the rest it's just a period in their life - youthful exuberance probably - where they can go crazy and forget everything else in everyday life.

Yeah I'd agree with that. At first it used to piss me off as I've watched folk I used to go to clubs with gradually fall away and move to other things as we get a bit older. Now I realise they were never in it for the music, despite many discussions with them at afterparties about the ins/outs of the tunes we'd heard that night I realise now I was probably the only one bringing it up in conversation. It's meant my circle of friends has gradually shifted. At the same time there have been surprises for me. Some of the people I would never have had down as techno lovers are still here with me and get just as excited as I do when we head out to a club.

So **** all the dafties that were in the clubs coz it was fashionable. For me the music scene where I am has been getting stronger and stronger, and it's because we're losing all the watered down commercial dance shit, and the "super" clubs.

The best clubs have always been the ones with an extreme music policy in one sense or another. The ones for the true music lovers. Small, dark dingy clubs with people from all over who've travelled to hear the music they love.

I always think back to Nosebleed/North at Rosyth. A mixture of hardcore/techno/hard trance and one of the best clubs I ever went to.

Now though I'm finding great clubs just like it all over. Techno blasting over the speakers, a passionate promoter just out to spread the sound for like minded people, and a great crowd. Club 69 in Paisley. It's just a basement under an Indian Restaurant, converted to have some speakers and a dancefloor. You've even got to go round the back of the building and enter through the fire exit. I went to a "Foresight" night and it was tremendous. Ade Fenton playing to about 50 folk and it was superb.

"Drummed", "Re-Fresh", "Twisted vs Brainfire" at the Vault in Glasgow all have at least a techno room, and I know having played Drummed that people are right up for a good dose of real hard techno.

I think rather than the death of dance music we're heading into a new dawn. The darkness of corporate, mainstream, bullshit in our scene has been lifted, and as the media shifts it's attention we can get back down with the underground.

Here we go :evil:

spiralx
14-01-2004, 04:07 PM
cos ur going to the wrng places :)

places i go i think 99% of people are there for the music. cos techno is still so underground in london compared to other places when there is a techno night on, people are there for the music. think most people r stilll (thank god) going to garage and rnb clubs to pull.
ROFL yeah you don't go to a squat party because it's "cool" or to pull ;)

Coming to the 100K party this weekend?

Paul Zykotik
15-01-2004, 09:56 AM
I always think back to Nosebleed/North at Rosyth. A mixture of hardcore/techno/hard trance and one of the best clubs I ever went to.

Definitely mate. Those were the days! A dingy little club in an even dingier little town, but some of the best nights ever!

"Drummed", "Re-Fresh", "Twisted vs Brainfire" at the Vault in Glasgow all have at least a techno room, and I know having played Drummed that people are right up for a good dose of real hard techno.

Yep, the techno scene in Scotland has been pretty strong for some time. It used to be Edinburgh that was the techno stronghold, but that slowly seems to be shifting towards Glasgow now. I remember the old Edinburgh days of Pillbox, Apex etc...and while everyone was there getting trashed, everyone loved the music as well. Most of the people I went out with back then are still kicking around doing something related to techno, whether it's running nights, labels or just still playing out. It highlights really that the article posted in this thread really can't be applied to techno! (No disrespect to the person who started this thread, as I found it an interesting read)

Long live the underground! :rambo:

Patrick
15-01-2004, 11:52 AM
It highlights really that the article posted in this thread really can't be applied to techno! (No disrespect to the person who started this thread, as I found it an interesting read)

No disrespect taken. That's more or less my own feeling, which is why I said at the start of my post that I thought the death of these superclubs and "the scene" as manufactured by the media (not to be confused with the real scene that we're all very much still part of and which is still very much alive and turning out some of the most exciting sounds for years imo) is a good thing. I was just interested in what everybody else felt about it.

I know they have nothing to do with techno, you know that, and from this thread it's clear everyone using this forum knows that, but a lot of people don't i.e the Shermans who go to these big clubs and who really don't know the difference between HH and techno (see somebody elses comments about people who only care about being fu.cked and not about the music). So I won't be sad to see the back of them. And I won't be sad when the people who are genuinely into the music get back to supporting the smaller clubs. And I won't be sad when I no longer have people coming up to me at a night I've advertised as a techno night, telling me that "what you want to play, mate, is a nice bit of hard house to lift the crowd". Wrong. what you want to do, mate, is **** off back down the Ritzy.

I'm happy to stick a metaphorical shotgun in the mouth of these suffering superclubs, superstar DJs, media-whores and bandwagon jumpers and to pull the trigger to put them out of their misery.

This bit cracked me up, though :

Malik Meer was editor of Muzik when it folded and now finds himself deputy editor of New Musical Express. He says: "The dance culture as a whole got lazy. It came to be perceived as one thing: this cheesy, superclub, larging-it lifestyle, and the magazines ended up representing just the girls, the drugs and Ibiza."

To Meer this tunnel vision failed to recognise that "the history of dance music came from an underground culture and was about being edgy and anti-establishment. At the height of superclub-dom, a club would be £25 to get in and full of slightly-older people, glammed up and wearing crap labels," he says. "If you are young and want to be cool, you are not going to buy into that. The next generation thought 'That's a bit naff, I wouldn't mind skate-punk metal. That's a better means with which to menace.'"

So, it didn't cross his mind when he was the editor of one of these guilty magazines to try and do something about it then, instead of following like a sheep and running endless "Beefa" specials, fashion tips and "Ketamine ! is it the new ecstacy?" type articles ? Pots and kettles spring to mind.

Paul Zykotik
15-01-2004, 12:39 PM
Agreed on all points. I've never associated mainstream dance culture with what we're all doing, and I'm happy to keep it underground. People might be right in saying the days of big raves are gone, but they've been gone since 1992. The underground has survived throughout, and although it suffers its rough periods, it always picks itself back up again.

I had a thought the other day, relating to the fact Camden Palace and The Fridge (two of London's major allnight venues) are to close in the next 2 months. What if the authorities really made an effort to try and shut down club culture? I think something like that could actually be its saviour - people are forced out to warehouses or back to the fields in order to enjoy the music they love...often these free parties have a varied music policy...the illegality and rebellion of it all attracts more people...and so it all comes full circle again.

Obviously this is hypothetical, but if club culture really is in these supposed dire straights, who knows what the underground will produce?

Anyway, I've gone off on a bit of a tangent there. It's nice to know there's a whole community of us who are able to laugh at these reports. The Muzik example you give is brilliant. I remember their old techno reviews. German stuff "too hard"...experimental stuff "too weird"...Intec "the future of techno" :roll:

Now who's having the last laugh?

T
15-01-2004, 01:12 PM
I'm not bothered if the "dance" scene ot whatever is less popular. Maybe people who are still into there various forms of dance & electronic music are actually genuinely into it rather then just into the scene for a bit as a phase when it's popular.
I mean no disrepect to anyone who just liked popping a few beans for a short while and clubbing, fair enough, each to their own, I don't want to sound like an inverted snob, but myself i love my music and it's more to me than just a stage in my life where I was into clubbing and rugs or whatever. There will always be a a scene of sorts as there are plenty of passionate people into their techno etc.....just look at this board.
As for the decline in so called "superclubs" I really couldn'pt give a f***! there are much better places to hear music.
That's a penines worth from me!

Tony
15-01-2004, 03:50 PM
perhaps judge jules and peter tong will 'get together' and form a rock band!!! :rambo: ;)

did anyone see the AMERICAN dance music awards??

un-be-****ing-leivable!!!!!!!

ok so they have to appeal to strongly pigeon holed dumb ass mtv junkies.
so 1st up we have puff daddy repeating one line for about 5mins with some dancey toss in the background - so thats black mtv watching america sorted out, now what about whitey?
up steps paul oakenfold behind a big rack of synths while this vest wearing, tattoed, peirced, bleach blonde numetal cliche runs around on stage going 'huuuugh, yeaaagh!!'.........tossers!! what the hell goes on?? there where guitarists and big marshall racks and shit. but the market audience division was clear. both sides of the coin told that dance music is cooooooool!!

tragic!!

massplanck
15-01-2004, 04:13 PM
Guys Guys Guys why so gloomy? Dont you know that if you stick to your guns when things are shit you will all come out smelling of roses when dance music gets (ultra)popular again.

I'm happy for us. All it is is a bit of breathing space that's well needed...

Anyway what follows immediately after a depression? A ****ING UPTURN. :twisted:

Bughead
16-01-2004, 11:49 AM
It can only get harder, we , the humans ( and present company accepted ) will take control of the machines and make them do more unspeakable things. I would like it to return to years ago of huge outdoor raves like the Teknivals and such like but I see that Eastern Europe is beginning to open up big time to this type of festival with the Czech Republic coming on in leaps and bounds. The question has to be asked whether or not these people who are suffering now were initially in for the money or the music? Seems to everyone now ( especially their bank manager) that they were in it for the money and now as they didnt diversify that they suffer. Phaq em!!! Its time for the crusties to return with their souund systems, come back Spiral Tribe all is forgiven!!

"""I don´t really care, techno will remain in the underground and chances are it will become darker, harder and more intense.

and to put it simple: as long as there are drugs, there will be raves ;)[/quote]

>>> Eh Amok what are you suggesting? Free drugs at your raves :lol: :lol: :lol:

spiralx
16-01-2004, 01:03 PM
There's tons and tons of free techno parties around Europe all the time... even in London alone there's always at least four or five each Saturday to choose from. During the summer there's generally at least one massive teknival every weekend as well. It's not even slightly dead :clap:

278d7e64a374de26f==