PDA

View Full Version : Is Ableton a good choice for me?

tekboi
27-11-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm a little confused, I know it doesn't really come down to specific software, its how it is used, just need some confirmation before I choose and start putting a lot of time in one piece of software.

I had my eyes on learning and using Ableton LIVE as my sequencer platform but it seems when I bring it up with many producers they all seem to lean on Cubase or Logic or Pro Tools, how is Ableton as a sequencer and either way it does have the power to sequence my tracks with no limitations?

The thing is, I know that putting all the cons and pros aside for any software, its all about how good you can use that piece of software, it doesnt really matter all that much when I am a beginner but at the same time, just want to confirm that Ableton is a good step for me, not for learning, as a sequencer itself, is it a good option to use it as my platform for production, I just need confirmation as I will be putting a hell of a lot of time in it???

Just need to know before I start putting a lot of time into learning this specific software, thanks guys!

rhythmtech
27-11-2008, 11:24 PM
when it comes to pro audio software everyone has their own preferance. dont let opinions make your decision for you. theres a ton of demos and lite versions available for every sequencer. try them all and decide what suits your workflow.

personally i prefer cubase for midi and pro-tools for audio.. but the next person will proably tell you something completly differant :-)

just remember that you can only get out of it what you're prepared to put into it.

DannyBlack
28-11-2008, 12:44 AM
Ableton allows me to put my owns farts (im serious) into techno sets. For me it's a win.

herman
28-11-2008, 01:02 AM
As RT said try out as many as you can before hand. The work flow of DAW's is more important than features as most top end stuff has all you will need anyway.

Personally I use Ableton for almost everything now even after using Cubase since v2 on the Atari days (more years than I care to mention :) ) Ableton is probably one of the easier DAW's to learn though that's certainly worth considering if you're new to it all.

The_Laughing_Man
28-11-2008, 05:11 AM
Ableton is really intuitive and easy to learn, but can be a bit busy and fiddly when you get more into things.

If you are just beginning you might consider trying something a little more closed off like reason, as it is a good starter package that has plenty of growth potential and is totally self contained

278d7e64a374de26f==