PDA

View Full Version : Bought myself a new 303 emu (vst)... Spectralhead Audio Silverbox

loopdon
27-11-2008, 11:17 PM
The sound is pretty good i reckon and i love the way you can do the sequencing all in one window with slides and accents. Superb layout, that's what really made the difference in my eyes. I don't think laying down cool 303 patterns can get any easier in vst land, tbh. It's just pure fun and as a bonus it has some different distortion on board. There's an autumn discount as well:

Spectralhead Audio Silverbox

http://www.spectralhead.com/silverbox.php

http://www.spectralhead.com/img/silverbox.jpg

.: Features :.
Authentic monophonic analog bassline emulation
Easy-to-use interface
Oscillator with saw/square waveforms
18 dB/oct. analog modeled multimode filter, LP/BP/HP/peak modes
Sequencer with piano roll, accent & slide
External sequencer mode
Variable pattern length (1-16)
Advanced randomize functions
16x oversampled distortion with minimum aliasing (soft, hard clipping, soft foldback, hard foldback)
Optimized DSP code using SIMD instructions
Customizable MIDI CC automation
Sequencer MIDI out
Custom skinnable user interface
.: Overview :. What is SilverBox?
SilverBox is an authentic digital emulation of the world's most renowned and famous analog bass line machine. It's square oscillator accurately models the oscillator of this 80s analog beast, giving a spectrally different square wave for different notes. The in-built sequencer has the traditional behaviour with accents and slides. The accent circuit is probably the most difficult to faithfully reproduce virtually, and most emulations simply fail to reproduce the typical barking sound.
Accent and filter Most emphasis was on creating the best accent emulation possible, because no virtual plugin fulfilled our expectations. The same applies to the filter - most emulators don't reproduce the typical resonance character thoroughout the entire frequency range at all.
Why is it different? The most striking difference with SilverBox and most other emulators (besides sound) is the ease of use. You see the entire pattern instantly, no need to cycle through steps to see what's going on in the pattern. With dedicated rows for gate, up, down, accent and slide, you can alter patterns easily and quickly. The piano roll gives you an overview of the melody in a familiar way. The pattern functions give you an intuitive way of quickly and easily delete, shift, or randomize rows independently. The random functions allow you to set a random probability for each row, which allows you to create many similar random patterns at a click of button. Unlike the original which is difficult to program, SilverBox is really easy and fun to use.
Sound quality The second most important aspect was the sound quality. SilverBox uses oversampling where necessary, to minimize annoying high-frequency aliasing artifacts at internal distortion, typical with virtual instruments. With its sophisticated 16x oversampled in-built distortion engine, SilverBox can drive your basslines with an amazing +80 dB into four types of saturation, with nearly no digital aliasing artifacts. That means, if your host runs at 44.1 kHz, then SilverBox processes sound internally at 705.6 kHz!
"Silverbox sounds amazingly good. It definitely has the 303 sound and it doesn't sound artificial like some virtual instruments do."
Alexander Arsov, Wusik Magazine
Efficiency Despite the extreme oversampling, SilverBox runs lightning fast on your SSE-enabled processor. Designed to utilize modern CPUs' efficient instruction sets, SilverBox can process 4 samples at once! This gives you a lightweight plug-in which allows you more instances, and leaves you more horsepower for the other tracks and plugins.
Extras In addition to the standard features, SilverBox has a bunch of extras as well. There are additional four unique filter modes with bandpass, highpass and peak responses, at the same time retaining the typical resonance character. The MIDI out feature allows you to drive another software of hardware synth with the SilverBox internal sequencer. And the noise feature adds some hiss, to make the sound less digital and sterile.

rhythmtech
27-11-2008, 11:27 PM
been using this a while now. its appeared on a few dtx303's and an upcoming vinyl release on a new(ish) acid label.

i love it as a differant flavour of 303 against the abl.

JamieBall
27-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Phoscyon FTW - by far the best in my book, though it only has the standard 303 sequencer...

loopdon
28-11-2008, 01:13 AM
You know your stuff, baz :wink:

The newest beta can also drive other synths via midi (which is good i reckon).
Even if you don't like the sound or want to also use another option like abl2 or d16 phos. this is a fantastic sketch-board, i am sure. You could always lay out your lines in silverbox and rebuild them in other synths. I think about it as adding another colour to the palette..

The_Laughing_Man
28-11-2008, 05:03 AM
What is the sound like?
SO many amulaters lose the bottom end on the filter when squeeling it.

and how does the accent envelope behave?
Does it interact and smear over to other notes in a natural "303" way?

BloodStar
28-11-2008, 09:09 AM
using this for a while too. it has good sound, but keep crashing time to time...

loopdon
28-11-2008, 07:24 PM
What is the sound like?
SO many amulaters lose the bottom end on the filter when squeeling it.

and how does the accent envelope behave?
Does it interact and smear over to other notes in a natural "303" way?

Unfortunately i have no experience with real 303s. So i can't give you a faithful answer here. From what i have read and a review or two in magazines i think it
is in the 'top 3' if you will. There's a demo there which you might want to try.
And the development hasn't come to a hault/the developer seems open to suggestions, so if there's stuff to get adressed it most likely will be.

I am glad i bought it, couldn't quite get my head around the more traditional 303 programming style. Esp in respect to slides / accents - with silverbox it feels natural and logical to me.

278d7e64a374de26f==