PDA

View Full Version : Seperating vocals from the track.

DannyBlack
25-11-2008, 06:32 PM
Right, I've been fiddling around trying to take vocals from tracks for my own sampling naughtiness. (Royalty free ones of course *wink wink*)
I'm pretty sure I'm not doing it right because what I end up with is tinny sounding rubbish.

I am using low pass and high pass filters etc and the result is poo.

RDR, in Moj Demente you utilized a lovely vocal from Adam Beyers (of course he took it from somewhere else, but whatever) Manipulated loops. How on earth did you do it in such a precise, crystal clear way?

Also DirtyBass, you did it with tear drop and NIN if memory serves.

Any tips or tricks would be very much appreciated. Anything that I can do in return I will do my best to help.

rhythmtech
25-11-2008, 06:43 PM
danny,

rdr had the original track that the re-manipulated sample came from. i presume stve db got the NIN multitracks from http://www.ninremixes.com/multitracks.php

and if i remember correctly the teardrop remix was bordering on schranz.. this could esily mask out the music of teardrop with a little clever eq.

the only way to sample vocals is to use your ears and pick parts of the tracks that arent too busy .. unless you have an accapella or the multi tracks.

check out that NIN site btw danny, about 30 tracks available in multis.

DannyBlack
25-11-2008, 07:21 PM
danny,

rdr had the original track that the re-manipulated sample came from. i presume stve db got the NIN multitracks from http://www.ninremixes.com/multitracks.php

and if i remember correctly the teardrop remix was bordering on schranz.. this could esily mask out the music of teardrop with a little clever eq.

the only way to sample vocals is to use your ears and pick parts of the tracks that arent too busy .. unless you have an accapella or the multi tracks.

check out that NIN site btw danny, about 30 tracks available in multis.

Cheers Baz! I see, so what they are doing and in most cases they are putting their track on top of the original peice. That would make sense.

See what I was doing was putting the sample through a filter, pretty much abliterating the music and of course that in turn took out parts of the vocal. What I would do then is take the vocal and boost the frequencies that I killed with the filter.
I guess a little bit of filtering and then over laying my track should do it.

Will check out the NIN site when I get home.

Thanks for the info Baz mate.

loopdon
25-11-2008, 08:39 PM
If i am not totally mistaken i uploaded the original track, which was also used by adam beyer before. Somebody should still be able to supply you with the thing, i reckon. :biggrin:

Barely Human
25-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Yeah, you need the acapella mate. There are ways to make them from original tracks deppending on the track.

DannyBlack
25-11-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm gonna keep bangin away at this till I get it right. I will try to post examples and formulas.

Cheers for the advice lads.

herman
26-11-2008, 12:11 PM
If you have the instrumental as well you could try the old phase reversal trick but it is hardly an exact science in practice.

rhythmtech
26-11-2008, 01:25 PM
^^ just to clarify hermans point danny. you get the original and line it up exactly with the instrumental in your sequencer. then hit the phase reverse switch on on of the channels and in theory the music should cancel itself out.. but it doesnt always work.

another thing to try, especially on older recordings, is a hard pan. this has worked for me before when the recordings have been recorded with a hard pan (beatles used this method quite a lot).

morbid
26-11-2008, 08:33 PM
^^^^^

as above, you can phase invert if you have the instrumental and the original but as above it doesnt always come off clean

you can do it on ableton using utility tool .......

see http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18782&highlight=utility+stereo

The_Laughing_Man
27-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Right, I've been fiddling around trying to take vocals from tracks for my own sampling naughtiness. (Royalty free ones of course *wink wink*)
I'm pretty sure I'm not doing it right because what I end up with is tinny sounding rubbish.

I am using low pass and high pass filters etc and the result is poo.

RDR, in Moj Demente you utilized a lovely vocal from Adam Beyers (of course he took it from somewhere else, but whatever) Manipulated loops. How on earth did you do it in such a precise, crystal clear way?

Also DirtyBass, you did it with tear drop and NIN if memory serves.

Any tips or tricks would be very much appreciated. Anything that I can do in return I will do my best to help.

If I can I track down the acapella.
Slseek is still a great place for that.

For the NIN industrial remix/bootleg in my pa, it`s from a very old track (Something I can never have) from pretty hate machine.
As far as I know there are no split files available from trent for his old stuff.
However I very luckily tracked down a demo version of pretty hate machine with alternative pre-release versions of all the tracks and found a very minimal version of the track I wanted.
I just EQ`d the hell out of it and then edited and stretched various parts and synths out of the demo version and made a tune around it.

For teardrops I just did some creative EQ on the original and then slapped a whopper of a kick and some other sub nonsence under it.

Generally I just work hard in tracking down acapella`s and stolen vox (usually taken from the desk at live performances by naughty engineers).

Occasionally I make some surgical use of dynamic multiband compression, expansion and EQ.

The CQ1 and DQ1 dynamic multiband units from Sonalksis are truly amazing bits of kit for precision sculpting, you almost need a bloody degree to use em, but once you get the hang of it, they are spectacular.

DannyBlack
27-11-2008, 04:18 PM
@ Baz and Herman- I will give Phase reversal. To ask a silly question, is that the same as 'Phase Inverting'?... actually, probably not.

That NIN track is one of my favorite songs of all time, it is wonderful. There's a pretty minimalistic version on youtube. I may actually rip the audio.

I was messing around with the FL8 multi band compressor last night to see if that would do anything, it isn't bad if but a little basic.
Are there any plugins (free ones at the mo, money is a very precious comodity) That you can recommend?

Again, Thanks for the info and tips guys, it is very appreciated.

DannyBlack
27-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Here's a question, probably one for another topic but how do you guys feel about putting your own vocals in a track? That was my fall back option, if I couldn't refine the sample to my anal standard I was going to sing it back.

Does putting your own vocal/singing back in a track come off big headed or self indulgent?

rhythmtech
27-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Does putting your own vocal/singing back in a track come off big headed or self indulgent?

not at all.. just that when i do it sounds like a dublin knacker!!! :lol:

DannyBlack
27-11-2008, 04:54 PM
:lol: I love Knacker vocals, they're funny as hell.

I'm a fan of bit crushing and time stretching vocals too.

FILTERZ
02-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Here's a question, probably one for another topic but how do you guys feel about putting your own vocals in a track? That was my fall back option, if I couldn't refine the sample to my anal standard I was going to sing it back.

sing it baby , absolutely blinding idea and more creative than sampling some shit

djfilthmonger
02-12-2008, 07:07 PM
:lol: I love Knacker vocals, they're funny as hell.

I'm a fan of bit crushing and time stretching vocals too.

Hey man i think it will be alright. I was considering asking becky to help wid some vocals as her voice is sweet , ha ha

@ Rhythm Tech I think a big dublin knacker voice would sound funny on a track , I cant wait to try me durty Waterford accent on a choon

djfilthmonger
04-12-2008, 01:03 AM
@ Danny me brother has one of these bad boys so we can record some of own samples or vocals properly - plugs straight into a lappy then
http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/images/zoom-h2-accessories.jpg

djfilthmonger
04-12-2008, 01:56 AM
http://rapidshare.com/files/170031185/dannys_lovey_mam.mp3

ha ha
heres sumtin i threw together in abt 10 mins just to show the use of this mic, some of the samples i beat box 1 shots in and threw it into the reddrum on reason and fiddled ard with
definetly the most shite song ull every hear its titled danny's lovely mam

djfilthmonger
04-12-2008, 02:56 PM
actually danny i can just plug the sd card straight into me laptop way faster the usb
cable

DannyBlack
04-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Thats correct. I would just rather use a mic though. Plug it straight into the puter and record into Adobe Audition.

djfilthmonger
04-12-2008, 03:14 PM
this is a mic man. great recording of it too

DannyBlack
04-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Man, it sounds like you're saying "F*cking loves jews" at one point.

djfilthmonger
04-12-2008, 04:03 PM
i do love jews!

278d7e64a374de26f==